Do you tell the querrent?

kislany

I was reading the 'worse/most dangerous spreads' thread where the reader felt really sorry for the querrent as death and other sad things were seen - which indeed happened afterwards, and this brought me to a question. If you see something bad in the cards for the querrent's family or immediate environment (ex. upcomming death, etc), do you tell them what you see or change it a bit and sweeten it up?
I haven't come across yet something so strong in a reading (being a new reader), so I'd like to know what is best to do if such a situation comes up...(which I'm sure eventually it will...)

tieduptinkerbell

nods

kislany said:
I was reading the 'worse/most dangerous spreads' thread where the reader felt really sorry for the querrent as death and other sad things were seen - which indeed happened afterwards, and this brought me to a question. If you see something bad in the cards for the querrent's family or immediate environment (ex. upcomming death, etc), do you tell them what you see or change it a bit and sweeten it up?
I haven't come across yet something so strong in a reading (being a new reader), so I'd like to know what is best to do if such a situation comes up...(which I'm sure eventually it will...)
the thing is...no reading is ever set in stone....life comes and goes...ups downs...fluctuates...moves...everchanging as we make differnet decisions etc. I personally believe the Higher Arcana is something we already have or is deeply spiritual...so the death card does not always mean death...in fact hardly ever in my personal experience. You could read for a person everyday (most do for themselves or at least every week or what ever) and watch the cards change slightly every day...its interesting and you will notice it with yourself as you read more...for the longest time I was pulling certain cards for myself...then...it was only two of the same ones...and new ones were showing up regularly...it keeps evolving.
So down to the answer. You have an obligation to tell the truth...this is my oppinion...and to tell what you see. There is a reason people come to us...sometimes they don't even know...but Spirit does and the cards show it. They are not biased trying to get someone...they are showing what very well could be and might be if nothing is changed... What if the reading involves a death and you could prevent it by having the person get checked out or not go to a certain place at a certain time. Now this is rare...but that is worst case senario ya know...

Anyway...read more...for yourself...for others here...really get to know the Tarot and see how they seem alive...for me they are...little entities...NOT the paper and ink..the Spirit seems alive in them and they are here to help us understand the things we as humans have such a hard time with on our own.

Also in some ways we become counselors...advisors...or an ear to listen...shoulder to cry on. It is part of the burden of our gift to really care about the querent...again in my oppinion...be kind and watch how you word things...but don't sugar coat...Also...try to seek another oppinion when you can...

Hope this helped...not sure if I even answered the question...lol...its early.

love Bell

and welcome to the World of Tarot...its a wild wild ride!...and worth it all!

memries

A few years ago I read my sister's teacup and saw her on a long bridge all alone, which I told her. When she got home she received news that her husband had died in Montreal. I did not know what I was seeing ! It was just awful. It seems to me the querant interprets the cards for themself so how would you know what slant they would put on the cards you read ? Your question bothers me too and is a good one.

Grizabella

In some writer's retreats I took part in quite a few years ago, we were told to first give the good news in a critique for another writer, then go to the downside of it. Then bring the critique around again to an overall view with the positive as the main focus. I usually form my readings in the same way, mentioning that life is a series of ups and downs, bad with good, and that although there are some serious challenges showing for them, there's also positive and that there are also strategies for coping with those challenges that will bring them through them. If necessary, I'll do a separate spread with questions geared toward what they can do to face the challenges in the most positive way for the best outcome possible. I never predict anyone's death. Even a doctor can't say with certainty if or when a patient will die, so I hardly think I, as a tarot reader, can or should go there. As you've probably seen a lot of people say here, the Death card almost never means physical death, anyway.

Annabelle

kislany said:
If you see something bad in the cards for the querrent's family or immediate environment (ex. upcomming death, etc), do you tell them what you see or change it a bit and sweeten it up?
Well . . . I don't see absolutes in the cards. Instead, I see possibilities and sometimes even probabilities, but never an indication that someone definitely "will" die soon or become ill or whatever.

I personally feel an obligation to tell the querent what I see and feel when I'm reading their cards, even if it is potentially "bad" news. While I wouldn't say that I "sweeten" things for my querents, I am careful how I phrase things. For example, let's say that in an outcome position I see that someone may be in for a very difficult ordeal (be it about their health, or finances, or whatever). Well, I'm not going to gasp and say "oh gosh, the outlook is terrible!" because that would be outright irresponsible of me. Instead, I'll say something along the lines of "it looks like, if you continue on your present path, you may be in for some difficult times" . . . etc. etc. But then I'll try to bring the reading back to a positive note by revisiting any advice that the cards suggested, etc.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. Others may feel differently :).

Emeraldgirl

Annabelle4 said:
Well . . . I don't see absolutes in the cards. Instead, I see possibilities and sometimes even probabilities, but never an indication that someone definitely "will" die soon or become ill or whatever.

I totally agree with this. If i see something that is indicitive of a car accident for example I will say be very careful on the road. Or for health problems "make sure you aren't working too hard and that you have time to eat right and exercise and if you feel something's wrong make sure you see a doctor". Nothing that can freak a person out but enough that they will take a bit of extra care in the areas. It is a huge responsibility and I am not a doctor so i can't tell people they will die. I can only tell them to see a doctor who will be ble to test them. I magine if you were wrong and they lived but they had gone through the agony of thinking you were right and they would be dead within a week?

hdelaney

I am a new reader and have not yet really encountered a difficult spread. I have, however, when facing a difficult card tried to enterpret it in more than one way...I agree that the querrent will put their own spin on whatever you tell them anyway. I think the cards can always be enterpreted differently for different people and situations.