Connecting with ancestral guardians

khatsar

I talk at my ancestors a lot without necessarily "calling" them to me. They communicate with me via feelings, dreams, and tarot at key points...sometimes I will even feel a light touch on my face or arms when I am being silly or anxious. But sometimes I wonder what it would be like to really converse with them and to specifically ask them questions and get clear verbal answers. Dreams and tarot cards can be misinterpreted after all...and I tend to get the best mileage out of those when I'm fasting or during an eclipse, when I'm sometimes too physically scattered or overwhelmed to fully understand what I am getting.

I have had precious little time with extended family and was only able to meet one grandparent in life, so I am very curious to know my ancestors.

Does anyone perform any practices that work for you that help you see or hear your ancestors to learn more about them and what they would like to share with you?

celticnoodle

Does anyone perform any practices that work for you that help you see or hear your ancestors to learn more about them and what they would like to share with you?

Just what you already post you are doing--talking to them daily. I do also ask them to help me with things, and when whatever 'the thing' was is answered, I make sure to thank them. I have even gone as far as 'lending' them out to friends, and they seem to also help my friends receive the answers to problems that they needed help with.

Now, in order to find out more about them, you can just ask them direct questions, and then either meditate/dream or perhaps use another form of divination for answers, such as tarot or oracle cards, and especially as you already mentioned you do get answers this way. I am also into genealogy, and I have found out a lot of information on my ancestors this way--including finding their descendants, who have been able to share pictures and information on the loved one.

As a matter of fact, I have a 'long lost' cousin coming to my home today, to meet with me face to face for the first time. My great uncle was her grandfather, and her grandparents had divorced in the 1920s, and the grandmother moved far away with their baby--and my uncle never saw her again, until very briefly when his daughter became an adult. Even then, only a few times. At any rate, this cousin and I are both doing genealogy and she reached out to me for some family information. We've been 'talking' via internet every since and today, she and her hubby are coming to meet me face to face.

I've received quite a lot of interesting information on ancestors from both my side of the family and my husband's side as well through genealogy. Its been wonderful to get to know family and more about the ancestors in this way.

I once had to drive a very long drive alone, and I was quite nervous, especially as I am not use to city driving and had to drive through 2 cities to get to my destination. As I got into the car to start off, I asked my one ancestor (whom I knew in life), to ride with me, keep me safe and help me to reach my destination w/o any issues. The drive was a success for me, and I swear I could 'feel' her with me. A few months later, I had a psychic reading done for me, and lo and behold the psychic brought through this ancestor and told me that she rode with me in the car--sitting right up front with me in the passenger seat, while I drove to that destination. So, I even had confirmation that my prayers were answered and my ancestor was indeed watching over me and riding with me, helping to my destination.

khatsar

Thanks for your suggestions. Genealogy would be a little tough for me since the existence of my ancestors was probably not recorded in a conventional fashion but it is something I will consider pursuing at least in terms of getting an oral history of some sort. A lot of my family has been extremely impoverished and from the other side of the world...things like birth records and photos are going to be difficult to get but stories will be easier so I can start with those I hope.

I am going to work on my meditation practice so that I can understand and hopefully remember the dreams they give to me a little bit better. Maybe it would help to study lucid dreaming. Lately I am having a lot of trouble remembering my dreams when I wake up. :/

I don't want to ask direct questions about their lives through tarot cards because there's too much of a chance of me interpreting things wrong. I can receive advice through the cards just fine...perhaps you are right and I need to look into oracle cards. I am also thinking about scrying.

Starri Knytes

I've waited several days reading and re-reading your post, pondering my personal knowledge and experience.

I first looked at the method of connection. You have the basics of connecting with your ancestors/those on the other side of the veil correct. There are a few things you might do differently, but since you are connecting on your own by your own methods, I won't offer any suggestions at this time.

Secondly I looked at what it is you expect from the contact. Here in lies a large part of the problem. It takes a great deal of energy and effort for a spirit to make contact with the living. Most do not have the strength to offer more than a glimpse or a gentle touch.

Thirdly, spirits do not communicate the same way we do. Their past, their lives in human form is not important to them. If you ask they might show you a glimpse/or a snap shot of their lives by means of mental images or in dreams, but they will not likely be able to hold form for and extended Q and A. Their lips will likely never move except to offer a warm smile.

If you are able to travel to the astral realm you might be able to get more information. In my experience though, they are more concerned with surrounding you with love, and watching over you, and protecting you as you journey through life.

I would suggest that you trust your tarot, your scrying, and your dreams.
If you question what your tarot is telling you, hold your pendulum over the reading, and ask your ancestors if this is the message that they wanted you to receive.

Know that if you question them, they are far more likely to show you a glimpse of your future or of your past lives than they are images of their own. They have left that life behind.

What they will share is their character, their sense of humor, their personality, perhaps even a few likes and dislikes. They will show you what kind of human beings they were.

I hope you keep on working, strengthening your connection with the other side. Much comfort and wisdom is to be gained there.

Bright and Magical Blessings

**btw... There is a very good reason why you connect best during fasting and Eclipse. Perhaps planning to connect surrounding these events would serve you well. ;)

khatsar

Hi Starri Knytes, many thanks for your thoughts and valuable insights. I'm certainly open to any suggestions that have been useful for you. Since I already know that fasting and certain astrological events make connection easier, I make special efforts to connect during those times. My success at understanding their messages varies, so I am always looking for ways to enhance my practices. One thing I've clearly gotten from my guides is that they value my intent over ritual, so that helps me not pressure myself too much. I fast as part of my religion (which is also the faith of my ancestors) so that time of year is extra powerful and I get a lot of "stuff" that I can't process or understand, which is why "funneling" things through speech would be easier...but I need to think about what is feasible for them too.

In dreams, they send thoughts and impressions or sometimes flash a word or even a tarot or playing card for me to see. And, as you say, they are usually more interested in warning or advising me rather than telling me about themselves. But I can never be sure what they're talking about. :/ It can be unnerving, especially in the case of warnings. Sometimes I've seen the past through their eyes, but the details were very stylized...they were more interested in communicating feelings about past events than historical facts.

I don't think I've ever engaged in astral travel. I'm going to have to get up off my butt and learn some more about these things. :)

I recently purchased a tarot deck just to work with my guides on nights like tonight's blue moon. I'm still getting used to it, but I think this will be useful, especially once I learn how to meditate properly.

Please let me know if, upon further reflection, you would like to share any additional thoughts.

Glass Owl

Thanks for your suggestions. Genealogy would be a little tough for me since the existence of my ancestors was probably not recorded in a conventional fashion but it is something I will consider pursuing at least in terms of getting an oral history of some sort. A lot of my family has been extremely impoverished and from the other side of the world...things like birth records and photos are going to be difficult to get but stories will be easier so I can start with those I hope.

You may find DNA testing helpful. It would give you a break down of your ethnic mix and in terms of connecting with your ancestors of the past it would give you areas and cultures of the world to look at - maybe ones you haven't thought of before. Perhaps it could help you find distant relatives too, ones that may be able to provide you with some information.

Ancestry.com offers DNA tests for less than $100. I think that National Geographic is going to be offering a DNA ancestry kit again for the next Generation Genographic Project.

khatsar

You may find DNA testing helpful. It would give you a break down of your ethnic mix and in terms of connecting with your ancestors of the past it would give you areas and cultures of the world to look at - maybe ones you haven't thought of before. Perhaps it could help you find distant relatives too, ones that may be able to provide you with some information.

Ancestry.com offers DNA tests for less than $100. I think that National Geographic is going to be offering a DNA ancestry kit again for the next Generation Genographic Project.

Something to think about, for sure. Thank you for the suggestions, GlassOwl. [emoji4]