Buckland Romani Jewels

Emeraldgirl

I was reading through the book and I noticed that a lot of emphasis being placed on the jewels worn. So I thought I would break it down with the books meanings and get some thoughts on it. Any other thoughts on the meanings of the gemstones and how they relate to the cards are welcome or any other thoughts and/or observations :)

Magician: She is wearing a blue bead necklace representing patience, understanding and tranquillity.
The Amber beads on her arm represent fire, energy and nature.

High Priestess: She is wearing a blue bead necklace representing patience, understanding and tranquillity. Amber beads representing warmth life and nature.
Red beads representing strength, courage, health and sexual love.
Blue turquoise and silver representing neutrality and understanding with patience and communication.

Empress: She is wearing a blue bead necklace representing patience, understanding and tranquillity.

Emperor: Black stone ring of office (it doesn’t specify what kind of gem stone)

The Lovers: She is wearing a blue bead necklace representing patience, understanding and tranquillity.

Strength: She is wearing blue beads in her hair representing patience, understanding and tranquillity.
Also she has Amber beads around her waist representing fire, warmth, energy and nature.

Temperance: She is wearing a necklace of adventurine and turquoise. Adventurine is a stone found in India homeland of the Romani, and worn to bring alignment with one’s centre, to increase perception and create insight. It is for positive attitudes toward life and for emotional tranquillity.
The turquoise is for peace of mind, communication, emotional balance and creative expression.
Also she is wearing a large necklace of copper and gold hung hearts symbol of love and affection, attraction and confidence.

Star: She is wearing 3 necklaces. One of ruby representing regeneration and spiritual devotion. A stone of integrity.
Sapphire which is important to those on a spiritual path, promoting enlightenment and devotion. It also give courage.
Lapis brings contact with higher self and promotes psychic abilities.
The pearls on her bodice are soothing stones and good for meditation.

Emeraldgirl

And the minors

9 of Bolers (Wheels): She is wearing an amber necklace representing fire, warmth, energy and nature.
Also she is wearing a turquoise necklace representing peace of mind, communication, emotional balance and creative expression

10 of Bolers (Wheels): She is wearing what appears to be amber but it does not appear in the book.

Queen of Bolers (Wheels): She is wearing a turquoise necklace peace of mind, communication, emotional balance and creative expression. great for the suit I think especially for the mothering aspect of this card
She is also wearing a jade and carnelian necklace.
Carnelian is for energy, life and nature and is a wonderful grounding stone. great for the suit I think
Jade is for wisdom and protection and dispels negativity. the wisdom she can pass on to others?

4 of Koros (Cups): Appears to be 1 blue bead necklace and 2 red but is not mentioned in the book.

10 of Koros (Cups): Both women appear to be wearing blue beads but it isn’t mentioned in the book.

Page of Koros (Cups): She is wearing a turquoise necklace peace of mind, communication, emotional balance and creative expression. Emotional balance would be good for cups
She is also wearing a necklace of carnelian representing energy, life and nature and is a wonderful grounding stone. maybe the cups sometimes need grounding

Queen of Koros (Cups): She is wearing 1 ruby necklace representing regeneration and spiritual devotion, a stone of integrity. I think this relates most to the spiritual devotion
She is also wearing 2 necklaces of Blue Sapphire which is important to those on a spiritual path, promoting enlightenment and devotion. It also give courage. Once again I think it’s great for the suit of cups

Queen of Koshes (staves): She is wearing an amber necklace fire, warmth, energy and nature. - well suited to the firey element of the wands I think
She is also wearing a lapis necklace which brings contact with higher self and promotes psychic abilities. – Something I haven’t really associated with wands before
Also she is wearing a garnet necklace which strengthens and purifies and has a strong affinity with the root chakra. well suited to the wands I think
She is also wearing a jade and carnelian necklace.
Carnelian is for energy, life and nature and is a wonderful grounding stone. great for the suit of wand firey element again I think
Jade is for wisdom and protection and dispels negativity.
2 of Chivs (knives): She is wearing 1 ruby necklace representing regeneration and spiritual devotion, a stone of integrity. perhaps she needs the devotion and beliefs to tie the man up like that – I always have though of them as a couple and she not happy with his dangerous work
Also the pearls on her headscarf are soothing stones and good for meditation. once again needed for the task at hand

Queen of Chivs (knives): She is wearing 1 ruby necklace representing regeneration and spiritual devotion, a stone of integrity. perhaps she needs the devotion and concerntration for the sword she is handling
She is also wearing a necklace of Jet which used to be known as black amber, useful for warding off evil and especially effective to counteract deep depression Jet was also a stone of mourning for the Victorians which could draw in the sometimes widow/ended relationship aspect of this card

sharpchick

I love the traits attributed to each of the gems, and tend to take the view that the Romani wore them as another way of connecting with the earth - the gems being of the earth.

memries

Emeraldgirl

I must say I love gems ! How very fascinating your posts are above. I am still waiting for my Buckland Romani deck that I bought from Australia.

I might mention that in the Old Testament of the Bible, Jacob wore an Ephod (I think that is the correct name) anyway I mean the Breastplate and in it were jewels representing the 12 tribes of Israel. Each tribe had a jewel.
I have a ladyfriend who studied all that and while I cannot remember all the things she told me I know that they were very important. Each one of course, I think, represented the qualities of the particular tribe.
Since my friend is a Prophet (and I am not kidding) she came to understand that her secret name was Esmeralda ! She believed that somehow or other she was a descedant of that tribe. (I can't remember which now) I should talk to her again and get it all back. Should have written it all down so it would not be lost.
Also I thought the Romani's were a nomadic tribe in Central Europe who kind of just wandered. I was unaware of their connection to India. I do admit to a lack of knowledge in this area and am very interested. Are they the same then that may have been in many Countries or ?

EminemsAngelBaby

Wow, Emeraldgirl,
Thanks for typing all of that out. What a great reference thread for the deck. The jewels do seem to play a large part in the culture and there are so many of them. It's nice to have a thread to refer to with all the info in the same place:).

Memries
Congrats on getting the Buckland Romani. It's such a beautiful deck and so intuitive. Enjoy!

memries

Hi Everyone ! My Buckland Romani deck arrived today just in time for my birthday. I always buy myself a great birthday present. Can't wait for the day to be over to go to bed in peace and check out the cards and all the jewels listed above. It looks to be very colorful and kind of clean printed and I like the pictures very much on the cards. Handsome men and beautiful women. It is going to be such fun learning all about it !

Grizabella

The legend goes that the Gypsies were driven from Egypt carrying some kind of ancient secrets in the form of the tarot. (Not true, as it turns out.) The name "Gypsy" is a derivation of "Egyptian". I have the Buckland deck and love it so much that I even have a second, backup deck.

sharpchick

Emeraldgirl said:
Queen of Chivs (knives): She is wearing 1 ruby necklace representing regeneration and spiritual devotion, a stone of integrity. perhaps she needs the devotion and concerntration for the sword she is handling
She is also wearing a necklace of Jet which used to be known as black amber, useful for warding off evil and especially effective to counteract deep depression Jet was also a stone of mourning for the Victorians which could draw in the sometimes widow/ended relationship aspect of this card

This is my favorite queen of the deck. I can see the fierce independence in her a mile away. I think I must personally identify strongly with her, because if you read Buckland's comments about gypsy life in the companion book, you'll see that he decribes Romani domestic life as one where the men do all the talking and decision making, but only after [private] consultation with their wives and selected older women of the tribe. Sort of a quasi-patriarchal society, in my view. . .

I see this queen as one of those who will make her views clearly known to her man, and maybe even the whole clan, if she feels it necessary, and if her psychic abilities have borne fruit in the past which was beneficial to the tribe. So more than seeing the jet as a stone of mourning, I see it as a stone of protection against those who would seek to silence her.

And I just bet she can use that knife. . . ;)