Cards of The Gift movie

Kimon

Hello,
does anyone know which cards were used in the movie "The Gift"?
Thanks,
Kimon

Kaleidoscope Eyes

One of my favorite movies of the last year! Southern Gothic at its finest.

A friend of mine who shares an interest in Tarot recently dusted off her cards after seeing "The Gift," and she asked me the same question. My thought was that those cards were just rather generic ones created for the movie, so there would be no mistake in anyone's mind what those three wavy-lined cards signified. If you've seen the movie, you know which scene I'm talking about, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I dunno, I could be wrong, though, and maybe cards like these do exist. I'd be interested in knowing, and so would my friend.

-r

Kimon

Hello,
yes, I was thinking of that too, that they were created for the movie, because there just seemed to be four symbols in that deck.
There is a card game in Brazil, called Togot, which works with that sort or abstract symbols; but there are much more of them.
I cannot get the book now, because I am moving to Portugal, but there is a site in the internet for the Togot.
Greetings,
Kimon

Melvis

When I was in high school I did a project on ESP for a science class. The ESP "Test" I would give people for the project consisted of having them look at the back of a small card that I held up facing myself. I would concentrate on the symbol on the card, while the person tried to read my thoughts and say what was on the card. The cards had the same symbols on them as in the movie: circle, triangle, wavy lines, etc.

It looked to me as if they were some sort of standardized symbology that was used all over the world (so they could be used by people who spoke & wrote different languages, I assume). It actually surprised me to see them used in the movie because the cards I knew of were limited to about 5 symbols. But then I thought, "Well, DUH! That's her 'Gift!' She can read your future using just about any old cards!"

BTW, I never found anyone who had a better-than-chance score on the ESP test. I was disappointed until I decided that I'd probably been administering the test incorrectly and that was why I couldn't find anyone 'gifted!' 8)

Peace,

Melvis

StarShine

Okay guys, this movie sounds pretty interesting. Who does it have in it, what is it about and is it on video? Sorry, but it seems like a familiar title, but I can't place it. I guess it time to crawl out from under my rock, huh?

Melvis

Starshine: It is on video (that's how I saw it); it came out last year; it stars Cate Blanchett, Giovanni Ribisi, Keanu Reeves, and many others. It was written by Billy Bob Thornton and somebody else. Here's a link to the Internet Movie Database page for this movie:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0219699

It tells who's in it, what it's about, etc. Very good flick! I highly recommend it!

Peace,

Melvis

Kiama

The cards Melvis is referring to (The ones he used in a test) are called Zenner Cards. I was quite surprised, reading this thread and seeing a brief trailer for th efilm, to find out that more than 5 cards were used.. Cuz I first thought they were Zenner cards aswell.

Looks like I'm gonna have to see this film