Card care and maintenance

Kiama

My Robin Wood deck can probably be classed as overused. I have been using in mostly exculsively for over a year now, and its been through alot. But now its started to show it.

The cards themselves are bending upwards vertically, so it makes it a bit difficult to shuffle them. This may've been caused by a certain person *Kiama throws a glance at Malachite ;p * who decided he would riffle my cards instead of lace them! I'm not sure though.

My question is, how can I stop this happening even further? How can I get them back to how they were?

Kiama

Jeanette

Kiama, I'm no expert, but I would think that once the damage is done, it can't be reversed if this is a deck you plan on still using. What I mean is, perhaps you could restore them using some kind of method antiques dealers, museums, and such would use, but it would be pointless if you'll still be handling them. If it's the corners coming apart in layers, maybe a tiny bit of glue, and then compress the card between heavy books and left overnight to dry. This would be time consuming and probably wouldn't last too long. You could just get a new replacement deck, and offer the used one to overly-energetic shuffling friends ! :)

Thirteen

Quote:Kiama (30 Jan, 2002 18:46):
My question is, how can I stop this happening even further? How can I get them back to how they were?

I agree with Jeanette. Luckily, this isn't a rare or obscure deck. If it was, then you'd really have a problem. But this deck can be "reincarnated" easily. Remember, the spirit of a really good deck never dies, it just moves into a new pack.

Lay the old one to rest with all due ceremony--bury, burn or incinerate it--but have the new one nearby, ready to crack open when you're done. In this way, you can reincarnate your faithful deck, restoring it to the way it was on the day you bought it.

Talisman

'Lo, Kiama,

Here's something from an early preface to Rachel Pollack's "Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom."

Rachel and her partner went to Europe, and Rachel writes, "We took our cards with us, laying them out on tent floors by candlelight, carrying them in our backpacks through rainstorms and snow until they took on the look of a deck handed down through generations."

Now, this is a deck that has been well-seasoned. My Robin Wood deck looks okay, but feels this way, soft and warm in my hands.

My first deck, the Aquarian, looks okay, but the edges are warm worn gray and the deck feels soft and shabby. The deck has never been re-ordered, so the very first shuffle-layout when I opened the deck brand-new with excitement is still there. The colors have changed. What was white is now ivory.

Order your deck fore-square. Sit your heaviest dictionary on top, and let the deck rest awhile. (If you don't have a heavy dictionary, shame on you!)

When you go off to the ends of the world, and can't carry your collection, which Tarot deck are you gonna shove in your pack?

Talisman

Butterfly

I've had quite a bit of success on frayed and seperating corners when I use clear nail polish. In fact you can't notice the corners as any different. Just paint them and squeeze them together- it only takes two minutes.

Logiatrix

kiama,
that vertical curl is easiliy remedied by simply shuffling (riffling) the deck the opposite direction of the curling. i've had to do this with several used decks. in trading, i don't like to hand over cards that look "beat up", so i've found many ways to fix decks. i have just about every color of felt-tip marker in the spectrum, for instance! nail polish is good, but i find that watered-down school glue (clear) isn't as heavy on the paper. for discolored edges on white cards, try correction fluid ("liquid paper" or "white-out"). a very light oil (almond, olive, etc.) will remove scratches from matte cards.
be very careful about what you choose to use for repair when it comes to chemical odors! i have tried glues and markers that left horrible, almost permanent smells on my cards--yuck! also, i've gotten decks with cigarette odor in them, so i baked them in the oven! (low temp, of course!) the heat for about 20 minutes, and handling the cards a lot, makes the smell go away.
good luck with your deck!

DeLani

Hey Kiama,
My Robin Wood is also my most-used deck. I have used it for almost 10 years now; both personally and at psychic fairs. I'm not exagerrating when I say I have done at least 1,000 readings with it.
It is beginning to fray, and looks a lot darker than brand new ones. It is softer and warmer. But I like that. It proves the deck has seen some years; it's been around awhile. Honor it's battle scars and signs of age!
But aside from aging, it sounds like there is actual damage - curling up and torn corners results from RIFFLE SHUFFLING. That is why I NEVER NEVER let anyone treat my cards that way. All I can say is try the great suggestions given here; and in the future, don't let anyone treat your cards that way again.
(OK, that's my opinion - they're your cards, do what you want :) )
Good luck,
DeLani

Pollux

Quote:Thirteen (31 Jan, 2002 09:01):
Lay the old one to rest with all due ceremony--bury, burn or incinerate it--but have the new one nearby, ready to crack open when you're done. In this way, you can reincarnate your faithful deck, restoring it to the way it was on the day you bought it.
This of Reincarnation sounds intriguing.
And I think it's even suited for the Imbolc itself!
A Holy Fire, smelly ashes to mourn death, a new deck to celebrate (re-)birth...
;p

Thirteen

Quote:pollux (02 Feb, 2002 01:19):
This of Reincarnation sounds intriguing.
And I think it's even suited for the Imbolc itself!
A Holy Fire, smelly ashes to mourn death, a new deck to celebrate (re-)birth...
;p

What an excellent idea! Imbolc's always gets me in the "spring cleaning" mood. Now you've got me thinking it's long past time to rid myself of some books and decks I bought but never really made use of. Not burn them, but give them away, perhaps, so they'll have a new life with someone else.

It's certainly up to Kiama as to whether it's time to let-go of this deck and reincarnate or restore and maintain. Feb. 2, however, would be a perfect day to do either.

Kiama

You guys have put me in quandary. I can hardly see myself letting go of my deck! I don't know why, but I just can't... Howver, n the bookshop about 10 minutes walk away from me, there is another Robin Wood deck looking very *very* tempting! Oh dear...

Kiama