Eight Of Wands

poopsie

I noticed that there was no thread on Eight of Wands so I'm opening one now. I hope it can arouse and provoke discussions.

I encountered this card twice in my two readings where I asked questions about business and financials and I really found the card able to help me go into foundational as well practical aspects on how to deal with my concerns.

This was what I picked up from Crowley: "The pictorial representation of the card shows the Light-wands turned into electrical rays, sustaining or even constituting Matter by their vibrating energy. Above this restored universe shines the rainbow; the division of pure light, which deals with maxima, into the seven colours of the spectrum, which exhibit interplay and correlation.

This card, therefore, represents energy of high velocity, such as furnishes the master-key to modern mathematical physics."

And this was how Jan Shepherd, a Thoth tarot expert interprets this: "The Lord of Swiftness is a bright active card which comes up to mark periods of rapid, clear communication. This card will often represent the type of cathartic discussion which resolves misunderstanding and ends confusion. When passing through an event which is sign-posted by the 8 of Wands, there's often a feeling of quick-moving energy, and a sense that obstacles are being swept out of your path.

There's an important aspect of this card that is often overlooked - its spiritual interpretation. It can indicate the kind of direct divine instructions that causes a complete transformation - like a bolt of celestial power striking and infusing you. It provokes a sudden opening of the ways, a new level of understanding and spiritual expansion. Look for cards like the Star, The Priestess or the Hierophant close by in order to identify this not-to-be-missed effect!"

In my case, I realize that the card was able to provide me the foundation I needed to develop a sense of optimism about how things are, at least in my current state. Sometimes, I fail to realize that my own "energies" may work against me, or perhaps, I may have not noticed I even have the power to change my own "mental attitude" about the way I see things, especially when external blocks get the better of me. If I needed to attract good things to happen to me, I needed to first balance myself by realizing that there are actually some of life's givens -- positive and negative aspects and consequences.

The key principle is still Balancing oneself. I just need to take care, though that just as I may be allowing my negative energies to get the better of me, I also need to remember that when this card appears, I also need to ensure that the positive energies I have can also be put to good use. If I overdo things because of my own "gung ho" excitement about this surge of life, I may also "bump" someone or something along the way.

One last point -- I loved it when the 8 of Wands appeared together with the Ace of Wands. Actually, the Ace appeared first ... The ace of Wands is about ENERGY ... bursting and emanating from within. From my point of view, it would also connote the beginning of something -- a new cycle, a new phase in life ... from a card-of-the day perspective wherein one’s feels a sudden surge of inspiration and energy to achieve, to set a goal and work their way to achieving it, to a hopefully setting a long-term goal and working one’s way to achieve this with passion.

The WILL however doesn’t seem to be yet firmly sunk in. As Crowley put it in his book, “It is the primordial Energy of the Divine manifesting in Matter, at so early a stage that it is not yet definitely formulated as Will.”

At least in my reading, since the Ace appeared first - it "told me that I should take advantage of the positive energy I have - from within and from where it comes from (blessings, opportunities I may have not seen). The 8 of Wands helps me to concretize action steps on how to make the energy more results-based.

Tzadkiel

Thanks for sharing, poopsie.

Mercury, the messenger, in Sagittarius, the archer, is a very swift combination. And this card is located in Hod which is the sephirah associated with mercury.

I guess we can expect a lot of mental activity, thoughts, inspirations and messenges when this card appears in a reading. Or we may feel elctrified and full of creative energy that needs to be grounded and manifested.

If we translate the astrological attribution into the corresponding trump cards we find Au I, The Magus and Atu XIV, Art - "The Art of Creation".

In the Eight of Wands we find such a high frequency of fire-energy that it's becoming light, the source of all creation and the power behind all that's created. All matter is light, vibrating on different frequencies.

poopsie

Hi Tzadkiel

I like the word you used -- grounding ... it's what I really need because as of the moment, my mental energy is high owing to recovery from a second kidney transplant operation ... I realized that this is what I need to do to help me focus. I truly appreciate this insight.

csophia

" There's an important aspect of this card that is often overlooked - its spiritual interpretation. It can indicate the kind of direct divine instructions that causes a complete transformation - like a bolt of celestial power striking and infusing you. It provokes a sudden opening of the ways, a new level of understanding and spiritual expansion. Look for cards like the Star, The Priestess or the Hierophant close by in order to identify this not-to-be-missed effect! "

What if it comes close to the Tower??? could also be some spiritual expansion?

Spiffo

I noticed that there was no thread on Eight of Wands so I'm opening one now. I hope it can arouse and provoke discussions.

How strange - I've just been struggling with the Liber-T 8 of Scepters/Wands and here you are with your quite remarkable insights. Liber-T calls this card Dynamization. I find this card often gives clues to the speed of things or how quickly things are likely to happen. The rainbow too is refracted light, white light split into it's component colours. Add ideas about connectedness and the net/web/matrix and ...

Poopsie - I really like your emphasis on the spiritual aspects the Divine Bolt from the blue - I'd like to add the bolt/s emanating from your very essence, radiating in all direction and through time forwards and backwards and sideways. With your Ace of Wands close by I really think the 8 is showing you how powerful those radiating energies can/will/are being.

As I read through this thread I see you are recovering from your second kidney transplant ... how utterly remarkable. I truly hope your recovery is speedy and you shine bright.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

XpS

(just in case - Liber-T is a contemporary rendering of the classic Thoth Deck)