Ethics on Where to Read Cards

SunChariot

nisaba said:
Do you eat in public? Is the baby less of a person than you?

No of course not. And I did say too if there was no other place I had no problem with it. The fact is to me the breast is a sexual part of the body and those should be kept private in my opinion. And I don't just see breasts as such because men do or because they are usually covered up. And yes they have other purposes. But to me they give us strong sexual feelings when touched so they are a very sexual part of the body.

And no I never suggested that the baby should have to wait to eat. On the other hand I don't think the baby probably cares where he eats as much as that the can eat when he is hungry.

Then again I have no first-hand experience with babies, but they are very sexual parts of the body to me, even though yes they have other uses. But I'm not personally for taking our sexual parts out in a public places.

Babs

calligirl

Lordy mercy, what the heck? A simple question asking for suggestions about where to meet a friend to have a reading turned into 17 pages!?! If nothing else, this bunch knows how to debate! Gosh, I love this place...

Well, in my little bitty corner of the world, there's no debate. I'm smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt and I'd no more go to a public hotel and pull out my cards than I would wear a bikini, legal or not. It just ain't done.

My suggestion is to find a small park where you won't be disturbed and have a picnic.

Intermission over, back to the debate!

Grizabella

214red said:
what if you dont shuffle , i dont always because i have had the mortification of my cards flipping from my hands and forming an arrow at a guys feet in a coffee shop.

I just got up. (That should speak volumes to those who have seen me "open mouth before brain is in motion" ) and for some reason, that phrase in quote up there just struck my funny bone. Here's a person who is ready to stage a sit-in to revolutionize Seafra's hotel lobby but she'd mind if her shuffling sent cards to form an arrow at a guy's feet. :p Go figure! ((((214red :heart: ))))

silmarillion

the beach,
a picnic area at the park(be prepared for others asking you for readings and watch out for unwelcome visitors who might give you a hard time)
a mutual friends house
a quiet bar with a quiet spot in it
in the garden
a tea shop
cafe
online on msn

LeFarr

I doubt Seafra takes any joy in asking readers to leave or is actively repressing Tarot readers.

Were I in charge of the hotel, I would ask someone to move their reading only if another guest complained.

However, I'm not in charge of the hotel. It being property, Management is free to forbid Tarot reading or not forbid Tarot reading as they please. I'd rather they didn't, but hey.

This is America. You can read Tarot, or do anything else to practice your religion, in public. But a hotel is not public. Its someone's private property, which they allow other someones to stay in. And they are free to allow or disallow anything they want.

I guess my point is, its not what I'd do, but I really don't see why everyone's making a fuss...

nisaba

The thing that's been amusing me for ages and ages in this thread as that we're all talking (me as well) as if Seafra's hotel has swarms of dozens of pushy, loud Tarot readers fighting for foyer-space, their A-frame signs clustered around the outside of the front door, and hundreds upon hundreds of would-be clients plus similar numbers of hate-filled Tarot-enemies rioting in the foyer.

It's such an amusing mental image ...

Has she even had to turn aweay one single Tarot reader? Has she had to turn away drunks, violent people, vandals, graffiti artists, abusive people, thieves, credit-card offenders?

I'll bet there are many other problems she has to deal with on a very regular basis.

A civilised hotel manager walking up to me, if I'm making use of their space when I haven't even paid for a room, asking me quietly to please either remove myself or cease my activities, is someone I'd react well to, be polite to and comply with. After all, if you haven't sought permission in the first place, and haven't contributed to accommodation costs, you are in effect trespassing. A hotel is private property.

SunChariot

LeFarr said:
I doubt Seafra takes any joy in asking readers to leave or is actively repressing Tarot readers.

Were I in charge of the hotel, I would ask someone to move their reading only if another guest complained.

However, I'm not in charge of the hotel. It being property, Management is free to forbid Tarot reading or not forbid Tarot reading as they please. I'd rather they didn't, but hey.

This is America. You can read Tarot, or do anything else to practice your religion, in public. But a hotel is not public. Its someone's private property, which they allow other someones to stay in. And they are free to allow or disallow anything they want.

I guess my point is, its not what I'd do, but I really don't see why everyone's making a fuss...

That's about how I see it too.

Babs

Shade

My my my what a spirited conversation. Like Fudugazi mentioned MANY pages ago I have read in hotel lobbies and I have never been asked to stop. Also like Fudu I have done readings for hotel staff. These aren't paid readings, these are "I have some time to kill" readings.

What would I do if was told to not read with tarot cards in a hotel where I was a guest or dining? I would first politely ask to see the written policy against performing readings. It is amazing how many situations can end right there by just asking to see the policy. If I was told "there is no policy" (because there can't be right) but that the reading was making guests uncomfortable I would look at the manager with true heartfelt sympathy and say I'm being quiet and I am a guest here. Asked to leave again? I would - because at this point a confrontation like that has to be making EVERYONE in the room uncomfortable and I think all businesses somewhere have a "we have a right to refuse service to anyone.

I would be sure to get the manager's full name. I am not a $#!% starter as was discussed earlier but I do take customer service seriously so I would make a call to the hotel's customer service # to complain about the manager. Now... in a smaller hotel or in a hotel where the manager's position reflected the true feelings of his or her employer I assume this would earn them a gold star and a pat on the back for getting rid of the weirdo. I would also post a negative review on hotel rating sites and yelp.com (not mentioning the manager's name). Again, some patrons looking for a place to go would see that review and think "that is EXACTLY where I want to stay, I don't want people doing that sort of thing in a hotel I stay at!"

Why all this? One it's a customer service issue (and it must be painfully difficult for managers anywhere to have to resolve customer service issues). They are doing what they feel is right as a business person and I am doing what I feel is right as a guest. Two I am for the moderate normalization of tarot. If people see tarot being read without any creepiness it makes life easier for tarot readers everywhere.

Seafra

Shade said:
Now... in a smaller hotel or in a hotel where the manager's position reflected the true feelings of his or her employer I assume this would earn them a gold star and a pat on the back for getting rid of the weirdo.

Just want to note that the term 'weirdo' has been introduced by Shade. I did not use any such term when presenting my position as a manager. Also because it is private property there is no need to place a sign about a refusal of service nor does a written policy regarding prohibited activities need to be posted -- it is understood *because* it is private property. Thanks.

Shade

Seafra said:
Just want to note that the term 'weirdo' has been introduced by Shade. I did not use any such term when presenting my position as a manager. Thanks.

Oh absolutely, and it was meant to be slightly hyperbolic to take the edge off of the post itself. I assume that actual congratulation of an employee would sound like "Good call, that's just what I would have done and I am sure the other guests appreciated it."

But when a conversation as lively as this one could get tense I prefer a bit of hyperbole. Other versions might be:

"Oh thank goodness you got rid of her, I don't know how we'll ever get the patchouli smell out of the cushions."

"Well I am glad that gypsy woman is gone but she left her demon. Should that go in the lost and found or did she leave an address?"

"Whew that's a relief, let's go get the sage and get rid of them tarot vibes"

or even

"I'm so glad you did that. I love tarot but can you believe he brought out a Thoth deck... with all these people around. Some people just never think of others' safety. I mean th THOTH deck!"