Doing Readings in Your Head?

iPowers

I've been hearing lots of interesting things from people, which is one of my many reasons for wanting to join this site, but what i've heard recently from someone makes me question a lot and I think it would strike up a good discussion.

"I had this one guy tell me that he has such a good connection with his cards that he hasn't done a reading in 5 years because he maps out what the cards will say in his head and determine the future."

Hearing that, I find it fascinating to hear someone say this. It seems possible if someone has had that close of a bond with their cards, but yet I can also see this from a fake perspective. What do you guys think?

entropy

I'm super skeptical about that.

Maybe it's because the process of handling the cards - shuffling, laying out, turning over - is so intrinsic to the experience of reading for me.

Maybe it's because, when doing readings for someone else and they ask if you're telling them something because you know some of the details, it's really helpful to point out that *this* is the card that came up. If the 6 of Swords shows up and you know the person's just walked away from a job or a relationship, well... it isn't the 7 of Wands, which tells you something completely different.

The physical cards keep me honest. I'd be very wary of someone who just visualized the cards. Maybe if they popped up in a dream, I'd be more receptive to the card having some meaning. But not in walking around daylight.

Zephyros

I agree. While, on one hand I think that in time you develop what I like to call "Tarot vision" as in, seeing situations and, like you said, mapping them out or thinking that such an occurrence could be this card or that. Also, if you read long enough, you start to see patterns, since you can't observe behavior for so long without learning a thing or two, so you may foresee how things unfold.

These, however, are personal experiences which can't really be taught or relied upon. It can even be closed minded or judgmental to rely on personal opinion, since, in essence, Tarot teaches you to have an open mind and expand it, but it does rely on that external, physical stimuli (the cards) in order to do this.

However their are clairvoyants who don't use anything.

entropy

Agreed. It isn't that there aren't people who are clairvoyant, psychic, intuitive, or whatnot. I just make the distinction in what they are claiming. If someone is giving you a clairvoyant reading, than that's what it is. If it is a tarot reading, I'd want to see the cards.