Digital Art on Deck Design

Aun

For those who enjoy freehand designing, and would like to add a digital touch to your art, there is an outstanding program called COREL PAINTER 8, (former Fractal Design Painter).
I recommend it to experienced Photoshop users, since the program structure is pretty much the same. However, IMHO, it beats photoshop when it comes to textures, brushes, and a bunch of other features. If you are interested, there is a 30 days full trial version at http://www.corel.com

It definitely deserves a shot :)

Peace,
Aun

Astra

Yes, this is one of the more wonderful packages - I got mine several years ago before Corel bought the company. The only problem I've had with it, other than having too slow a machine back then, is the infinite diversity - I made the mistake of trying to learn the whole package first, and it goes on, it seems, forever! It got on my list of things I had to get back to one of these days. Unfortunately, it still is. I keep telling myself that I need to learn the old program before I get an upgrade - maybe I should just get the upgrade and let the guilt over spending the extra money be the driving force?

Aun

Astra,

In my opinion, the most important thing to learn is the overall structure of the program - all the other commands are tied to it in some way.

Indeed, Painter is one of the most difficult graphic programs to master, even harder than Photoshop.

I consider myself a very advanced Photoshop user, making the core of my (web) work on it. Sometimes I use Painter, but only as a complementary program to my Photoshop works.

Now when it comes to upgrade to a new version or stick with an older version, I think it really doesnt matter. Regardless of the improvements that come up from version to version, THE STRUCTURE of the program is always there, and thats what you need to learn before anything.

In Photoshop for example, if you dont understand structural concepts like Layers, colour channels, paths and selections, you will be limited to use a command here and there, but you'll miss the big picture...

Hope this helps... remember there are many useful tutorials on Painter and Photoshop on the net... just go to google and make a search...

Peace,
Aun

rota

Which you choose seems to have to do with your approach to imagery: the colder, more pragmatic and Saturnian people gravitate to Photoshop, the Aquarian and Jovian types seem to groove on Painter.

I've been a monster fan of Photoshop and Illustrator over the last 5 years or so. Practically all the freelance material I do anymore is channelled through a computer at some point in its life, and the two main tools are the Adobe workhorses above.
I've dabbled around in the shallow end of Painter, but for me it's always been a supplement to the other two. Other friends of mine put Painter first.