Fire versus Air--The Swords/Wands controversy

tarotbear

Well, Kiama -- in the Robin Wood deck, the upright wand between the two sunflowers on the Ace of Wands does not leave much to the imagination... ;P ;P

Kiama

Which is why I so love the Robin Wood deck! ;p

Kiama

Aeon

Just to throw my two cents in here... When I think of swords, I think of the sword flying through the air (someone already mentioned this) and that the pen is mightier than the sword. Pens being for writing, writing involving thought.
For Wands I always imagine a wand being used in casting a circle. Energy/fire going out of the wand to cast it. The wand is used to focus and direct that energy. Definitly an action to me.

any of that make sense? I know my mind goes off on strange tangents occasionally

Aeon

nexyjo
21 Aug 2001

Quote:Aeon (22 Aug, 2001 05:25):
Just to throw my two cents in here... When I think of swords, I think of the sword flying through the air (someone already mentioned this) and that the pen is mightier than the sword. Pens being for writing, writing involving thought.
For Wands I always imagine a wand being used in casting a circle. Energy/fire going out of the wand to cast it. The wand is used to focus and direct that energy. Definitly an action to me.

any of that make sense? I know my mind goes off on strange tangents occasionally

Aeon

it'a funny, i was about to agree, and then i remembered i disagree! sheesh, i'm loosing it...
actually, because i use the robin wood tarot, but still hold on to the traditional wiccan correspondences for swords (athames) and wands, i've become quite used to seeing them either way. i see the two - air and fire, or wands and swords, as pretty close anyway, just like i see pentacles and cups, water and earth as pretty closely related. it's the mental and the physical.

and as i mentioned earlier, the meanings don't seem to change no matter which correspondence is used. i think there's significant crossover between those sets of suits, enough to not make that much of a difference when they're changed.

luv and light,
nexy

Jane
22 Aug 2001

Hi,

The Nigel Jackson tarot has swords as fire
and wands a air.

Since I first learned them the other way
around that always threw me a bit. When
I've tried to read with that deck I use the
way I learned, it's only really obvious in
the aces.

Jane

Logiatrix
22 Aug 2001

how serendipitous!
i have been struggling with this very topic for the last couple of weeks, because i am now using the "renaissance tarot," by brian williams, with the wands/air and swords/fire assignments.
it's starting to make a lot of sense, as i work and re-work the cards; these other perspectives have helped even more!
:)
i think of the swords of fire the angels hold as they guard the gates of eden and how a sword is shaped by fire. my own wand is made with feathers, an air symbol, and the handle is decorated with an aventurine crystal, also affiliated with air. in ritual, i move my wand through the air and i move my sword over flame.

The Fire versus Air--The Swords/Wands controversy thread was originally posted on 18 Aug 2001 in the Talking Tarot board, and is now archived in the Forum Library. Read the threads in Talking Tarot, or read more archived threads.

nexyjo

Quote:Aeon (22 Aug, 2001 05:25):

Aeon

it'a funny, i was about to agree, and then i remembered i disagree! sheesh, i'm loosing it...
actually, because i use the robin wood tarot, but still hold on to the traditional wiccan correspondences for swords (athames) and wands, i've become quite used to seeing them either way. i see the two - air and fire, or wands and swords, as pretty close anyway, just like i see pentacles and cups, water and earth as pretty closely related. it's the mental and the physical.

and as i mentioned earlier, the meanings don't seem to change no matter which correspondence is used. i think there's significant crossover between those sets of suits, enough to not make that much of a difference when they're changed.

luv and light,
nexy

Jane
22 Aug 2001

Hi,

and wands a air.

the aces.

Jane

Logiatrix
22 Aug 2001

how serendipitous!
i have been struggling with this very topic for the last couple of weeks, because i am now using the "renaissance tarot," by brian williams, with the wands/air and swords/fire assignments.
it's starting to make a lot of sense, as i work and re-work the cards; these other perspectives have helped even more!
i think of the swords of fire the angels hold as they guard the gates of eden and how a sword is shaped by fire. my own wand is made with feathers, an air symbol, and the handle is decorated with an aventurine crystal, also affiliated with air. in ritual, i move my wand through the air and i move my sword over flame.

The Fire versus Air--The Swords/Wands controversy thread was originally posted on 18 Aug 2001 in the Talking Tarot board, and is now archived in the Forum Library. Read the threads in Talking Tarot, or read more archived threads.

Jane

Hi,

and wands a air.

the aces.

Jane

Logiatrix

how serendipitous!