Fear (of freedom?)

94stranger

Fear of freedom is of course the title of a famous book by the psychologist Erich Fromm.

I did a spread with my Rainring cards asking: why does no-one comment on my posts?

Look down the list of posts: they all received comments, except the Rainring ones, none of which did. The summary card in the spread answering the question 'Why does no-one comment on my posts?' was: Fear.

So what are you all afraid of?

According to Madame Seaqueen, a vastly experienced and highly original card reader who blogs elsewhere (see google), it is fear of the unknown, the new.

I would love to entice even one of aeclectic's silent army out into the open. Is it the new that you're afraid of?

Bernice

Hi 94stranger:

Just read your post re. the Rainring cards. Am now in the process
of browsing previous Rainring threads.

So far it seems that the emphasis is on emotions and semi-conscious
areas, which is fine if you're into psycho-delving. But many peoples'
concerns lie in the phsyical world of here and now - where cash, food,
and a satifactory life-style (able to pay the bills, do the job, and
have successful relationships etc.) are of primary importance.

Your idea of working through the cards to externalise the meanings
sounds like a winning (and appealing) idea.

I'll keep checking in on the Rainring threads - will post again when
I have more info. on them and a better idea of what they do.
They're new to me :)

Bee.

94stranger

psycho-delving

Hi Bee,
thanks for your response. YES, Rainring cards are not intended to be yet another system for getting info on the bread and butter issues which we are all deeply involved in!
Their aim, in a nutshell, is based on this perception: our parents bring us up to conform, as far as possible, to their desires as to who we should be. You could almost say that that's perfectly normal - after all, they pay the bills! On the other hand, it leaves each of us with the following problem: how to live not the life that THEY intended for us, but one that we intend for ourselves. I am convinced that the only chance we have of doing that is to work inside ourselves. That's one of the main purposes of the Rainring cards.
Anyhow, thanks for your interest and, as you suggested, keep in touch.

94stranger

Further thoughts

It's been a couple of months since this post, and Rainring has started to interest a few more of the aeclectic community (and I mean a few!)

As can be seen, I did manage to flush one grouse out of the heather (forgive me Bernice for the metaphor), but re-reading this, I'm struck by the importance of the question which Bernice raises: outer versus inner.

Rainring is in a different place in the card spectrum for the following reason: it takes time to master, and its results are not instant. So WHY BOTHER TO STRUGGLE WITH NAVEL-GAZING?

This is what I wanted to add when I re-read the above exchange: are there people out there who believe like me that inner determines outer, not the other way round? In other words, the freedom that we have inside ourselves (how restrictive or otherwise our conditioning) determines absolutely how much freedom we have in relationship, career, money-making and so on.

This generation has seen a massive expansion in the external freedom that women have. Does anyone out there believe that, to get from being second best in a man's world to being first equal in a woman's world is going to take inner work, without which all the outer-world efforts will only have a limited effect?

Bernice

Late reply. Only just found this post, sorry 94Stranger.
94Stranger:
the question which Bernice raises: outer versus inner
Now this is a useful way to look at the way we conduct ourselves in relation to the 'outer world at large'. How many of us go along with the 'expected' way to think and behave? As all change begins 'within', what impact could these cards have on our perception of our 'place' in society or culture?

This could be a very interesting investigation into how our respones are governed by, the media, for example....

Bee