Can my expectations on the answers the cards give proyect in the cards that show up?

Frannie

I'm having a doubt on this subject; for example when reading for myself, or really for anybody else regarding any issue. I concentrate on the question/issue but for some reason I find myself expecting to pull the cards that will turn out positive.
Does this affect (my expectations on what cards I would like to get) the actual cards that show up?

Schehrazada

Actually...

Hi Frannie,

Actually I don't think it will change the cards. I read in different books that no matter what you expect, how you shuffle or who shuffles the cards, tarot is always going to show what you need to know at that specific time in your life.

What it can highly be affected is your capability to perform an objective reading. And this I say based on my own experience. You want the cards to show a certain pattern, so one way or another, you find this pattern in the reading.

Learning to be objective is a hard and long process. I guess it takes many, many readings and exchanges with others. And I think that it also has to do with our philosophy about life. If you expect the universe, or God or forces that you care for to give you the best available at any given time, you will trust that whatever happens will be the best for you at that time. This can take the anxiety state away from you and make you read more accurately. (Of course, this is easier said than done... LOL).

Best,

S.

Frannie

Hi Sherezada

Thank you very much for your answer. I guess I'll have to work on my objetivity, though it's hard!

Pao

I think this also has to do with the topic of bias if im not mistaken which has been discussed a lottttttt recently b/c we all seem to have that problem. i would like to think that the cards that show up are the right cards for the situation but its the way we read them that causes the trouble i guess. being objective is tough, specialy when reading for yourself.

Read thru the other threads it might help out. :) I still have no idea how it works so ill try to work on my objectivity :confused:

Heavensent

From my experience and what I know and have been told, the cards that show up are the right cards you are supposed to get no matter how "nice" you want them to be. We as readers do them an injustice by interpreting what we want to see and what we want them to be but that does a GREAT disservice to the person you are reading for even if its yourself. NOTHING in life is always going to or supposed to be peachy and NOTHING is always going to be not so peachy:). Just what I know for sure;)

Schehrazada

Frannie said:
Hi Sherezada

Thank you very much for your answer. I guess I'll have to work on my objetivity, though it's hard!

It is tough! Some of us are working on this every day. My good guess is that almost every reader out there has or has had difficulties in reading for themselves. I wish you the best!

S.

BodhiSeed

In another thread here on AT, someone gave a quote made by Zorya (former AT member) that I think is quite relevant here:

"If you are attached to a perceived outcome, you may miss opportunities for the truth."

I have to agree with others - I don't think the cards we pull are affected, but I do think our interpretation of the reading can be.

Bodhran

Abrac

I also believe that our thoughts will not effect what cards we get one way or another. Personally I think the cards we get are by random chance really. The job of the reader is to interpret whatever cards show up. Naturally an interpretation is going to be colored to some extent by the thoughts, feelings, and beliefs of the interpreter.

I agree with others that trying to stay objective is important, but it may be an impossible task in the end. The interesting thing about Tarot is that any of the cards can be viewed as either positive or negative, so regardless of the cards drawn, the reader's bias is going to play a role in deciding which cards should be interpreted which way.

Mellifluous

I agree with Abrac. :) Complete objectivity is impossible. Humans have to read the cards, they don't read themselves. So, I think it's a waste of energy to worry about it too much. Just make an honest effort to go with your gut feelings about whatever you see and leave it at that. The particular reader of the moment may be the one you need to hear from as much as the particular cards drawn are the ones you need to see. (Excluding charlatans, of course.)

I don't think whatever card you're thinking of affects which one turns up. However, I do believe as your intuitive muscle is strengthened, and your intimacy with the cards deepens, when you read for yourself sometimes you'll know certain cards are going to turn up before you physically turn them over and see them. That happens to me sometimes.

balenciaga

Cards Have Their Own Message

There are times when I feel rotten and the cards are happy and sunny. There are times when I am excited and happy, but my cards are dark and pessimistic. So, i agree with all who said you pull the cards you are meant to get - whether you agree or disagree with the message or not. In time it all makes sense.