Dame Fortune's Wheel - Knave of Coins

sapienza

In this deck the Knave of Coins is also given the title "Lancelot".

This card has the vibrant green background shared by all the cards of the Coins suit. We see the figure of Lancelot, dressed in red and green. He wears a green hat with gold clubs on it and a red feather. He is holding a stave of some sort (?) and a coin. He looks back over his shoulder at the coin as he walks forward. A small white dog with a bell around its neck jumps beside him.

This figure reminds me of the fool in many ways, most obviously because of the dog. It also has a similar 'feel' to the fool card. A sense of adventure, newness and the fact that Lancelot is walking forward but looking backwards, ie. not watching where he is going.

Etteilla's meanings for this card include study, instruction, apprenticeship and a student. Etteilla's school also associated the Coins suit with fire, although that isn't made obvious in this deck. I feel like fire is quite a good fit for the suit of Coins though and I imagine this young Knave to be in some ways like the fool, keen and excited to learn, heading off into unknown territory, either physically or mentally, focusing on the practical details, but always while moving forward towards new ideas or experiences.

The connection to Lancelot is a little more puzzling to me and I'm still working on how it fits with Etteilla's meanings. I suppose if Lancelot was raised by an enchantress (?Lady of the Lake) then during this time he was a student, recieving instruction. He was also a knight, so adventurous and daring (which might fit better with the knight than the knave....but anyway). When it comes to his relationship with Guinevere, he was perhaps focusing on the here and now (ie. Guinevere and his passion for her) and not so much on the consequences...(ie. what lay ahead)

Just my thoughts. I find the court cards the most challenging in this deck but I do really like this card. It conveys to me a sense of excitement and adventure....not unlike the fool.

Bernice

I think the suit of Coins was originally (well, in very early days...) associated with travelling merchants, &/or trading abroad. So yes, adventurous, but also gainful in material ways.

Some early decks also had 'agreed upon' names for the Court cards. Like you, I have no idea why the name Lancelot was given to the Knave, especially as the Knight, fully-fledged, doesn't have a name.

I think I have a book that mentions the courts & names. I'll see if I can find it, hopefully it gives more infomation about the practice.

Bee :)

Bernice

Just a quickie. I've looked at Paul Husons' description, but am none the wiser :( Unless he's meant to portray 'love & romance' - albeit with unwelcome consequences.

"The French-suit identification for this card is Lancelot du Lac, the handsomest knight in King Arthur’s court. Son of King Bran of Brittany, but raised from infancy by one of the various enchantresses known as the Lady of the Lake, Lancelot was an extremely popular character in medieval romance.

His guilty love for Arthur’s wife Guinevere was one of the main causes of the downfall of Arthur’s kingdom. Cartomancers today may consider the Knave to represent a sensible younger person, male or female, when upright, a careless and crass one when reversed."

B.

sapienza

It certainly is a strange match-up. The other interesting thing is that Lancelot is linked to this card because in the Dame Fortune deck Huson links Clubs to Coins and Diamonds to Batons, where other books are the other way around. Because Lancelot is associated with the Jack (Knave) of Clubs which, depending which view you take, could also be the Knave of Batons. I think the knights are not named because they obviously were not in the French playing card decks.

Bernice

......Huson links Clubs to Coins and Diamonds to Batons, where other books are the other way around.
Ah yes. Something to do with the 'gypies' understanding of the 'egyptian' glyph for Land, a Diamond/square shape. (I think... discussion & better info is in the History Forum).

Of course the Knight is not named (duh!), I forgot. The meanings are from the earlier catromancy (52 deck) as you say.

Bee :)

sapienza

Bernice said:
Ah yes. Something to do with the 'gypies' understanding of the 'egyptian' glyph for Land, a Diamond/square shape. (I think... discussion & better info is in the History Forum).

I must try and find that. The whole switch around of clubs and diamonds has had me quite confused and I wondered where it came from.