Copyright on RWS-- what's the deal?

Richard Pickman

I'm starting to think about making some initial sketches for a possible tarot deck. Does anyone know what the deal is with copyright on the RWS deck? I'm not looking to do a total clone version, but what I'm thinking of at the moment would be very much based on the RWS.

Obviously, there are a lot of RWS clones, etc-- do you need to pay someone for the rights to use the images, or are they considered to be in the public domain at this point? (The RWS deck by U. S. Games that I have has a 1971 copyright date on it.)

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Richard Pickman

Ravenswing

just a thought

You are able to copyright (or register) an image, but NOT the IDEA behind the image.

For what that's worth

raven

Grigori

There's seems to be a lot of disagreement about this, and I don't know anythign about copyright law, but from previous threads my understanding is that the RWS decks that are in print are still undercopyright, as they were created in relatively recent history by USG and colored by their artist/s. However the original line drawings are considered by some to be in public domain, as more than 75 years has lapsed since their creation.

You can however use the general idea of the RWS as much as you like it seems. For example the Universal Tarot by Los Scarobeo. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-2/ Its essentially a RWS clone they can sell, but its an original work and so they don't need USG's permissions.

So if your planning on doing the sketches yourself, then I think your easily in the clear.

BoomVoom

us games like many companies put copyright on all theyr decks even those which come under public domain. i think it's to do with any alterations that were made to the deck in the more recent years to the deck are copy righted. such as different backs, packaging or even the little extra cards that have nothing to do with the deck.
here is a link to the wikipedia about the RW deck:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider-Waite-Smith_deck

you'll see it says that it was published in 1909.
it even mentions some about the copy right controversy.
the line images on the cards in my opinion can no longer be copyright, if indeed like the article says there was some revision of the colors after 1923, then yes, perhaps the images in THOSE colors will be copyright.
much like the Mary Hanson-Roberts deck. she used the images and recolored the deck to her own taste. though actually, she drew over the original designs of the cards, which in a way recreated the entire deck to her own taste. i don't think any part of here images can be used in any way.

STILL, if you were to get the original "black line" images of the RW, if you chose to even republish without any changes, it should be aloud.
there's plenty of variations or the RW that only change the color or add some sort of frame. they're all out there.

i'm still pretty skeptic as to weather the colors them selves are in public domain or not for that you have to finde images of the original deck printed before 1923.

Go ask Alice...
SHE's in public domain as well.
;)

BoomVoom

PS
i just noticed that you said you were thinking of making some sketches. if you're actually drawing, the imagery is free for you to use. i think it's considered a standard. they can't come at you for drawing 3 swards on a wall and a sarcophagus with a sward on it. if it comes from your own hand then there should really be no worry.

Richard Pickman

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like it would be pretty safe to proceed with what I am thinking about.

Since making the initial post on this thread, I have actually done preliminary drawings for four cards. I'm thinking about starting a blog so I can show what I'm doing.

I have no idea as to whether or not I will continue on and attempt to complete a deck, but just maybe........

If I post drawings and get a good response, that would likely be a motivator. :D

On the other hand, if the response is not so good, well....... :(

If I do create a blog to show my drawings, I'll definitely let you know!

BoomVoom

post some here!
that's what this forum is for. i for one would like to see what you make.
:D