Día de los Muertos

Nevada

or Day of the Dead---Do you celebrate it? And if so, how?

I'm amazed that I grew up near the Mexican border and never knew of this celebration in honor of the dead, until I was an adult. In fact, I first read of it in a novel. But as soon as I first encountered the idea I was intrigued.

Last night all the TV channels I receive (I have satellite and don't subscribe to many) seemed to offer only horror films for Halloween, and I found that disappointing, that they didn't seem to want to cater to those of use who like a lighter fare for Halloween or Samhain--or whatever form of this seasonal celebration we prefer.

Anyway, I'd like this thread to be a place for us to celebrate this unique holiday, in honor of those who've passed on. There are no rules except those Aeclectic rules we all hold dear, to keep this a happy, organized place on the net.

Talk about your loved ones who've passed on, your special observance of this time of year, or even your questions for others about what this holiday means.

I placed the thread here in Spirituality rather than in chat because to me there's nothing more spiritual than honoring those who've crossed over. Moderators, feel free to move it if you see fit.

Here are some links with information about Day of the Dead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead
http://www.dayofthedead.com/index.html
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rjsalvad/scmfaq/muertos.html

Nevada

Cerulean

I've looked in some ways about other cultures honoring

memories.

I believe that the modern Japanese festival calendar is July or August O-Bon, depends on the district and church/temple. We took part via a community center and Buddhist church when we were kids--dancing with taiko drums, picnic foods, silly games for the kids, cultural center exhibits.

If near a stream, I think that the leaf-boats with candles light the way back for those spirits who need to return to their spaces. But there may be those more well-versed--as I'm learning by looking back.

I'm learning a little about an older cultural way of doing this--but only beginning to learn.

In the U.S. there is Veteran's and Memorial's Day--a small way of honoring ancesters or the past deeds or loved ones.

Hope this adds a bit of silk to the shining wish you have for this thread.

Cerulean

BlueLeaf

I spent last night cleaning my kitchen. My grandmother was the fussy sort and I knew she'd be hopping mad if she stopped by and my kitchen was in such a state. I had a whole ritual planned, and I decided she would be more honored by a clean kitchen :)

I'm really struck by your observation that Hallowe'en TV was all about horror stories. I love horror movies, but it seems like October is when the studios trot out the really awfull "scary" movies they've produced. I think Samhain would be the perfect time to show documentaries on how to research genealogy or watch History Channel shows on how our ancestors lived. I think I might do this next year instead.

Jambalaya by Luisa Teish has a lovely section on creating altars to your ancestors, and stories about them. As a pagan living in the city, I can feel disconnected from nature, and need to remember that connection. But as a pagan living hundreds of miles from most of my relatives, I can feel disconnected from my ancestry as well.

Nevada

I did see a good documentary on PBS last night about U.S. cemeteries. I've always liked to visit them--my mom would take us to one on Memorial Day when we were kids. It gave me a feeling of peace as well as connection to the past--even if we visited one where we had no relatives buried. The statuary, landscaping, and markers, and the peace of a graveyard or cemetery is to me a spiritual experience.

Nevada

memries

I agree with you Nevada about the sense of quiet and solitude in cemeteries

As we go along in our years we lose a lot of people we have known and many we have dearly loved. This brings a new perspective into our lives and we see the passing on of persons in a new way. Maybe we become desensitized a bit or maybe we just become more matter of fact about death to this life.

Our friends and families come to us in dreams. Sometimes you know you are dreaming and sometimes it is just like old times when everyone was there. Then there is the knowing that someone you loved and who has passed is near you in this waking life. Possibly you are even able to communicate with them.
I believe that when we die to this life we are born "through the veil" just as we were born here. It is a cycle of which we are part.
Yes, it is sad to lose a loved one but the sadness is for yourself, not for them.

shaveling

I live far away from my family's burial places. But on the Day of the Dead, I always visit a nearby graveyard where I have friends and spiritual family buried. I burn a bit of incense and sprinkle the graves with holy water, sing some songs and say some prayers. I keep the whole month of November as a time to remember those who have gone ahead of us, and will be visiting the graves on other occasions during the month.

November can be a strange month here in Michigan. We're starting out with a few scattered wildflowers hanging on. By the end of the month, I'll probably be circumambulating the cemetery in the snow. It makes a good memento mori.