Charging the cards with the moon & the sun.

Inconnu

There seems to be a general agreement that occasional exposure to full moonlight is healthy for any pack. A few nights helps energize them. I like this idea. I think it has basis in the history of occultism.

I do this when the moon is in the right position through the window in my home office on the leather top desk. The cards get a few hours a night.

But I don't recall reading that sunlight is good for charging the cards. The same place I use to expose the cards to moonlight also allows a few hours of sunlight each day.

When for a few days I don't use the desk I leave the cards out for exposure to both lunar & solar forces. I mix them up a bit during this time.

The Moon card is mysterious, but the Sun card has direct power. The Moon is a reflection of solar energy, but the Sun is the source of life giving power.

I think that for purposes of "charging the cards" that controlled direct sunlight is the source of power, with moonlight being a reflective effect.

I want to hear others thoughts on this...

ravenest

There seems to be a general agreement that occasional exposure to full moonlight is healthy for any pack. A few nights helps energize them. I like this idea. I think it has basis in the history of occultism.

History! "SquawRRRK!" - That word is nearly taboo !
I do this when the moon is in the right position through the window in my home office on the leather top desk. The cards get a few hours a night.

But I don't recall reading that sunlight is good for charging the cards. The same place I use to expose the cards to moonlight also allows a few hours of sunlight each day.

Prob because tarot relate to psychic/intuition/occult generally in common consciousness and the Moon goes more with that energy than the Sun does ?
When for a few days I don't use the desk I leave the cards out for exposure to both lunar & solar forces. I mix them up a bit during this time.

The Moon card is mysterious, but the Sun card has direct power.

Perhaps because astrologically < ducks ... ALRIGHT! Who threw that?! > The Sun card relates to the Sun and the Moon card relates to Pisces ( Priestess relates to Moon)

The Moon is a reflection of solar energy, but the Sun is the source of life giving power.
Yep ... and that creates many interesting dynamics. Some even say that is what we are, a reflective spark of a greater holistic 'Sun".

I think that for purposes of "charging the cards" that controlled direct sunlight is the source of power, with moonlight being a reflective effect.

I want to hear others thoughts on this...

Makes sense ... on the 'tarot magic' level.

nisaba

As a practising occultist, I like the idea. As a Tarotist, I never ever do it, and I never have.

The cards work. So why bother taking up my valuable time fussing over 119 things that work just as well without squandering the time?

ravenest

Oooooo .. cause we like to .... tinker ? :)

JoyousGirl

I charge my crystals at the full moon, sometimes give them a bit of sun, but I've never considered doing it to my cards. It's a nice idea though, and I suppose for people into a lot of ritual it might be their thing. But to me, I think the cards are quite satisfied and contented with a good fondling and some quality "us" time.

I must say that I keep mine in a silk bag and wooden box to protect them from outside energies for whatever reason - a bit like not letting anyone touch my crystals unless they're for healing.

Each their own I guess. A little ritual is a good thing and whatever keeps your connection with your cards strong.

Inconnu

Thanks all, appreciate your thoughts.

KristinCali

I love the full moon and I always lay my crystals, tarot decks, and magical tools out in the moonlight. BUT, I don't necessarily charge my decks, I clear them (I don't think charging is the correct term for what I believe :D)

As for the sunlight, as much as I love it, it's simply not practical because it fades both crystals and tarot decks (or the boxes they're in).

Another thing, a few times I set my things on the window sill, inside, and didn't notice the same effect as when I set them OUTside. So I prefer putting my things in a protected area outdoors. I feel like the moonlight is pure that way, not "diluted" by a pane of glass (probably just my silly preference).

Great question @Inconnu!

danieljuk

I charge my tarot cards and crystals on full moons. Normally on one that is special for whatever reason.

Just a warning, not all full moons are good for "your star sign". Some people ignore this and just use the energy from the moon light. But last month it was a nice full moon for my star sign Taurus, but this current one is quite harsh and so not using it to charge up. I am really only a beginner at astrology and just look at my astrology readings for the month.

In crystals some people use the moon and the sun for different crystal types.

I think do whatever feels best for you! try them both and see if it makes a difference for you.
But the Moon is seen as a intuitive energy more than the sun.

November's Dawn

I was thinking about charging them on sun moon but then I realized there is a better method for me and the reason why I don't do it is because of weather changes. I will never forget myself if i put them on moonlight, go to sleep and then next morning storm is raging or rain is falling and all of my decks are destroyed. The same way is going for the sun. I simply cleanse and charge decks in shuffling :)