First attempt at I-Ching: Hex 8 & 42?

kmagdalena09

I'm mostly confused about 8. Mind you, I know nothing about this form of divination and this was my first go, and the first interpretation I read of Hexagram 8 (Pi) was that it was docile, receptive; things staying the same. This wasn't good, as I was sitting there in the midst of my quarter life crisis, wondering if the dreams I've had since birth would ever come to fruition, or if the mistakes I've made were just too much to allow me to turn around. When I researched 8 further, it seemed to point more to the idea of "union," which was very prevalent, but I didn't know how to relate it to myself...how would you interpret it?

In any case, still not satisfied, I asked, "can I turn things around from where they are now and come out on top?" which was when 42 appeared, and interpretations seemed to that of, "if you open yourself up to abundance, abundance has no choice but to come," etc...occurrences of good fortune through one's actions, climbing the hill, but having to do good with those occurrences. So kind of like..."the universe is not against you; if you change the way you live, life has no choice but to change." A quote I found that I really liked regarding 42 was " A great thought, which is not being put into practice, will never reach the Gods," which sort of relates to that 8 in that way. In other words, 8 points to me being docile and not taking enough control...but if I do, things will look up. Yes? No? Totally off?

jeffrey2530

my I-Ching book for 8 and 42 are..

8. Coming Together

An empowered person notes how rivers flow into the sea, and realizes how small contributions combine to form great forces.

Keywords : Unifying, coming together, joining a group, following a leader, finding your place in an effort, identifying your role.

_________

42. Transcending Limits

The empowered person senses a rare and unique opportunity, and goes above and beyond his or her limits in order to take advantage of it.

Keywords: Growth, bounty, boundlessness, unlimited potential, possibility, potency, development, capability, excellence.

I hope this helps..:D Oh right, in my I-Ching book it talks about primary and secondary hexagram, you did the secondary ones?

bradford

Here's my own translation and commentary of 08.
The books are free downloads from http://www.hermetica.info

08.X, Overall Image
Across the earth there is water
Belonging
The early sovereigns, accordingly,
established the numerous realms
to make kinsmen of all of the leaders

Across the commonest ground, the waters collect, drawn on by the least resistance
to gather. The myriad streams pay a tribute to ocean, holder of all the deep regions.
To make the water come your way, move to the lowest place. To know where this is
just follow the pull, sense the undercurrents, the interconnectedness, the tidal forces.
The rivers and rains take the low path to ocean. The high achievements and the lofty
ideals become islands. This is far more humble than that. Troubles are fewest when
families stand united, related and familiar. Where the family is in fragments, grant it
some common ground. One rarely hears of factions, fragments and pieces of water.

08.0, Belonging
Promising
For a first consultation, supreme and enduring commitment
Not a mistake
Wanting peace, approach directly
The late are the unfortunate ones

Belonging is drawn by attraction; it’s not a thing to be pushed. Holding the people
together is not a thing that you think of, plan, then jump up and do. It is something
you make yourself ready for, or worthy of, or appropriate to. The spontaneous ones
arrive first, feeling their way in, finding their place, the preliminaries done in accord
with their natures, not in accordance with judgment and logic. Life has had long ages
to figure family out. The older parts of a primate’s brain are filled with little scripts
and devices to hold the band together, the subtlest signals and signs, rewards, alarms,
taboos and incentives, or even tricks like love to keep you from eating your children.
The family goes way back. If you are in the right place then right things will come.
But do not ask the water to climb. Why are you not where you say that you wanted
to be? Ask first if you are fit to this place. Is this the right place at all? So what is it
holding you back? Reassess yourself and start over. If you find you must belong,
it is easier to remake yourself than something larger than you. The late seek effects
and not causes, or they have too little in common with what they would belong to.

08.M, Key Words
Affiliation, association, alliance, confluence, congress, concourse, convergence,
Assimilation, coherence, cohesion, concord, commonality; bonding, joining, unity
Affinity, accord, mutuality, merging, sharing, union, nearness, welcome, kinship
Similarity, relatedness; to be drawn together; group by type and family, compare
Identification with; organic leadership, forces of attraction; kind-ness, like-ness
Common ground, origin, interest or cause; mitakuye oyasin (all of my relations)

08.G, From the Glossary
bi3 (to) accord, belong, combine, go together, join, affiliate, unite, associate (to,
with); sort, compare, match, assemble, join, follow, (put, hold) together, draw an
analogy (s, ed, ing); (to be) affiliated, paired (with), concordant, well-disposed;
close, familiar; successive, comparable, analogous, similar; on behalf of; (a, the)
union, belonging, affiliation, association, togetherness, congestion, commonality

zhan.thay

I'm mostly confused about 8. Mind you, I know nothing about this form of divination and this was my first go, and the first interpretation I read of Hexagram 8 (Pi) was that it was docile, receptive; things staying the same. This wasn't good, as I was sitting there in the midst of my quarter life crisis, wondering if the dreams I've had since birth would ever come to fruition, or if the mistakes I've made were just too much to allow me to turn around. When I researched 8 further, it seemed to point more to the idea of "union," which was very prevalent, but I didn't know how to relate it to myself...how would you interpret it?
I'm no great sage with the I Ching either but I'll see if I can help. In my experience you have to find books or interpretations which are in harmony with your view of the world and your spiritual journey and this is part of the message for hexagram 8 too. "8. Accord. Accord bodes well." means that your efforts should be in accord with your intentions. "Make sure the basis is always right, so that there will be no fault." build good foundations and don't try to run before you can walk. "Then the uneasy will come." Then your uncertainties or anxieties will be drawn into the current of of your efforts - to be harmonised, utilised or discarded. "Latecomers are unfortunate." Whatever can't find place in your accord, or keep pace with the momentum of your efforts will be left behind.

I'm not going to say you should use the I Ching, or Book of Changes, as I do, which is to find guidance as to the appropriate attitude to take for a successful outcome given the circumstances of the moment. Everyone has their own take on things and whether it will be useful for them. I have a tendency to view the interpretations in light of self-improvement and self-mastery.

In your case, being in crisis and wondering if long-held dreams will ever come to fruition, IMO, hexagram 8 instructs you to make sure all your activities are in line with what you want to achieve. "Docile" has acquired a slang connotation (especially in Australia) of being a wimp, or woossy. In my reading of the hexagram the "docile" is the supporting activities which help to propagate your main purpose - they follow along giving encouragement and enhancing the momentum. The useless or distracting are left behind as a matter of course, not necessarily deliberately.

In any case, still not satisfied, I asked, "can I turn things around from where they are now and come out on top?" which was when 42 appeared, and interpretations seemed to that of, "if you open yourself up to abundance, abundance has no choice but to come," etc...occurrences of good fortune through one's actions, climbing the hill, but having to do good with those occurrences. So kind of like..."the universe is not against you; if you change the way you live, life has no choice but to change." A quote I found that I really liked regarding 42 was " A great thought, which is not being put into practice, will never reach the Gods," which sort of relates to that 8 in that way. In other words, 8 points to me being docile and not taking enough control...but if I do, things will look up. Yes? No? Totally off?

"42. Increase. For increase, it is beneficial to go somewhere." to deal with the mundane or seemingly inconsequential. "It is beneficial to cross great rivers." Undertake to do great work, ensure that a major project will be achieved and/or that outstanding effort is given.

I think your assessment is pretty close and thinking back to my "quarter life crisis" times my challenge was to decide whether I was looking up apprehensively from youth, indecision, and not knowing if I had the skills or whether I approached a situation with an attitude of: there is a competent, confident way that successful people get this done and I will too. Gather the tools and resources, have them at hand and do the business small and large.

zhan.thay

Interesting to see the other replies and their diversity of meanings crop up while I was typing my reply. Thanks everyone. I'll have to check my other book now.