Casting Runes...

HearthCricket

I have recently started purchasing Runes and books on Runes. I've begun with the Runecaster's Handbook, by Edred Thorsson, and was curious if my experiment with runecasting was correct, today.

I took all the rosequartz runes out of the bag. Thought on my question and tossed them onto the rug. I quickly pulled up all the ones that had turned upside down and pushed them aside. I then closed my eyes, picked out three runes and used these for a reading. They were Berkano, Elhaz, and Laguz.

They reflected both my daily pick for today as well as a comprehensive reading with the Madame Endora Oracle that I did last night. All leaned towards a new spiritual journey, a fresh awakening, and that higher beings are watching over my every step and making sure I don't take a wrong turn, which was comforting, yet almost a forewarning to watch my step or else!

Was my procedure in casting runes legitimate? Thank you!

miss_nikki

The problem is, no one is absolutely sure what the most legitimate form of casting is.

To my knowledge, the most descriptive example in the lore was penned by Tacitus. He basicly said that the runecaster threw them down, looked up to the sky, and pulled three.

We're not sure if he meant to pull exactly the number three, if he was looking to the sky for a sign - or just looking away so he could randomly pull, etc etc.

A lot of people pull three to represent Past Present Future, I guess to symbolize the Norns/Fate.

I personally just pull a daily rune in the morning.

HTH!

HearthCricket

miss_nikki said:
The problem is, no one is absolutely sure what the most legitimate form of casting is.

True. And I see some books have incredibly technical ways of doing it, which to me, is too much. What I did seemed natural. Discard the ones that flipped over backwards, then look away or close your eyes to pick the three for past/present/future or as a whole. Came out nicely, anyhow! So, maybe this is my way. And a little prayer cast up to Odin and Freya, of course, to guide me on my way!

miss_nikki

Freya is my #1 girl :) I bet she appreciates you remembering Her too...

Rede Seeker

Experiment...Experiment...Experiment

Good advice all around.

It sounds like you have worked out a good system for yourself - Rune casting and card divination as a validation. The best way to see if this system is right for you is to keep using it for a while, log the results, and check your accuracy.

Don't be surprised if the system you are using starts to let you down after a while. It could mean that you've 'graduated' from this method and should try a casting/reading method that is more complex.

Good Luck - it sounds like you are on the right track.