Fairy Ring Oracle - Tryamour 3rd Card

LilRed

Card: Tryamour, Six
Court: Autumn Court

There is a young, long haired, blond girl sitting in a long golden dress on top of a rock. You can tell that her thoughts are turned inwards, she looks almost sad, her face and posture seem almost… regretful, thoughts full of forlorn.
Standing away from her is a knight wearing a look of wistfulness…wishing he could get closer but knowing there is almost…a wall between them as he stands there with a sword over his right shoulder.

Behind them both stands the opening gates to a stone castle. The owner’s colors wave on three flags across the top between the two towers, which have arrow slits on them.

The legend speaks of a dairy maiden that was very devoted to her mortal lover but he was not able to speak about her to anyone or to summon her when others were around. He betrayed this promise when he denied Guinevere’s advances and said that his lovers lowest hand maiden was more beautiful then the Queen. She was out raged by this and he was sentenced to death after having a year and one day to prove it, on the day he was supposed to die his lover showed up and saved him. They rode off and once a year he could be seen viewing the mortal world that was now denied to him.

Meaning: Choice of heart instead of head, the cards around her depict the type of meaning, weather it is good or bad.

Reversed: External & internal pressures on a relationship

ncefafn

Legends like this always make me wonder why courtly lovers always set such arbitrary and seemingly foolish limits on their beloved. Perhaps it hearkens back to the story of Psyche and Eros, and Eros's demand that Psyche never look upon his face. What is it about closing off one of the senses in regard to one's lover that makes the love magical? Psyche was not allowed to look. Tryamour's lover was not allowed to speak. So does setting boundaries make love more holy or more pure?

Just as Psyche was required to endure a series of tests or tasks before winning back Eros, Tryamour's lover was sentenced to death after a period of 101 days. During those days, he did not speak of Tryamour again, and so he proved himself worthy, despite his initial slip.

Perhaps the legend, and this card, are about how one should respect love and treat it as something sanctified, not to be sullied by contact with the mundane. If you treat love with respect and delicacy, its more profound rewards will be yours.

I know I didn't talk much about the imagery on this card -- sorry.

Kim

LilRed

Not speaking

Also one thing that is quite common, especialy in the Celtic type areas is that the fairys are not spoken about. They to this day are the "The Little People" becuase to speak the word "Fairy" is to bring their attention to you. Also it would possibly have been seen as bragging when talking about her.
LilRed

ncefafn

LilRed said:
They to this day are the "The Little People" becuase to speak the word "Fairy" is to bring their attention to you.

Aha, I'd missed that. Thank you!

Kim

LilRed

If you have the book and read the....Introduction (I think, my book is at home) it tells you a bit about the history. If not let me know and I can get that paragraph to you.
LilRed

ncefafn

No, I do have the book, it's just been ages since I read the introduction. If I read it at all. I have a habit of skipping to the good bits. ;)

Kim

purple_scorp

Ah, there’s that fairy from those other fairy festival cards. Is she plastic? It seems she only comes in one pose. What is the reason for that? Does anybody have a theory?

She looks really sad, and very pre-occupied with something. The knight at the castle’s door is giving her a clayton’s look. You know, it’s the look you’re having when you’re not having a look. (For those that have no clue what I’m going on about, there used to be a non-alcoholic drink called clayton’s and their marketing was – it’s the drink you’re having when your not having a drink! – hmm, guess you needed to be there.)

So, why does she wait outside the castle? And, why is she staring into oblivion? Numerologically, six is about idealism, sympathy, unselfishness, and harmony (usually found in sweet, sensitive souls). It is the number of love. Six is the astrological equivalent to Libra – so they like beautiful things around. So, why is she sad? She is either going to lose something soon, and knows about it, or has just lost something. Hmm, is this card about loss?

Checking the book now: Okay, so that knight dude is her lover – that explains why he’s so totally checking her out!!! And her name means “test of love”.

What a cool story….and she leads with her heart – it’s a card of choice (kind of like the Lovers in Tarot, isn’t it?)

Going off to read your replies now….then onto card 4 :)

purple_scorp

WooMonkey

Text impressions: A lovely legend, although my initial reaction was "why did she make him sweat it so long?". But after reading ncefafn's reply, I guess I can see it as a kind of penance.

Card impression: I agree with others that the image of Tryamour looks very sad and pensive. Perhaps this is what she looked like right after he broke his promise? Or maybe she is contemplating what to do after it was decreed that Launfal must produce her?

Divination: The somewhat regretful, preoccupied look of this card does give the feeling of difficult, important decisions.