Can Tarot Be Dangerous?a Very Serious Question

ahimsa666

A family friend just told me that Tarot is dangerous and evil.Her niece,when she was a teenager, used tomeddle with some energies she didn't really respected.She tried hypnosis, fortune-telling via very many means, she did a spiritualistic seance and read Tarot cards, and tried many more things like telepathy or hiromancy.I remember that her stories fascinated me (I was about 10 then and she was 15).And remember clearly what she said about the Tarot.She told me that you couldn't ask the cards silly questions or the same question over and over again (It's not that obvious to a 10-year-old :)),or that you cannot use them too often.She added that they possessed her.She said that she had used them a lot and didn't treat the readings seriously and that they had made their revenge.It's a fact that something bad happened to her-whether these wre Tarot cards or some spirits she woke-nobody knows.She insisted these were Tarot cards.And,as a result,she burned them.This is what I recalled when the afore mentioned family friend told me about the evil hidden in the Tarot deck.And she said that her niece behaves in a weird, bad-tempered way until she stopped reading Tarot.And,what is more!, she said that not so long ago she had watched a programme on Tarot.And in this programme Tarotists said that one shouldn't use Tarot without the help of some very experienced teacher.And,best thing of all,better not use it at all.(so-why the became Tarotists? :/) My mother got scared and told our friend taht she had already noticed that I do nothing but read the cards...So-in turn-my mum made me think that I should put the tarot away for some time.Besides,readings are very tiring for me.I'm not finishimg with Tarot-I'm still going to learn.I will just stop reading the cards for some time and I'd better see how the readings I've already done develop as the time passes....The only thing I can say is that: Yes, I got very devoted to learning Tarot,maybe too much (but I always do it-with everything-I'm Pisces :D) ...And,yes,I must admit ,I haven't been feeling like doing the readings for a few days now because the previous readings and studying Tarot-simply drained me of my energy.I mean-not of my energy to live,just of the energy needed to do more readings.Do you think I need help?And is tarot really dangerous?What could have caused this young girl's (now a woman) problems? I'm looking forward to your replies.

Unknownspirit

ahimsa666 said:
The only thing I can say is that: Yes, I got very devoted to learning Tarot,maybe too much (but I always do it-with everything-I'm Pisces :D) ...And,yes,I must admit ,I haven't been feeling like doing the readings for a few days now because the previous readings and studying Tarot-simply drained me of my energy.I mean-not of my energy to live,just of the energy needed to do more readings.Do you think I need help?And is tarot really dangerous?What could have caused this young girl's (now a woman) problems? I'm looking forward to your replies.

Feeling drained is really no big deal. Doing tarot reading takes energy, if you do it too much I guess that you could get tired. I have never had a problem with this but I have heard other people have.
Tarot is not dangerous, unless you tell the wrong person that would get mad at you for doing it.
Anything could have caused the girls problem, but I don't think that it was the tarot. Maybe she was having problems at school, or was really unhappy about what the tarot told her.

Little Baron

Anything can be dangerous.

A knife can be dangerous if it is not used properly.

But it can be an effective tool as well .. to cut yourself some cheese.

I would suggest that there is nothing dangerous about the tarot, if not used in an obsessive behaviour.

I would also suggest that if readings are tiring you, then ease off of doing too many for a while.

There are many, many members here and I can tell you that the majority are extremely healthy in mind, body and spirit.

There are a lot of 'old wives tales' to be told and passed down. It seems that you have been the unfortunate recipient of a few too many.

LB

ahimsa666

Thank you both!-that's what I'm trying to tell myself-that everything can be both useful and dangerous.As to this girls' problems-I think her problem was more serious-very probably she developed a kind of addiction to the Tarot.You can be a shopping addict these days-so why not the Tarot addict?But-are there any ppl-who,nevertheless,think that Tarot may cause problems?

Little Baron

You are right. There is light and dark in everything. And there are also extremes.

One can enjoy themselves but too much of a think can not be good for your soul, as well as your body - for example, food, drink, wild nights out.

Tarot can give some very prophetic and enlightening messages, but if you over-do it, the messages become confusing. When you become confused, you blame the tarot. Then you burn the cards.

We are all different. And I expect that this girl was different as well. She may very well have taken the messages from the cards very literally, as apose to looking at them from different angles, reflecting on them and seeing how they 'could' affect her life.

LB

serenaserendipity

hi ahimsa--

i welcome a chance to answer your question because it's important for me to find perspective on this as well!

i've kind of fallen in love with tarot lately, i've been giving lots of readings for people all over the world and i feel really good about being able to help people and share my ability to read tarot.

but BEFORE i found this forum where people could share with each other, i was OBSESSED with the computer tarot websites, where they give you an instant reading. i see now i was just in a learning process. i had an epiphany breakthrough when i found this website, because it allowed me to interact with others instead of just with the computer, obsessing over my own questions!

but to answer your question more directly-- you have to have a curious, inquiring mind to even have the desire to do tarot. you have to have a certain amount of introspectve ability. you have to have a certain degree of appreciation for metaphor. you have to be able to look at your life as more than what's on your day's plate, but in a larger arc. in other words, you have to be a philosopher whos looking inwards and outwords, looking for the meaning of things...

sometimes if there is too much curiousity that leads to anxiousness, that can be a problem... we don't always need to know ahead of time how things are going to turn out in order to live our lives fully.... a blind person can still feel their way through the universe; but taking a blindfold off for a sighted person is more like how i feel about tarot...

tarot develops a deeper sense of the other hidden dimensions of life...

but if you become dependent on it, and lose your own intuition, it CAN become dangerous, as can any dependence on anything!!!

bless you and good luck on your journey!

sincerely,
serendipity

Moonbow

ahimsa666 said:
...And is tarot really dangerous?What could have caused this young girl's (now a woman) problems? I'm looking forward to your replies.

I believe that if a person belives in something strongly enough, they can make it happen. I also believe that if a person convinces themselves of something, then they will believe it.

Obviously I don't know what actually happened to this girl, but I know that the only thing that can hurt us is our own fear. Easy to say, and sometimes even knowing this, doesn't give us control. I don't believe that Tarot is harmful, I believe its spiritual. I would advise that each individual should not listen to rumours and tales but find their own path.

Moon mind

LittleBuddha said:
Anything can be dangerous.

A knife can be dangerous if it is not used properly.

But it can be an effective tool as well .. to cut yourself some cheese.

I would suggest that there is nothing dangerous about the tarot, if not used in an obsessive behaviour.

I would also suggest that if readings are tiring you, then ease off of doing too many for a while.

There are many, many members here and I can tell you that the majority are extremely healthy in mind, body and spirit.

There are a lot of 'old wives tales' to be told and passed down. It seems that you have been the unfortunate recipient of a few too many.

LB

WOW!
you said so well!

Little Baron

I agree with what you say about fear, Moonbow.

Take the thread about the 'New Orleans Voodoo Tarot' as an example.

For your benefit, Ahimsa666, if you didn't read it, it is about a deck that I found more than a little creepy. Another member also had the same experience with the deck, causing him to lock it in a box for the past thirteen years. His reasoning was that this deck played a part in the breakdown of his marriage and other chaotic events when he was using it. I am sure there was more to it than this deck but in his mind, it was a contributing factor. Unlike your friend, who burnt her deck, he taped his up and put it in storage.

Maybe he had a point. Maybe the cards were 'evil'. Can cards be evil?

I don't know.

But once you decide that that object (be it a deck of cards, an old vase or an ouija board) is the cause of trouble and strife in your mind or daily events, anything that happens, which isn't possitive, you will attribute to that item. A tarot deck, because of the superstitions that have always surrounded the art of tarot, can be a good whipping boy or excuse for the troubles that people who do not understand them can direct negative energy towards.

LB

Little Baron

Moon mind said:
WOW!
you said so well!

Thank you.

That's very kind of you to say so.

LB