Court cards as outcomes

Stargirl

I often pull court cards as outcomes. I don't know if they should be read literally or more metaphorically. For example, in the outcomes of relationship spreads (how the relationship is likely to end up) I've often gotten a queen. Does that mean the woman in the reading ends up alone, on her own? Or does that mean this relationship will give energy to her own Queen qualities?

Then occasionally I'll get a page as a career outcome. I usually interpret those as feelings the career will induce in the person. If it's the page of swords, for example, I interpret that as the career causing feelings of wild, sometimes chaotic enthusiasm (a young person going forth with one's sword wildly swinging away at anything that comes up).

What are your thoughts about court cards as outcomes?

Stargirl

No responses? Just wondering how you interpret things when the outcome is a King, Queen, Knight or Page. I use the Vision deck. I'm sure someone out there must have had a court card as an outcome! What did you think when you pulled it?

Looking forward to hearing any ideas!

kricket25

Stargirl said:
No responses? Just wondering how you interpret things when the outcome is a King, Queen, Knight or Page. I use the Vision deck. I'm sure someone out there must have had a court card as an outcome! What did you think when you pulled it?

Looking forward to hearing any ideas!

Personally, when I pull a Page, it ends up being a message of some sort.

Knights bring about changes in my life. Activity. I really don't like the Knight of Swords - he has never brought about a pleasant change yet! That is my "watch out" card - the crap is about to hit the fan!

When I get a Queen, it stands more for personality traits I need to take on than for actual people. I always pull the Queen of Cups when I need to temper my emotions.

Kings stand for either people or changes in my life. Bigger changes than the knights can bring, though. Whereas a Knight of Swords may bring me a flurry of unwanted chaos in my life, a King of Swords is usually a person directing a lot of crap at me in my life.

I think the court cards are the most difficult to read, and it takes a lot of time to build a personal relationship with them. Only after many tarot readings did I figure out what they mean to me.

Aurelious

Court cards are indeed difficult to interpret, but as a general rule: The first impression you receive is usually what you should go with (trust your intuition.)

Also make sure to take a look at other cards in the spread. If it looks like a relatioinship is blooming (Ace of Cups, 2/3/10 of Cups, Lovers) then I would take the court as the person who will enter into the querents life.

If I see cards of struggle or uneasiness (3 of Swords, 5 of Wands, Tower) then I interpret it as this is the person you need to be to overcome these trials.

If the question relates to how someones sees you, then I would see this as the person someone conceives you to be.

There are no cut and dry rules in Tarot, which makes it such a wonderful (and difficult) skill to learn. But keep at it and trust your inner voice. You may be inexperienced, but your subconscious is wise far beyond your years ^^

Seafra

There's no black and white answer to this. I'm going to suggest that you take a look through this link and then wend your way through other threads pertaining to the same question as you pose here within this part of the forum. Wading through all the information is a challenge but the returns are huge.

Get snacks, drinks, pencil, paper, enjoy. :D

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=77113

tigerlily

When I did a daily three card throw I discovered that whenever the Knight of Swords turned up, I would get bad news, mostly via phone. The King of Coins was always someone's boss, and so on. I think daily draws are an excellent way to decipher court cards, so that you get a feeling what they stand for in other readings, too.

Cactus

kricket25 said:
When I get a Queen, it stands more for personality traits I need to take on than for actual people. I always pull the Queen of Cups when I need to temper my emotions..

I agree with that. I think that you need to remember that ANY court card can also stand for a certain personality trait.

If you get a court card in an outcome position of a relationship spread and you can't grasp exactly what the meaning is, you can always say that you're getting a feeling of (let's say, the Knight of Swords) having a lot to say, that there is a need for a lot to be said rather quickly. Or that someone in the relationship might need to express many things or might be an excessive talker but that the feeling you get is one of direct, fast communication in the relationship (depending on the deck and what the Knight of Swords looks like, of course.)

By being general when you're not getting the EXACT meaning of the court card, you are, in effect, just saying what you see and that is being a truthful tarot card reader! You pinpoint what kind of personality that court card has for you and say to the client that you have a feeling of this (insert personality trait) tendency to go on in the relationship.

I hope that makes sense.

nisaba

To me, Pages (because of their youth) indicate a need to learn about an element (work or drive for Wands, material stuff for pents, emotions for Cups, and intellect for Swords). Knights indicate thinking you already know but still being a bit ammature in that area. Queens indicate a quiet behind-the-scenes mastery. Kings indicate the highest possible development in that area (yes, positive and negative can both be well-developed).

Aladdin

The Pages as a message i have to agree has almost always been true for me.
Quite often a court card other than the Page appearing at the beginning or end of a spread can mean you are expecting someone else to make a decision - or make the first move.

tigerlily

Come to think of it, I actually always interpret Courts as people in a reading, not as events (yes, I know that it contradicts the Knights as bad news interp I gave earlier, but this is a new thing that turned up in my recent daily draws project).

A court cards as outcome speaks to me about how you (your personality, your attitude, etc) are changed by the events that are depicted by the other cards. It's especially interesting when other Courts have turned up in the spread as well, if you can see a progression (or regression) through the ranks or a different approach by a change of suits.