Chinese throwing sticks?

northsea

Anyone use Chinese throwing sticks or seen them used? (Oops. 'throwing', not 'walking'.)

Papageno

are you referring to the Kuan Yin oracle sticks :confused:?

northsea

I'm not sure. What are those?

After googling, I think 'Chinese throwing sticks' is another term for I Ching yarrow sticks. I thought maybe it was something different.

Papageno

the walking sticks query threw me off LOL

not 100% certain, but I think you're asking about the Kuan Yin oracle sticks which consist of 100 numbered bamboo sticks, each stick corresponding to a poem which must be interpreted. they're housed in a round container which is shaken at a 90 degree angle away from the body. only the (single) stick that protrudes furthest out of the container is chosen.

these are completely different from the I-Ching yarrow stalks

it's basically identical to the Fal-e-Hafez cards, wherein each card is imprinted with a poem by the famous Persian mystic.

northsea

Aha. Thanks, Papageno.

willowfox

Yes, a lot of Buddhist temples have this fortune telling system available, and its free. The bamboo sticks each have a different number and are placed in a container, you shake the thing until one stick jumps out, then you go find the piece of paper which goes with the number to see what your fortune is. There is no standard number of sticks, different temples will have a different number of stick used. The little verses are very basic and can usually be adjusted to mean anything you want them to. They are certainly not very accurate or to be taken seriously.

They are available on eBay as well.