Exhibition in Melbourne (Aus.)

jmd

On Saturday the 3rd of Nov., until the 27th of December (2001), Armana Robin Lee has an exhibition of 32 paintings inspired by the Tarot (the 22 major arcanas and the numbers 1 to 10, as achetypes of the pip cards).

If in the region, check them out at Lovegrove Winery (they actually make nice wines!), in Cottles Bridge (Melways ref.: 263 K1). Open on weekends.

I know that this has not been well advertised, but its great to see what other people are doing with the Tarot.

marichan

Quote:jmd (12 Nov, 2001 18:57):
On Saturday the 3rd of Nov., until the 27th of December (2001), Armana Robin Lee has an exhibition of 32 paintings inspired by the Tarot (the 22 major arcanas and the numbers 1 to 10, as achetypes of the pip cards).

O poo! :( I live on the other side of the globe, otherwise I'd love to see this.

Maybe someone can scan in a photo or exhibition guide afterwards so that we can have an idea what the paintings looked like?

tarotbear

Or hopefully, someone will create a website for the exhibition.......

MeeWah

JMD: It sounds wonderful--just my cuppa :) Unfortunately, the location is not convenient :(
Are you planning on attending the exhibition? If so, will you tell us about it?

jmd

We went to the opening...

It is located on the outskirts of Melbourne, in a large mudbrick reception 'room', part of a building which also serves as a residence to the vineyard. The area has had a long (for Aust.) association with artists, and their wines would classify as 'boutique': very nice and a little over standard prices for similar styles and quality.

Armana first did a Tarot course about 10 years ago (at the time still in her late teens), and has been working on this for a number of years.

The paintings range in size from approx. A4 to 1.25 X .7 metres. The style is not consistent, but rather reflects the aspects of each card she was working on, and the ease she appears to have had in entering the essence or aspect of each card.

I do not recall each painting in detail, but as an example, the Fool was of a head with a juggler's hat; the High Priestess had two mirrors facing each other, eternally reflecting a standing woman; the face of the Emperor was over his heart, lacking a head; And the lovers were embracing and clearly depicting Fire and Water.

A coherent text accompanied each painting, and some of Aust.'s nicest cheeses were provided as repast...

Most of the paintings were for sale, and we decided to avail ourselves of one... (we have many artist friends, and go to art openings a number a times each year... at which we rarely purchase any. I mention this to explain that the purchase wasn't made on sentimental or such grounds).

MeeWah

JMD: Thank you very much for taking the time to share some of the paintings. They sound as intriguing as I thought they would be! & it's wonderful that y'all are supportive of the artist community & of Tarot :)

kayne

Hey All,
I looked up Armana Lee in Google and it showed this site with some of her work:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~artary/al1.htm
I would love to see her Tarot inspired work too.
K.

jmd

Thanks for that link...

You've definitely hooked on to the same artist...

blumoon

i'm in sydney, pity it is just in melbourne :-(

when i read your description of the two mirrors in the high priestess painting something kinda "clicked" for me :)...it sounds like an interesting painting!

lindamars

Exhibition sounds great - have added it to the What's On section of the Tarot Guild of Australia site - www.tarotguild.org.au.

Cheers