Copyright on each card?

M-Press

Hi there!
I have a "copyright dilemma".
I see that all the Usgames cards, have a short copyright on each and every card. Llwelyn and LoScarabeo are less fussy about it.
Legally , I know from my previous publishing experience, that you DO need to put in on... Even when doing books with stickers, each sticker (removable item) needed a short copyright on it...

The dilemma..
yes, it does look ugly, and there is hardly any space for it. Putting it at the back side, might need to be added twice otherwise you cn tell when a card is reversed? and putting it twice is a bit lame too...

I guess legal issues should win here...but...then...
i know that a copy notice won't stop anyone from misuse, BUT if that happens, and it goes further, there is protection?
Yes? No? hardly?

baba-prague

I think the issue of whether you need copyright on every card is not clear in fact. Many people are of the opinion that a copyright notice on the pack is enough - it is, after all, one piece of work.

I think that a copyright on each and every card is pretty ugly and personally I'd be reluctant to do it. It feels rather out of the spirit of tarot somehow (sorry, that probably sounds a bit vague, but you know what I mean?)
I'm also not sure that US Games does do this on every deck (I know they tend to do it on RWS clones, which they are particularly worried about protecting). Maybe we can all pull out our USG decks and take a look?

It'll be interesting to hear what others here think.

M-Press

i TOTALLY understand when you say "out of the spirit of tarot"...
the problem is, that when theft is concerned, it is anyway out of that spirit...and it's when WE have to show we have another side, meaning "protect ourselves"...

I have many kinds of USGames decks, and they ALL have the short copyline...

So is this a dilemma of spirit or of legal issues? who will win...????

baba-prague

Well, I just took a look at the Knapp-Hall and that only has a copyright notice on the Fool card - not the others.

Have you looked at what Llewellyn do? Maybe we should ask Riccardo his opinion on this?

M-Press

I have 2 Lwellyn decks (!), and they both have no copyline... (their Fool clean too...)
but they also don't have introduction cards.... (I usually don't throw such things out...). Well, one (Quest) has one mystery cars and one blank insread, but still no copyright...

Chronicle clean as well...

Yes, I would love to hear from Riccardo on this... we should turn him into a saint (like your fab link) as the patron of the "other" tarot creators...
;-)

Le_Corsair

My copy of Tarot: The Ancient Prophecy only has the circled letter C on the face of each card, rather than an entire line. That deck was from the early 70's, however, so standards, if any exist, may have changed.

Bob :THERM

Astra

My personal choice is to not worry about copyright on the individual cards, but copyright the deck only. Why? Because, strangely enough, I'm counting on the majority of people being pretty good when it comes to respecting copyright.

I know the minority is large, even so, but frankly I think that the main reason for putting a copyright notice on individual cards is to put people on warning that your lawyers are ready to take them to court. Not something I could afford under most circumstances, and having the copyright notice there really doesn't have that much effect on whether I can defend the cards, as long as I have an unbroken chain of creation.

What I did do, on each card, was to put my initials and the year in some moderately unobvious place, so each one is a "signed" piece of artwork. The Robin Wood deck also has a signature "RW" on each card (just checked to make sure), so at least I'm following one tradition.

M-Press

There is a point there Astra (about not really being able to hunt anyone down...)

But I think that "signing" each card, IS putting copyright on it... It says "WHO" made it in oppose to a piece of art floating somewhere...

i'll have to think of that option... Thanks for bringing it up. The RWS has it too... as well as the Pre-Raphaelite paintings. You actually have to look hard to find it there...

Ouuuuf- I'm soooo 10 of Wands....

Astra

M-Press said:
Ouuuuf- I'm soooo 10 of Wands....

What? You mean that for every problem you solve, you find there are another dozen you need to look at? ;-) Yeah. I'd offer you some sympathy, but I gotta keep most of it for myself. Commiseration, I can offer freely. I just keep thinking about actually being able to pick up a deck and read from it...

M-Press

Astra, you sure "read" right...

and consider yourself having a virtual hug from he right now, with LOTS of sympathy....
;)