deck replacment time

cybercat

Ok for all those that have done this. How long is it till you have had to replace your deck from wear and tear usage? Lets us know how much it is used daily, weekly or monthily. Do you use it for professional readings or is it just personal. How do you shuffel your deck?

I have one deck that I have had for 16 years that shows wear but I do not use it all that much. Last time I pulled the cards I had to clean them and I noticed that there pictures are wearing a bit. This deck has only been used off and on ovr the years with some back to back use for a couple of month at time each year. I use the riffel shuffel on this deck.

cybercat

Little Baron

This week, I bought a display deck from a shop. And it is quite worn. The black backs of 'The Adrian' are white at the edges and a bit tatty; they look a little dirty, also. And I had this deck before and it was pristine before trading it, so I know what it should look like. It's energy seems different as well. I have no idea how long it has been sitting in the shop in Oxford Street; but there is a charm to that as well. If I see it again, new, and I have some extra cash, I might just get a double. Decks like this worry me. It doesn't seem that popular so might (if it hasn't already) go out of print. Or .. they might give it a service like they did with the Witches Tarot, borders and all.

LB

SunChariot

I've only been readings almost exactly 2 years (started May 15/04) and have 24 decks that all get used so it is not yet an issue. I just noticed yesterday that my very first one, the Haindl, is starting to have a different feel to it. But no damage yet to any of them.

I adore my collection as it is. I want to keep using them all forever. My worst fear is that one day, in 20 years or something, one or more will become damaged enough to need replacing. And when I go to buy a new one it will be OOP. Well I suppose I could think of worse fears than that,LOL, but the thought of it really bothers me. I love all of mine so much.

Babs

Grizabella

I get duplicates when I can of my decks that I couldn't live without. I have a very worn Buckland that I used constantly for awhile, so I got another one to have as a backup, but unfortunately, I didn't think to do it till it was out of print and the price went sky high. I traded my nice, thinner stock Ancestral Path a few months ago, but when I went to replace it, found it was out of print, too, and the one I finally found on eBay is stronger, thicker stock and very hard for me to shuffle, so I wish I had the first one.

Other than that the decks may go out of print, though, and I can't replace them, I love when they get worn. I don't think it detracts from them at all. Reading professionally, I'd rather get a reading from a well-worn, well-used, well-loved deck myself, so I hope my clients appreciate that, too. I've never had anyone complain. I think the fact that a deck is like that just says the person is very experienced and not someone just starting out.

I don't collect decks just to collect them. I've refined it to where I only acquire decks that I know I'm going to use and read with, so they get used a lot. I've got a little over 20 decks now, including a few I've duplicated in case the originals wear out, so the duplicates are still new or new-ish and don't get used as much. I read a lot daily and I shuffle even more daily because that's kind of a compulsive ritual type of thing to me.

Rabbit

I can't get rid of a deck... I will buy a duplicate, but I will never throw one away. I threw a deck away about 28 ago and I wish I hadn't.
I do collect decks just for the sake of collecting.

MareSaturni

My oldest decks are my Enchanted Tarot (that has gone OOP here in Brazi) and my Mythic Tarot. The first one i ended up giving to my mother, because she loved it so much she kept stealing it from the drawers in which i keep my collection :p
But it's getting old, you know. In the Brazilian Version, the finish is +/- (i don't know why they use this finish here...it's sticky and feel like plastic! ugh!) so the cards are starting to look very worn. Since i could not find the Enchanted here and didn't want to buy it from Amazon ($$$hipping), i bought the Farber-Zerner. I don't regret having both!

My Mythic Tarot is the one i use to read for others, because i'm confident enough to take it anywhere and i'm used to it. I love it! It's definitely not OOP here, but when it starts getting worn, i may end up getting a replacement....

I don't collect deck just for the sake of collecting...i choose mine carefully, specially because i'm a $$$-less student so i must think VERY WELL when i'm going to buy something expensive (and decks ARE expensive). :D

~Yuko

bleuivy

I love worn decks! The more worn the better. My feeling is, as long as the cards are still readable, and they don't stick together or something making readings difficult, why replace them? You have so much history with your deck that it would be a shame to replace them.

I think the only other time I would replace a deck is if some cards got lost or damaged. But I'm not to worried about that - I don't think any of my favorite decks are in danger of going out of print any time soon. :)

.traveller.

I've noticed that riffling the cards wears out the cardstock faster. To save on wear and tear, I stopped riffling and I change between decks. I don't really like "new" decks, I prefer them to have a little character. When I was reading regularly, I wore out a tarot deck (RW) in 2 years.

Simone

As I have many decks and read with many decks, I've never had the problem of "wearing one out".

But then, my very first deck, an oracle, looks quite worn - and i cherish it because of that! It shows that it has been serving me long and well - I'd never replace it!

This being said, I'll move this thread to the Talking Tarot Forum as that place is better for this kind of topic - and leave a redirect from the Using Tarot Cards Forum :)

Thanks for your understanding!
Love
Simone

Kimberly

I have no duplicate decks as of yet... then again my decks don't have that much wear on them! Maybe it's because I've only been practicing for about 5 years, opposed to some of you who have been practicing since before I was born! *laughs*