borders? eclectic vs uninformed?

MagsStardustBlack

Hiya,

Im considering my borders and was tempted to do individual borders unique to each card for my Creeped Out Oracle. Does this sound ridiculous, is it the norm to have them similar for uniform presentation in spreads, aesthetic purpose I guess. Im tempted to do different ones, per card environment and scene related?

Thanks, Mags ;.)

Carla

My vote would be for uniform borders. A lot of people like the option of cropping borders, so having them the same on all cards is convenient. Plus it looks nice (in my opinion). You might also consider a border on the backs of your cards, matching the front, for the same reason. On the other hand, it's your creation, so you should really do as your heart leads.

Are you thinking of black borders or white? :)

MagsStardustBlack

My vote would be for uniform borders. A lot of people like the option of cropping borders, so having them the same on all cards is convenient. Plus it looks nice (in my opinion). You might also consider a border on the backs of your cards, matching the front, for the same reason. On the other hand, it's your creation, so you should really do as your heart leads.

Are you thinking of black borders or white? :)

Thankyou Carla for your opinion, its really helpful to me. Initially the cards were to be black and white (lead pencil) but I also got new colour pencils, so now im not sure as some of the cards would be amazing in colour like The Meadow. So I may do monochrome with white borders. Or colour, with black borders?

garmonbozia

I vote no borders :p

Luca

Hi!
I think it much depends on the visual style you're going to use for your deck.
The risk of using a different border for each card (or no borders at all) is to end up with a deck whose cards seem to come from different decks once they are laid out in a spread, unless you're using a defined and distinctive style for your deck.
An example: one of my favorite decks is the Zigeuner Tarot by Walter Wegmuller. If you try and search for images of this deck, you will notice that each card has a unique border. Anyway, they share common elements and the visual style is consistent throughout the deck so that you get a sense of uniformity.
A classic example of a borderless deck is the Morgan Greer Tarot, and the same comments apply.
Having said that, the choice of using borders, different borders or no borders at all is just a question of personal taste.

Laura Borealis

I like decks where the borders are different, but in a uniform way, if that makes sense.

An example is the Housewives tarot: The majors have black and red borders, and then each suit has a different color border, but the pattern is the same for all of them. It's easy to tell at a glance what suits have turned up in a spread, but the style doesn't clash.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/housewives/

With your deck, I could see different borders being helpful to mark your different categories. :)