Elemental dignities and the Celtic Cross

Azdaja

Lately I've been thinking about how to incorporate elemental dignities into the Celtic Cross spread. I happened across this:
http://www.supertarot.co.uk/spread/10celtic.htm
on the very useful and informative supertarot site. However, I can't say that I agree with most of the elemental designations the author gives to the various positions.
Refering to the positions as numbered on the supertarot site:
1 and 2: I agree with these.
3: I agree that 3 is air, but it should be east, not north.
5: I agree with 5 is fire, but it should be south, not east.
4: This should be water, as water/cups rule over the subconscious. The direction should be west.
6: This should be earth, as earth shows the crystallization/materialization of the other 3 elements, and the past is that which has already materialized. This as opposed to fire, which in the position of 5 would show the "spark" of inspiration that will, in time, move downwards into physical manifestation.
7, 8, 9, and 10 should be reverse, in my opinion.
So that:
7 = Fire. Your impression of your-self
8 = Water. The impressions you leave on others, or what others think of you. This is the complimentary opposite of 7.
9 = Air. 7 + 8 produces your mental state or personality. Hopes and Fears.
10 = Earth. The crystalization of 9 and/or the entire reading. Outcome.

Again, this is all just my opinion. I was hoping that some other people have thought about this as well. If so, would you mind posting your own attributions here?

poivre

I have never thought about this for the Celtic Cross and
I agree with you.

I think this would work.

Thanks for posting!

Azdaja

And thank you for responding!
I think I'm going to IM supertarot and ask why they have the attributions they do. The guy that runs that site seems very knowledgeable to me, so I wonder if I am just really not understanding his logic.

magela_earth

I like your reasoning on that Azdaja.... I like it a lot. There are things about the Celtic Cross Spread that bother me, but I don't think I could cure them all in one layout...there are too many things to go by...but here's the one I like using. I like them going clock wise and I liked the past being behind and below, etc. etc.

**(6)***(10)
**(2)***(9)
(5)(1)(3)*(8)
**(4)***(7)

1. Present Situation
2. Major Influences (on the situation)
3. Near Future
4. Far Past
5. Recent Events
6. Goal of Inquirer
7. Self
8. Feelings of Others aroud you/Outside forces