Collaborative Spread Creation #6 - Have Spread, Need Situation

rwcarter

Kreative-Dragon posted the following in this thread:

Kreative-Dragon said:
Okay, so I was trying DESPERATLY to get some sleep last night, and I also had my Tarot deck under my pillow (Friend of mine, Cerridwen [not the one here... I think], said it's good to connect with your cards) when I got this image of a Tarot Spread that I havn't seen before, and I was wondering if you guys could help me try and figure out it's meaning.

So first off, take your cards and place them in front of you, then spread them in a circular motion clockwise, like this . Then take cards and place them like this

***1***
*2*O*3*
***4***
***5***

so it looks like this

any ideas guys? What do you think this spread could be used for? What can it answer... what should I do with it? {It's now been 2 days since, and I'm itching to do something with it, but I don't know what.}

{I am going to post the Cards I first got so that we might be able to figure out what the different positions mean. I don't want a reading, I want to understand what this spread can be used for
1. Ace of Cups
2. Ace of Coins
3.Reversed Page of Coins
4. The Devil
5.Four of Wands
hope this adds another puzzle piece to this wonderful puzzle}
}

Interesting fact... wasn't last night the new moon?

So s/he has the layout of the spread, but needs help in figuring out what situation(s) it would be useful for and what the positional meanings could be. Some discussion has happened in the original thread, but to avoid confusion, I'd suggest folks post here and I'll sum up what we come up with in the original thread.

Rodney

rwcarter

Summary of existing suggestions from original thread:

Amanda_04 said:
I would be inclined to start with number 1 as the present of what's on the sitter's mind maybe. 2 as what's past, 3 as what's coming, but then also read 1 as the link between 2 and 3, and 4 would show what they are presently dealing with, and 5 would show what's underneath what they are currently dealing with. Then you could read 1 and 5 together as advice.

Prometheus Unbound said:
Well, starting with the circle: cycles might have a more clear focus. What feels better to you, an astrological cycle, a yearly/seasonal cycle, a birth/death/rebirth cycle? These are just examples, I am sure people can think of more.

For the outer cards: if a cycle is used for the circle, then the next step could be signposts of some type. For example, if you were to decide on a death/rebirth cycle, then the outer cards could represent the stages of adolescence or puberty, then middle age, or old age. If a yearly cycle is used, then the signposts could be the four astrological divisions (solstices/equinoxes.)

Personally, the position with the two cards could be the starting point (the bottom as current position, then the other four as linear signposts.) The signposts could signify when you get there, what to expect, things that may show that this stage is happening or will happen.

Then for further clarification, a card could be drawn between the four signposts as things that may help or hinder the progression along this cycle.

rwcarter

The key points I get from your original post were:
  • you were trying to fall asleep
  • you were bonding with your deck
  • there might've been a new moon when you envisioned the spread

Then you have the circle in the center of the spread that's formed by spreading the deck in a clockwise circular motion.

I think these are great starting points to decide what the spread's about.

Sleep
  • I don't know anyone who's able to fall asleep when their mind is racing, so falling asleep could be about trying to quiet the mind. So the spread could look at how to wind down to get to a still point.
  • Sleep is also the process by which the human body is regenerated, so the spread could be looking at something that needs to be regenerated or rejuvenated (a relationship, enthusiasm for a project or creative endeavor, self-rejuvenation in the form of starting an exercise program, losing weight, a make-over, etc).
  • It could also point that that which needs a rest or a time-out.

Bonding
  • The spread could focus on how to get closer to/form a deeper relationship with someone or something.
  • It could look at how to come to an understanding with someone/something.

New Moon/Moon Cycles
  • The New Moon is the beginning of the lunar cycle, so it's possible the spread could look at beginnings.
  • If you want to look at Moon cycles, they usually go counterclockwise according to wikipedia, which we could still accomplish if 3 and 4 were swapped.
  • The New Moon could represent nothingness out of which something (the full moon) is created, so the spread could look at the process of creating something where nothing currently exists.

Circle of Cards in the Center of the Spread
  • Since the circle is formed counterclockwise, that could lend weight to looking at the spread from the perspective of moon cycles.
  • Amanda_04 said it reminded her of the World, but the first things I thought of were Zero and the Moon itself.
    • As zero, it could represent the nothingness out of which something is created with the 5 cards showing the process of that creation.
    • As the Moon, the first 4 positions could still represent the phases of the moon.
  • It could represent the Earth with the first four positions representing the phases of the moon.
  • It could also represent the Wheel of Fortune with 1 representing success/being on top, 4 representing failure/being on the bottom, 2 represent moving from failure to success and 3 representing moving from success to failure.

Do any of these suggestions resonate Kreative-Dragon?

Rodney

Glass Owl

When I look at the layout of the cards (especially with that circle of cards in the center) I see a celtic cross.

http://www.123celtic-irish-jewelry.com/celticcrosshistory.asp

There is some speculation and various legend surrounding the celtic cross, how it came to be, why, and what it means. Some say that the St Patrick created the first Celtic cross when he combined the Latin cross and the pagan moon goddess symbol, which is a circle.

Very interesting that mentioned the new moon in your original post.

Some say that the circle represents eternity. Others point to it as corresponding to a cycle.

According to the article above, there are four pieces to a celtic cross: the base, the shaft, the head, and the upper cross arm. If one wanted to view your layout as a celtic cross perhaps those elements could be taken into account when thinking about possible position meanings?

***1***
*2*O*3*
***4***
***5***

1. The Head
2. and 3. The Upper Cross Arm (maybe these two could be read together?)
4. The Shaft
5. The Base

What also stuck out to me was the fact that the article said that the four parts of the celtic cross denote the four elements, the four directions, and the four parts of man. Maybe you could use the four parts of man (mind, body, soul, heart) in connection with the card positions? Something like:

Checking the Pulse of the following areas.

Card 1: The Head
My Mind and Thoughts
(Originally Posted by Amanda_04: "I would be inclined to start with number 1 as the present of what's on the sitter's mind")

Cards 2 & Card 3: The Upper Cross Arm
My Environment
2. My Inner Existence (family, home)
3. My External Existence (work, social, etc)

Card 4: The Shaft
My Heart and Emotions

Card 5: The Base
My Soul (spirit health, life energy, my connection to the divine/higher power)

Keep in mind these are just random thoughts that I'm throwing out here. Take what interests you (if anything) and leave the rest...

nisaba

***1***
*2*O*3*
***4***
***5***

My take would probably be something like this:

1 - the card that is there for your higher good
2 & 3 - people surrounding the situation and their influence
4 - grounding (reality)
5 - subconscious forces at work.

The ring of cards would be ... well ... a ring of cards. Useful for pulling any further cards out, if in the actual reading the spread seems to demand more.

(What's the deck in the picture?)

Kreative-Dragon

Justa point

This just keeps coming back to me, so I wanted to add it here. The circle is formed in a Clockwise Rotation, North to east to south to west... that sort of thing (no I don't think you have to be facing north to do the spread, that's just overly complex). Clockwise motions are supposed to draw and amplify energy, to bring it into ones self, so maybe that might also be an important part of the spread.

Also, thank you so much for opening this Thread. Going to help a lot already.

Blessings to all who help.

Glass Owl

nisaba said:
My take would probably be something like this:

1 - the card that is there for your higher good
2 & 3 - people surrounding the situation and their influence
4 - grounding (reality)
5 - subconscious forces at work.
Ohhhh, I like those.

Now that I really think about it, we both saw 2 & 3 in a similar fashion and that they go hand and hand. Cool.

Glass Owl

rwcarter said:
The Dragon Tarot by Terry Donaldson.
I don't have this deck but here is some info about the celtic dragon which I find intriguing.

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/celtic-history/celtic-dragons.html said:
...to the ancient Celt, the ley of the land meant how the magic or cosmic forces flowed through and affected the area, or how the area affected those forces. The Celts believed that dragons were creatures of the parallel world and their power and presence would affect the ley of the land.

The path of the dragons, called a vein, was critical to the flow of energy or ley of the land. If there was a spot that the dragon crossed often, a spot where the veins crossed or a spot where the dragon would stop to rest, that became a spot of heightened power. Stonehenge is thought to be one of those places. In addition, some believe that the Celtic Cross surrounded by a circle is a symbol of the crossing ley lines and how the circle of life should be centered on that power.

King Arthur himself was burdened by dreams of dragons; although it is unclear which color he saw.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Celtic-Cross-With-Dragon&id=2405359 said:
Celtic dragon art is often depicted with their tails in their mouths, forming what is known as the 'circle of life', symbolising eternal life. Dragons were used as a symbol of power, a good example of this is the dragon depicted on the Welsh national flag and in Celtic myths the name Uther Pendragon was given to Arthur's father.

Dragons do not feature in Ancient Celtic art and were most likely introduced to the Celts by wandering Vikings. Dragon is derived from the Greek 'to see clearly'. The Celts believed that dragons had gifts of vision, wisdom and even prophecy and that they were the guardians of all knowledge.

The Chinese Dragon is also associated with a pearl. It is usually in his mouth, his belly, or in his sights. The pearl can represent potential, truth, wisdom, and immortality.

http://www.ninedragonbaguazhang.com/dragons.htm said:
"This pearl can be said to stand most often for 'truth' and 'life' - perhaps even everlasting life which is made available to those who perceive the truth and attain enlightenment."

"In Daoist concepts the moon, pearls, dragons and serpents are inextricably linked. Like the snake that is reborn when it sheds its skin, the moon is reborn each month, and both are symbols of immortality. Like the dragon, the moon is always associated with water; its undeniable power over the tides is believed to extend to all liquids on earth. The dragons that lived in the sea were said to be inordinately fond of pearls and collected them and watched over them in great submarine palaces."

Kreative-Dragon

Glass Owl said:
I don't have this deck but here is some info about the celtic dragon which I find intriguing.

...to the ancient Celt, the ley of the land meant how the magic or cosmic forces flowed through and affected the area, or how the area affected those forces. The Celts believed that dragons were creatures of the parallel world and their power and presence would affect the ley of the land.

The path of the dragons, called a vein, was critical to the flow of energy or ley of the land. If there was a spot that the dragon crossed often, a spot where the veins crossed or a spot where the dragon would stop to rest, that became a spot of heightened power. Stonehenge is thought to be one of those places. In addition, some believe that the Celtic Cross surrounded by a circle is a symbol of the crossing ley lines and how the circle of life should be centered on that power.

King Arthur himself was burdened by dreams of dragons; although it is unclear which color he saw.

The Chinese Dragon is also associated with a pearl. It is usually in his mouth, his belly, or in his sights. The pearl can represent potential, truth, wisdom, and immortality.

Okay, THAT is cool... so we now have a circle SURROUNDED by a Celtic Cross... wonder what that could mean. Of course I'm in love with all that info... I'm somewhat obsessed when it comes to Dragons