Developing tarot reading abilities

Julia

Hello,

I am new here on this board!

I recently decided that I want to develop my tarot reading abilities.

Although I am familiar with the arcana and that I read tarot in a very intuitive manner in the past I feel now a need to develop that reading ability further. I guess I am a beginner.

The American Tarot Association correspondence course seems well structured and interesting.

But I wanted to ask you guys your opinions about this course. Have any of you taken that course?

Another question is bugging me: do you think it is important that the arcanas you are using reflect accurately initiate symbols or no?

For example, although even well-known decks like the Rider-Waite have "mistakes" in the representation of its iniate symbols it is still more accurate than say the mythic tarot.

However, I would like to add that the mythic tarot is the one that I used in the past and it worked well.

Do you think there is an efficiency difference between the said "symbol-accurate" and the "less symbol-accurate"?

Thanks,

Julia

jmd

Quote:Julia (22 Nov, 2001 11:31):
I read tarot in a very intuitive manner in the past I feel now a need to develop that reading ability further.

The American Tarot Association correspondence course seems well structured and interesting

...Arcanas ... you are using reflect accurately initiate symbols or no?

the Rider-Waite have "mistakes" ... more accurate than say the mythic tarot.

There are two ways which people often begin to read: intuitively, or following a manual!

I would encourage both! with some qualificafions, for they both go hand in hand. All a manual is is someone's understanding communicated via the printed word. A course does the same, but is (hopefully!) more interactive and hence far more responsive to the needs and direction of its audience.

I do not know what the course is like, hopefully someone who has done it (or is involved in teaching it) will respond. I would be pretty surprised if it wasn't pretty worthwhile, as the enthusiasm and professionalism of its people wanting to offer such a course should make for quite a learning experience.

I realise that some claims have been made for 'mistakes' by, for example, Case (of BOTA fame). I do not agree... they are Waite's and Colsmith's interpretations and modifications to what they viewed as a correction of the deck, in a similar vain to the claims made by Case for the 'rectification' of his deck (I should say here that I personally prefer Case's BOTA to Waite's...)

The other question one needs to ask, is who is going to determine whether a deck has or has not 'initiate' symbols thereon?

I still think that nothing beats the woodcuts (Marseilles and Classic) decks in terms of this... but others will (and have in books and communications) disagreed!

I would encourage you to do the course... and let us know how it goes!!!

tarotbear

Joined the ATA once upon a time...did not like the course. Prefer not to discuss it.

Lee

Hi, Julia --

I agree with jmd. Your question seems to presuppose that there is an objective, true set of symbols and meanings which decks can be measured against, i.e. "more true" or "less true." It's easy to start thinking this way when one reads Golden-Dawn-inspired books, but the truth of the matter is that there is no set of symbols or meanings which is more true than any other; it really boils down to what you find evocative and useful for yourself. So, for example, if you find that reading with the Mythic Tarot is more revealing than the Waite deck, then the Mythic Tarot is more true for you. Of course, it can be fun to study different systems, and it certainly deepens one's knowledge and feeling for tarot to do so, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that one system is more "true" than another just because someone wrote a book saying so.

In other words, the best guide for you to follow is yourself! ;)

Talisman

'Lo all,

I agree with Lee.

If something empowers you, if it works, keep it. If it doesn't empower you, if it doesn't work, it's just superstition. And, in the end, only you can decide.

So, you read all the books, explore all the systems, listen to all the people, work with your cards, always learning new things, and, I think, discover the truth in the old adage: "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

And it is fun. A Tarot journey is not about arriving, it's about the journey. Have fun.

Talisman
"How much a dunce, that has been sent to roam,/ Excels a dunce that has been kept at home." -- Cowper

slinky_jo

hello - i am new to this board, although i have been surfing away in aeclectic for almost a year!

i find the best way to tune into your cards, is to let the querant him/her-self really tune into the cards. Let them fondle them, and inbue the cards with their own emotions. i always get the querant to ask the cards a questions, or make a wish on the cards. I then find that reading for them becomes quite fluid.

tarot cards are definitely a psychic tool for me to tune in to other people. i hardly read them for myself. if you are into that, there are a lot of great books out there to help open your psychic channels.

cheers

Jewel

What I have found to work best for me was first taking the deck I like, get a journal and get to know my deck. Follwing that, my own intuitive sense, was looking up the meanings (after I was done with all cards) and see the similarities and differences in my interpretation to that of others. It is a quite amazing experience and really builds confindence in your intuition and trust in your abilities. I have then followed this with the use of the workbooks by Mary Greer "Tarot for Yourself" and "Tarot Constellations", and reading the book 78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollock.

But what I think has been the most significant is the time I spend with my cards. Sometimes I just site there looking at different decks, putting pictures side by side and looking for similarities and differences, etc. As noted by someone else earlier in this thread ... it is the journey that is so wonderful. Do what feels right for you as each of us is different, but none of us are wrong.