Feedback on my simple, new tarot page

ashtoreth

Hello everybody,

After 12 years of practicing based on word of mouth, I finally decided to put out a site! Last Sunday I sat down and put this together in the span of a whole day! I've been polishing it since, and I finally feel it's presentable enough and has all the information I was looking to put there.

Seeing how I don't trust my design/color sense or my general ability to work with websites, I would love some honest feedback :)

http://www.sangeetakrishnan.com/

Lots of love,
ashtoreth

divinerofcards

Hello ashtoreth,
Thank you for sharing your website with us. My initial impression is that I like the feeling you are trying to convey.

I find the purple link color is a little dark. Personally I might either lighten the purple, or choose a light shade of blue from your background image to tie the site together.

Another thing that really struck me is that on your About Me page, every paragraph starts with “I” and typically in writing that should be avoided - even if it's about you. Try changing up the first few words in each paragraph to avoid the repetition.

One more thing, your testimonials seem to have a really small font. I might bump that font size up - this is your resume and should be easier to read, I think.

Great first effort I say. :) Impressive for one day!!

Toni

*on your comment page at the bottom it says "no comments:" which is probably an oversight or typo...

AJ

frequently asked questions
"You may seek an interpretation of your one-off or recurring dreams."

Should be one-of ?

services
"Single 1-h session"

avoid contractions and short hand, spell everything out.

services.
Shoppers should not have to click on Buy Now to see what the charges will be.

Do you REALLY allow TEN questions per reading? :)

Very nice site, best wishes

ashtoreth

Wow, thank you both for your super detailed feedback!

Toni, good spots! I'm getting down to making all these changes right away. I always end up writing those About Me pages like that--I've seen people use third person and I thought that was rather pretentious :p But using "I" too much sounds pompous! It's a trap, lol. I'm going to try and fix this too.

Thank's for the proofread AJ =)

I am not very familiar with email readings, so I use 10 as an arbitrary limit for the number of questions..the way I figure, often people ask for general information, which turn out to be very, very long and detailed readings, or frame their questions in such a way that you end up answering in far greater detail anyway. Although I am open to feedback on this. What would be the ideal way to limit an email reading?

Think I will also include a price in a couple of currencies to make it simpler :)

Appreciate it!
Love,
Ashtoreth

Tarotiana

and I always like to see a pic of the person who offers tarot sessions on the first page :)

...and I would not like to read that someone is the founder of a religous way of thought or a witch... If others are like me, you could scare them a way with that??

I also see on your articles that I have to circle my name on my articles to see where they connect to me. Otherwise peolpe have to read each and every article to find out where the article talks about me. I guess you have the same problem with your newspaper articles that I have...So we should fix that :)

divinerofcards

...and I would not like to read that someone is the founder of a religous way of thought or a witch... If others are like me, you could scare them a way with that??

I'm going to agree with Tarotiana on this... I was put off by it... but wasn't sure if it was maybe just me. Personally I believe in a whole lot of other things that are not vocalized on my website for that same reason... I try to "vanillasize" my site as much as I can for the general public. Very very few people know what my real beliefs are - it has little to do with what I do - but a lot to do with why and how I do it. (Which no one really cares about anyway.)

If you would like to include this information, try to hint at it with terms that the "initiated" will understand without alienating those who may have other belief systems. Or add a "Links" page, with a different site for your Wiccan followers. I agree that you may be limiting your audience by declaring your beliefs outright. You are entitled to them, but think mainstream if you wish to cast a wider net. For the same reason, if I enter a site of great interest to my esoteric me but read in the first paragraph that it is a Christian-driven or "other"-driven site, I immediately click out of it. I am not closed minded at all, (far far from that) but it is a very defining statement to declare your beliefs in the first paragraph.

Thanks Tarotiana for declaring that the Emperor is wearing no clothes. That is usually what I do ;) and it has merit IMHO.

Brightest Blessings,
Toni

tarotbear

Wow! :bugeyed: For one day THAT is pretty good! CONGRATULATIONS!

Yes - put your picture on the first page.

Yes - the FAQs were in a type too small for me - remember that people are not only on a PC these days but their handheld gizmos, etc, so keeping everything in an easy-to-read font size will work better!

Rhoswen

"One-off" is correct, not "one of."

But it's British English slang, and therefore not immediately understood by speakers of other versions of English.

Perhaps you'd consider recasting the sentence to something like ""You may seek an interpretation of either a one-time dream or a recurring one."

Great start on your site!

ashtoreth

and I always like to see a pic of the person who offers tarot sessions on the first page :)

I also see on your articles that I have to circle my name on my articles to see where they connect to me. Otherwise peolpe have to read each and every article to find out where the article talks about me. I guess you have the same problem with your newspaper articles that I have...So we should fix that :)

Tarotiana, I always thought that was a problem, so much to read through to see where my name was. That's an awesome idea! I think I'll also have a zoomed-in version of the pics for easier reading. It's going to take a while to edit all the pics though...

Tarotiana/Toni: Thanks for being honest about the Wicca thing. I never thought of it so much that way because Wicca is far less of a religion and (where I am) it adds to the shock and awe factor to a great deal, perhaps piquing curiosity even--plus I've never been able to quite differentiate my wiccan and diviner identities. I know if I went to a site that advertised a religious order I might be put off too, so I can totally relate, although I wouldn't have figured this on my own anytime soon. This paragraph is going to come off right away, and I'm probably going to tone it down and include it at the end (where I list my day job) with a link to it.

Thanks Tarotbear! I don't know what got into me. Years of procrastination, I guess lol :) Fixing the fonts.

Rhoswen, I changed the line to edit out one-off entirely. I figured it was not a common word. I didn't even know it was British English slang! I thought it was a proper (but out-of-use) word.

Thanks, all of you. I can't begin to tell you how much this is helping!

Love,

Rhoswen

Rhoswen, I changed the line to edit out one-off entirely. I figured it was not a common word. I didn't even know it was British English slang! I thought it was a proper (but out-of-use) word.

You are absolutely correct: It's not slang. My bad!! But it is British English. According to the New York Times, its use is actually gaining somewhat in the U.S.—that is, when it's not changed to "one-of," which apparently often happens. :(

Here's the full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/magazine/04FOB-onlanguage-t.html?_r=0