Flotsam and Jetsam Divination Kits! Help create one for you and one for me!

thorhammer

I can't wait either!!! I've been experimenting a little with my incomplete oracle - sadly it's in a pretty little baggie that I like for it but it'll probably double in bulk (can you tell I've been baking? :D) so it won't fit in there. I need a bigger baggie, and a flat tray/basket like someone (Wendy?) posted they found and I'm set.

I'm boring. I dip in, grab a handful, then cast it onto a reading surface which is not marked, and I tell the story that the bits make. Some things naturally associate with one another; multiples of an item are punctuation marks or highlighters; many pieces have strong directionality (up/down/go this way). It's really a very rich way of reading and I do enjoy it, although I am in danger of frightening myself that it's not Tarot and how the hell can I possibly do it?? :D

\m/ Kat

faunabay

Oh good! Apollonia, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thinking in terms of more than one kit! :D

As for what I'll use to cast them on.....I'm waiting to get shamoness's spread cloth she's including in my package! :p I think that will help me decide as well.

Satori, you gave a bunch of good thoughts for me to decide how I want my kit to end up. I'm keeping all you said in the back of my mind and will use them to figure it out in the end! Thank you!

NorthernTigress

As I mentioned last week, I have a tray that I bought, that I think would be great for "throwing junk". I let a friend of mine borrow my digital camera, so I can't get a picture of it. So here is my really pitiful drawing of the how the tray is divided.

I have a few ideas of how I could do this, with the inner diamond being the "reading" area, and the outer triangles being "no man's land".

I could imagine the four triangles being Earth, Air, Fire and Water. Or Physical, Mental, Emotional and Spiritual. Or even Past, Present, Future, Unknown.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Attachments

• oracle tray.gif
    oracle tray.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 94

Elven

Im going to use the spread cloth from my Jellybean Oracle - I have 2, one has a card placement in the corners ...
and I was gifted a throw cloth with one of the klits, so I might fabric mark it out when I think of a design for it :)

Attachments

• Elven_JellyBean_Oracle_Board_with_card_placements_by_D__Cook.jpg
    Elven_JellyBean_Oracle_Board_with_card_placements_by_D__Cook.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0254_Elvens_Jellybean_Oracle.jpg
    IMG_0254_Elvens_Jellybean_Oracle.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 110

Satori

Elven that is freaking beautiful! OMG I love it.

faunabay

Elven said:
Im going to use the spread cloth from my Jellybean Oracle - I have 2, one has a card placement in the corners ...
and I was gifted a throw cloth with one of the klits, so I might fabric mark it out when I think of a design for it :)
What the heck is a jellybean oracle and where can I get one?? :D I adore that idea!!! :D

Elven

faunabay said:
What the heck is a jellybean oracle and where can I get one?? :D I adore that idea!!! :D
I'll just say (so we dont go off topic) this was an Oracle Kit I made, with book - and you use Jelly beans - though I supply a set of glass jellybeans that go with the kit. I did find a reading I did with it though a few years ago ...
JB Oracle Reading
The book needs a bit of revision - but its a fun oracle :D

.... and satori - thankyou! :laugh: ;)
Back to normal programming :laugh:

Satori

NorthernTigress said:
As I mentioned last week, I have a tray that I bought, that I think would be great for "throwing junk". I let a friend of mine borrow my digital camera, so I can't get a picture of it. So here is my really pitiful drawing of the how the tray is divided.

I have a few ideas of how I could do this, with the inner diamond being the "reading" area, and the outer triangles being "no man's land".

I could imagine the four triangles being Earth, Air, Fire and Water. Or Physical, Mental, Emotional and Spiritual. Or even Past, Present, Future, Unknown.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Cool tray.
What about,

Above, Below, Within, Without
the head, the hands, the feet, the body
Fur Feather Fin Scale Skin

LOL, just a few!

Elven

... you might be able to fit a YES - N0 - MAYBE - MAYBE NOT ... on there as well Northern Tigress :D

lefthandedgoth

faunabay said:
With all the stuff I"m getting from everyone I'm starting to think I might be making TWO divination kits! LOL I'm getting so much stuff that putting it into one kit might be a bit much! And I haven't even received everyone's packages yet! :bugeyed:

Since I've never used anything like this for divination what do you all think? How much stuff is too big? :p

When you start doing readings, you will spawn more readers. If I'm not mistaken, that's how this thread got started, someone got a reading from me and said, dude. That's my kind of oracle! I have lost track of the number of people whom I have hooked on this type of system, but it's reaching triple digits. That is so cool that people can just do it immediately. I don't have to do anything other than expose them to it, there isn't any teacher-disciple thing. Since I'm not a person who likes minions, it's so fun to see that it just appeals and instantly takes off in that person's mind. They know right away what their things mean and how to read them.

So keep the bits you want to read with in your container (the Zen answer is that you will know what to use and what not to use), and put the other pieces aside to seed new oracles. I had a rule for a while that I couldn't buy stuff for my oracle. That is more a general guideline now, but if I do buy something for my oracle, I get a second one for the seed box.

I'm also working on a shrine/altar to honor the forces of chaos and generosity and a lot of the bits that are too big or too fragile to use in the bag will go on there. It has drawers in it to store the seed bits.

In terms of how many? I don't know. I estimate that my current oracle is around 300 pieces, maybe a few more. It sounds like a lot but when you say "come to me!!", things come. (This is also why I have the "no buying" guideline.)

Ande