Copyright on each card?

Astra

M-Press, one significant exemption to what you quoted is when you're working "for hire" under contract with a publisher and have enough clout to be able to get a clause which either reserves certain rights to the work or specifies reversion of rights after a period of years, or both.

Granted, this usually doesn't happen unless an artist is relatively famous in his/her own right, and it generally takes a good lawyer working with the artist, but it's an accepted thing in many areas, including paperback cover illustration.

bighairymonster

You don't need to register something or print it on the box to enjoy copyright. It comes into existence the moment you put your ideas into tangible form.

Some people do put such notices on their box for their own reasons, probably to emphasise the point or whatever.

(I know this 'coz I just wrote a 20,000 word dissertation on copyright. *shudders*)

baba-prague

I think people put a copyright notice on partly to make it clear - otherwise you could get the headache of someone copying then saying "oh, I didn't know". Okay, legally maybe it's silly, but it's so easy to put on a copyright notice that maybe better safe than sorry?

Recently I've used copyright notices less on the images - after all, soon the deck will be out - and it is nice to show work without copyright notices all over it. But I do try to put in something to remind people that it IS copyright.

blackroseivy

my own deck

Hi, I have a whole other problem when it comes to my deck; I have celebrity faces in it. I figure I should just "publish" the deck myself, i.e. sell it from my website - *my* deck is a work of art directly speaking, like a series of lithographs. I could number however many copies I do of it. The other thing is, however, my *own* copyright; I can see needing to copyright the images! However, mere *prints* are not the final stage; these are to become *holograms*! I wouldn't be able to do very much at one time unless I got a grant; but all 22 majors, at least, is my ambition. My question is: Where do I put the copyright? Right in the holographic image, or elsewhere?

Anyone have any insights? ;)

M-Press

Hi danubhe!
I'm not sure I understood *exactly* your process, but the copyright does not have to be ONSIDE teh hologram, but on the side, or on the back side too-as long as it is an insaparatable piece from the art (on the final product-whether a card, a book, a pillow).
About the celebrity faces, i don't know what to add.

Good luck!

HudsonGray

If you've got a frame border around the card, you can always stick it in there & it'd be easily readable, as M-Press says. Don't forget to include it in the LWB too.

Astra

danubhe, you'll actually have a different problem with copyright than most of us, because since you're using celebrity faces, you'll need to abide by whatever terms you agree to when you get permission to use them. Usually this is fairly strict, and includes having a line specifying the original copyright holder for each item. And each one's going to be different - oh,joy.

HudsonGray

If they're live celebrities, I think you go through their agent. If they're dead (like John Wayne, John Ritter, etc.) then you go through their estate. But each would have to give signed permission before you could reproduce them. You can contact the agent through the studios of the last movie each one made. It'd take time, so best to plan things out way beforehand.

Danubhe, have you found a local printer that can do holograms? If you have a hard time locating one, take a trip down to the local comic book store, find something with holograms on there & check to see who the publisher was, then look them up on the internet & send a request to find out who their printer was on the item you saw. You can get in at lower cost that way by using the publisher as a reference for a job, that'll get you a discounted quote.

I'm not sure what the learning curve is on researching the ways & means of doing hologram printing. You'll have to be at least a bit familiar with it to ask the right questions of the printer & get good, clear color images. I've seen some really sloppy jobs on cheap holograms.

blackroseivy

Thanks for the input, people!!

I find myself wondering what the results will be... I would like to have this piece be "artistic license" - *not* mass produced, only produced by the artist. That makes a difference in cyber-art. *If* a publisher were to be interested, that would be different! Guess I'd better wait 'til the damn deck (scoosie!!) is done...