Ethics on Where to Read Cards

214red

Nevada said:
I agree. Besides, shuffling makes noise, a distinctive sound that would tend to make people turn to see what caused it. Therefore, it is more intrusive than reading a book -- any book -- in silence. Reading a book is a passive activity, book usually held close to the body. Laying out cards requires more space, wider sweeping movements that are again more likely to draw attention. And if you're reading for someone else, you're talking to them, pointing out the cards as you go -- even more obvious and attention grabbing.
what if you dont shuffle , i dont always because i have had the mortification of my cards flipping from my hands and forming an arrow at a guys feet in a coffee shop.
i don't usually point to the cards because the cards are for me to read, they dont need to know why i think what i do.
so if its a non-shuffling, non-card pointing reading....really it looks like a normal girlie gossip....would you still say its more intrusive?

am simply curious

gregory

Do you hold them in your hand and show the sitter the front one and the go on to the next ? If you lay them on a surface - it is more obvious than the page of a book, isn't it ?

214red

gregory said:
Do you hold them in your hand and show the sitter the front one and the go on to the next ? If you lay them on a surface - it is more obvious than the page of a book, isn't it ?
i have a tendancy to lay them in front of me even if i am reading for myself, so yes it is more obvious but i dont point to them i say my piece and have them close to me so i can see what i am meant to be reading.

so yes it can be more obvious then reading a book (but its not the CC its like 3-5 cards)...but there is nothing to draw attention to me, people are often curious but i am too (i have a bad habit of reading newspapers of the person next to me when on the tube). chatting draws attention to you, doesnt matter what subject it is...should you not chat in a place either?

***disclaimer** this is not an attack i am just trying to understand your reasoning, i am like a 3 yr old who doesnt understand anything so i ask 'Why' all the time:)

Sophie

Seafra said:
The property I work at does not offer privacy in the lobby. You get your privacy in your room. The lobby is Grand Central Station (as most lobbies are). The owner would be livid if someone did readings there -- or anything that might make other guests uncomfortable. We have pet-friendly rooms but don't allow the pets in the lobby because -- lets face it -- not every likes dogs.

If you allow tarot card reading, what do we do with people who might want to do a religious service there? Where is the line drawn?

I'm not working at a 4 star hotel by the way.

That aside, hearing people say they will read where they want when they want until they are thrown out -- all I hear is that negative rebellious stance which personally I feel is senseless. How ethical is that? What is the Cause? Is it worth the disruption it would create? How does that reflect on other card readers? What respect does that show for others?

Sorry, can't see it.
I've often read tarot for myself or others in hotel lobbies - at a table, quietly. No fuss, nobody inconvenienced, and nobody bats an eyelid. Wouldn't even occur to me it's not the right place for it. It's as though I was told it's not the right place for reading a book or knitting. I'm not going to start sweating about some putative fellow guest who might have a wool phobia. I've never seen the hotel management do that either, and nobody ever asked me to stop reading or showed the least bit of discomfort.

Do you allow business people to discuss business in the lobby?

I see that in hotels all the time, business people discussing business in the lobby. Sometimes they are selling and buying coats, sometimes arms, sometimes alcohol, sometimes engine parts. Some of the business might be completely unethical and even murderous. Who's to know? I have overheard guys discussing arms deals in hotels. I am very disturbed by that, but what? Am I going to make a scandal at the hotel and tell the manager that these two bastards are planning to sell weapons that might kill innocents so please, let them do it in the privacy of their rooms?

Of course, in a small lobby with no room at all and where everyone is crowded, the business people are unlikely to want to discuss these things anyway. Likewise, in such a lobby, I wouldn't read tarot - it's just not comfortable, because there's nowhere to lay the cards. I wouldn't knit, either.

This is pretty much the case for all public places, for me. I will read for someone anywhere they feel comfortable as a querent and I as reader. That's about as complicated as I make it. I'm not a rebel - I just live and let live. So of course, if you come to tell me that I can't read tarot in your hotel lobby, I will desist. I won't make a fuss. I just won't come back. *shrug* I suppose as a business person, you have to decide if you are likely to get more "live and let live" types of guests, or uptight born again Christians who object to tarot reading in public; and what kind of guest you actually want. That's a marketing issue, and beyond the scope of this thread (or forum).

BTW, several times I've read tarot in hotels or cafes, I've had staff come and ask for readings when they knock off or during a quiet moment ;)

214red

Fudugazi said:
I've often read tarot for myself or others in hotel lobbies - at a table, quietly. No fuss, nobody inconvenienced, and nobody bats an eyelid. Wouldn't even occur to me it's not the right place for it. It's as though I was told it's not the right place for reading a book or knitting. I'm not going to start sweating about some putative fellow guest who might have a wool phobia. I've never seen the hotel management do that either, and nobody ever asked me to stop reading or showed the least bit of discomfort.

Do you allow business people to discuss business in the lobby?

I see that in hotels all the time, business people discussing business in the lobby. Sometimes they are selling and buying coats, sometimes arms, sometimes alcohol, sometimes engine parts. Some of the business might be completely unethical and even murderous. Who's to know? I have overheard guys discussing arms deals in hotels. I am very disturbed by that, but what? Am I going to make a scandal at the hotel and tell the manager that these two bastards are planning to sell weapons that might kill innocents so please, let them do it in the privacy of their rooms?

Of course, in a small lobby with no room at all and where everyone is crowded, the business people are unlikely to want to discuss these things anyway. Likewise, in such a lobby, I wouldn't read tarot - it's just not comfortable, because there's nowhere to lay the cards. I wouldn't knit, either.

This is pretty much the case for all public places, for me. I will read for someone anywhere they feel comfortable as a querent and I as reader. That's about as complicated as I make it. I'm not a rebel - I just live and let live. So of course, if you come to tell me that I can't read tarot in your hotel lobby, I will desist. I won't make a fuss. I just won't come back. *shrug* I suppose as a business person, you have to decide if you are likely to get more "live and let live" types of guests, or uptight born again Christians who object to tarot reading in public; and what kind of guest you actually want. That's a marketing issue, and beyond the scope of this thread (or forum).

BTW, several times I've read tarot in hotels or cafes, I've had staff come and ask for readings when they knock off or during a quiet moment ;)

Completely agree!

and yes i have had staff come over and ask for readings after their shift a number of times....nice to know i am not alone

gregory

Yes - I agree it's absolutely fine as long as no-one minds. The issue was what if someone does - where is the line drawn ? I think no-one likes pushing it to the discomfort of others - I hope ?

Sophie

gregory said:
Yes - I agree it's absolutely fine as long as no-one minds. The issue was what if someone does - where is the line drawn ? I think no-one likes pushing it to the discomfort of others - I hope ?
Nope. But I would simply not stay in such a hotel again. I live and let live, and expect other people to offer me the same courtesy. When other people's discomfort impinge of my freedom and they seek to impose their morals on me, that's when I leave.

Personally, I would never want to own or run a service business that didn't have tolerance and keeping noses out of other people's affairs as its lynchpin. I would be disturbed by a display from a moralistic person telling me they found discomfort in a couple of people quietly and courteously laying down cards in a corner. I wouldn't want my place to be regimented by such people. But that is me. If the area where you live has more interferers-in-others-business than live-and-let-livers, then obviously, you have to run your business accordingly.

But then, as I said, I've read in hotels in 4 continents, more times than I can remember, and never had a problem. In fact, I've never encountered a problem or a negative reaction reading tarot anywhere, except once, in my own home, when my cousin's boyfriend left the flat when he saw my cards. He was a religious nut and didn't last as a boyfriend.

gregory

Fudugazi said:
Nope. But I would simply not stay in such a hotel again. I live and let live, and expect other people to offer me the same courtesy. When other people's discomfort impinge of my freedom and they seek to impose their morals on me, that's when I leave.
I don't refer to the HOTEL's morals; I am thinking of what a hotel should do when one guest upsets another guest - whether or not we think it reasonable for them to be upset.... By all means avoid the GUEST, but....

Seafra

Fudugazi said:
laying down cards in a corner.

Point is, we don't have a corner (which I mentioned earlier).

Most new hotels put all their sq ft into rooms and are creating smaller and smaller lobbies -- rightly or wrongly the hotel industry considers lobbies to be wasted space (unless it is a boutique hotel or a convention center with mini-suites or full suites).

Will return to this later as other duties call.

ETA: Yes, there is a story Gregory. Will share later. hehehe ...

214red

gregory said:

I don't push their discomfort, but its their discomfort and thats not my fault. like i said, if i am not comfortable with something someone is reading or doing near me, I move...its my issue not theirs.

I have read in many hotels, bars, cafes, pancake shops etc and not had an issue with the owners etc. i have been yelled at by a fellow patrons/guests before and have had the staff come and thank me for not reacting....making a scene is not my thing

if they had an issue i wouldn't go back and likely would let my friends know about the treatment i got there.