Do you cleanse your decks?

violetdaisy

So you go major arcana, then what comes next? pents, cups, swords, or wands?

If I have the LWB I use the order in it. If not I tend to go Pentacles, Wands, Cups, Swords...no reason really, have for about 20 years. I may have had a reason initially? I just use that as my default if no LWB or other book is with it.

Manfeex

I like to re sort them everyone now and then put them in order and turn them the right way up if they are upside down..
But I do have white sage incense sticks
does it matter what type of sage it is?

mrpants

I don't cleanse my decks, but I do cleanse myself!

I find that it's helpful with any deck new to me that I spend some time getting to know the images, and any accompanying literature. This often involves simple rituals like lighting incense or a candle, putting on a favorite record, washing hands, shuffling, reordering, or even looking up threads about the deck right here. I do these sorts of things whether or not the deck is used, for me there is little difference.

violetdaisy

I like to re sort them everyone now and then put them in order and turn them the right way up if they are upside down..

I'm a firm believer that it's the intention you put *with* your cleansing tools if you use them that really matters. I *clean* house with either sandalwood incense, cedar shavings, sage smuge stick, sweet grass, or rosemary essential oil that I diffuse.
My husband doesn't care for the sage but likes the sandalwood and cedar, daughter likes the sage or rosemary. It really depends on what I have on hand or immediate access to.
I like the sage because it's what my mother has always used and it makes me feel like she's adding her intention with mine when I use it.
So, no. I don't think it matters what kind of sage you use with your deck(s) :)

Gwynydd

Yes, I like to cleanse my decks. I really enjoy taking that time

jhernandez

I do cleanse my decks. Nothing elaborate but I pass each card over dragon's blood incense or sage stick. When I have used them for copious reading or have had many people handle the deck I do find that after sometime the readings become vague. So I just do that to cleanse them and once they are cleaned I use amethyst crystal to charge the deck. This is just what i do. Whatever feels right for you go for it. Try different things and find what works for you. I hope this helps. :)

Philistine

I always viewed shuffling as an act of cleansing. Any time I switch between topics or querents, I make sure to give the deck a good long round of shuffling first. Rarely, I will reorder the cards out of sheer boredom, but not really with the intent of cleansing.

Tanga

I am curious what the different opinions and methods to cleanse decks on this forum. I'm about to get a used deck in the mail, so I've been thinking about this.

Thank you in advance to all who reply. :)

Most of the time my decks are brand new and I never feel the need to do any kind of ritual to "clear/boost/dedicate the energy" in anyway - except to begin using them.
I once had a 2nd hand deck that smelled of Patchouli oil.
I don't like Patchouli much - so I think I used to air it alot by just leaving it sitting about spread out.
Even tried wiping it down quickly with a damp cloth.
Next time I think I might do the "in the bag with lavender" thing...maybe even charcoal that's in the bag wrapped in kitchen paper might suck up the scent...

Very Occasionally I decide my brain needs a huge pow-wow ritual to cleanse, boost and programme/dedicate a deck in my minds eye. :royal: :joke:
Well then - the sky's the limit to what I might concoct in form of ritual (I love ritual, I believe in belief, and I'm an eclectic Wiccan. Once initiated, now solitary).

Here's a ritual just made up now - watch out! :joke: :
On my main Altar I have a 6 inch brass pentacle.

1) Night before Full Moon:
I would place the deck in the middle of the pentacle, with 4 large clear quartz points at the 4 cardinal points of the pentacle's edge.
Crystal points facing outwards to "clear" (pointing away from the cards).

I might ring my favourite bell, or waft some incense over them (Clapping is good too. I'm an incense snob, so I'd only be using one particular brand of Nagchampa, or some of my left-over stock of Japanese incense which is ridiculously yummy).
And say a chant (prepared earlier) over them leaning towards the theme of them being "clear".

Leave them to stew in moonlight.

2) Night of the Full Moon:
Turn the clear quartz crystal points inwards (pointing at the cards) to "boost".
This time I may lay around the cards, objects and herbs that seem appropriate to "boost" the cards. Perhaps Mugwort for psychic travelling, and Astrophyllite because it always makes me think of "the Universe out there" and "contact with the Unknown Mysteries".
(Aliens probably :joke:).

I might ring my favourite tibetan bowl over them (purported to clear as well as draw in new energy simulteneously) and again say a chant over them affirming that they are being "energized".

Leave them to stew in the moonlight.

3) Night after the Full Moon:
Remove crystal points.
Now I might set around the deck, the crystal that resides with it inside the Tarot bag that it's stored in (if it has one), and an object that represents it's dedication. Perhaps this might be a piece of coloured string I've chosen to ritually "bind in" the setting or intention for the cards.

I might wave a Wand or Athame (ritual knife) over them whilst saying a chant which has an appropriate dedication in it, and actually tie the coloured string around them.

Leave them to stew in the moonlight.

Next day - I'd give thanks (to the 4 elements, Deity or any other beings I may have called upon), dismantle the setting, and burn the ritual coloured string.

Cards are now SUPER clean, charged and ready to go - right??? :joke: :party: :love:

Now - as has been said - between clients, if I've decided my cards (my brain really) needs a clean...
there's not much time. I will shuffle really well (envisioning a clean up), then tap the deck on the table and say (to "them upstairs" or the cards in general) "Clean Up Please!".
And then - assume and trust that it's done and continue.

Also - take a look at this thread in 'Threads on Magick and Rituals':
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=264390

AJ

does you deck exhibit any of these symptoms?
---------------
Sage is used for digestive problems, including loss of appetite, gas (flatulence), stomach pain (gastritis), diarrhea, bloating, and heartburn. It is also used for reducing overproduction of perspiration and saliva; and for depression, memory loss, and Alzheimer's disease.
WebMD

Welcome to AT if I haven't said it all ready :) We do love new members!

Tanga

does you deck exhibit any of these symptoms?
---------------
Sage is used for digestive problems, including loss of appetite, gas (flatulence), stomach pain (gastritis), diarrhea, bloating, and heartburn. It is also used for reducing overproduction of perspiration and saliva; and for depression, memory loss, and Alzheimer's disease.
WebMD

Welcome to AT if I haven't said it all ready :) We do love new members!

:joke: Such a yummy herb.
Believe it's also used to treat menopause symptoms, and sore throats.
Sage - smells like drugs, so I don't use it much.
Actually - I use the essential oil more, which has a different scent to burning dry twig&leaf.

...But I do have white sage incense sticks

The best sage I would imagine - would be one you had grown, dried and prepared yourself for the purpose - so that it's specifically imbued with your cleansing intentions.
Chop chop - get to work :joke: ;)