Flotsam and Jetsam Divination Kits! Help create one for you and one for me!

kaleanna

I have been doing some practice throws but I dunno, I just can't seem to figure out what it reads, which is why I have been apprehensive about doing a reading for someone else. I will definately keep at it but not quite ready to read for someone else.

rhombchick

I've taken your advice and done a reading.
It's interesting that most of the items Cat* sent me ended up in her reading :D

rhombchick

kaleanna said:
I have been doing some practice throws but I dunno, I just can't seem to figure out what it reads, which is why I have been apprehensive about doing a reading for someone else. I will definately keep at it but not quite ready to read for someone else.

Just go "blah"
Start with the first thing that catches your eye and describe it.
This is a shell, it is from the sea, it used to be a home for a mollusc... blah blah blah
Then try and relate it back to the question.

It's hard to explain but amazingly simple to do. It gets easier as you're actually doing the reading. You don't have to read every object that falls, and you'll find relationships as you start doing the reading.
Just looking at the junk is daunting and it will stay daunting until you try to read it.
I've posted my question in the thread, why don't you try read about it?
I don't really mind what answer you come up with so just go for it!!
Go on.... :D

thorhammer

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't read everything that comes out. I've come to the conclusion that because "life is complicated", some of the bits that come out are extraneous to the question at hand, and a distraction at best. I am learning quickly which ones to ignore and which ones to read.

And RC's right - once you get started, you find it's heaps easier. It's like those Magic Eye posters and stuff you used to see in the 90's. There's a knack to it, but once you've got the trick of it, you're all go.

I haven't read in the readings thread because whenever I get there the last question is a bit vague, and as I've said, I've found that only specific questions "work" with this.

\m/ Kat

lefthandedgoth

Most of the time people just want to know "what's up?", so I have to do vague all the time.

I muse on it until the focal piece reveals itself. Usually it's the center of activity. Then the story unfolds around that.

There is much mediumship that comes into play. I wouldn't say I'm psychic, but my customers would say I am a medium, something I would not have said about myself before I started doing these kinds of readings. I think it brings it out in you.

Ted Andrews' book "animal-wise" is definitely a good one to have at hand if you wind up with a lot of creature bits. And you can google "dream interpretation <item>" while you're learning. I still do this for online readings if something screams "hey, there's something about me you don't know yet" and when I'm gifted a new piece that's unfamiliar.

I do read every piece, but I don't dump all 300 out on the mat. Just whatever comes up. If you are having to ignore pieces you probably have too many out. Alternately, those are pieces that mean nothing to you. Look them up and/or journal about them. If nothing ever comes to you, cull it and save it to seed someone else's oracle.

The first thing I do to kind of get into the swing of each reading is to list out the junk and its potential meanings in a column, noting reversals. Then I describe how it fell, what clusters are there, how any pieces interact with any others. By that time I usually know where to start and have a vague idea what the reading is about. Then I go into a little more detail about the pieces. Finally, I draw it all together and make any suggestions that seem appropriate. (I have a collection of standard speeches, LOL.)

As with the magic eye posters, you have to teach yourself to unfocus your normal vision and let the oracle's perspective reveal itself. That was a very good analogy! Each throw is a new picture made up of small, seemingly unrelated bits. You have to stop trying to see it and just let it come into focus on its own.

Mellaenn

lefthandedgoth said:
And you can google "dream interpretation <item>" while you're learning. I still do this for online readings if something screams "hey, there's something about me you don't know yet" and when I'm gifted a new piece that's unfamiliar.
Yes - this so reminds me of dream interpretation, with the literal word-pun meanings!

Like others have posted, I just read some pieces; I don't dump out the whole lot. With my eyes closed, I reach in and grab a bunch and try to toss about 5 - 10 out on the cloth. I don't have a reading cloth with specific meanings because sometimes the story unfolds in a spiral and other times, in quadrants; it varies.

After the toss, I study it and then as impressions start to come to me, I scribble them down quickly, like I do when I'm working on dreams. What do I associate with a gray pebble? Why is that golf tee lying on the dream-catcher? What is the relationship? At this point, I don't self-censor, I just let it flow. Then I try to put it together and write it out for my sitter here.

Can't wait to do this IRL - it will be so cool!

Aulruna

As of yesterday, I have received all my packages - and I have now a huge, heavy bag full of stuff. Not sure if I will weed it out eventually - right now I just want to keep it all in there.

As this would total up to about 70 items, I have done my first reading also by grabbing a handful and cast it out. But I want to try a choice-centered model too, or maybe a consecutive row of throws.

Endless possibilities...

Mi-Shell

Oh, Alruna, I am so glad, you got my parcel!
Can you use the butten oracle?
If not, feel free to pass it along....

NorthernTigress

There is still one more set of treasures out on the tide for me somewhere. However, I think my Oracle is telling me it wants to be used. Lately, every time I go to look at what I've been sent, something falls on the floor!

I have to go out for a while today, but later on, I'm going to do a thorough inspection of what I've got, all of them together. It'll be fun, and yes I'll take pictures.

Satori

I did a charity event last night and it was pretty packed. There was another reader there, but my line was so long that when I picked my head up after 2 hours to go off and hit the ladies room the next lady looked like she wanted to kill me!

I brought my kit with me and I have to tell you it was great fun. I named it the MoonBell Oracle. Aulruna sent a gorgeous golden crescent moon and Mi-Shell sent the simple little jingle bell with the great voice, and so I thought...Moon+Bell, MoonBell!

I let the people pull a handful of junk out of a beautiful green rainbow glass bowl. At first I had them hand it to me and I would spill it out, then I said just drop it. I gave up trying to use a spreadcloth, and after a while as I got tired I noticed that I just didn't have it any more for the MoonBell and relied on the Tarot.

I noticed that certain items had more to say than others, and I learned some things. The items that spoke to me were ones that I found visually interesting. Certain items repeated over and over. For instance, the pendulum that Kat sent seemed to be in almost every reading, as was the Feng Shui charm from Wendy. These two items sort of took turns showing up, but they also popped up together. In one reading when they were both absent I thought perhaps something must be wrong. Could the MoonBell be broken!

In one reading the Moon and Bell showed up and I loved that! Other items never made an appearance. I think there will now be a new effort at sorting the items and thinking about the meanings of each thing. I'm happy for things to sort of be free until they get spread out and I see the pattern, but several items seem to want to mean something specific for me. So. Sorting my kit is on the list for a future date.

Most of the sitters liked it. One lady, a very nice but intense woman who wanted to know what to do about her substance abuse problem, really took to the MoonBell part of her sitting. She was just intensely staring at the stuff on the mat that she had picked. She couldn't believe I was giving her so much information from a few pieces of stuff. That was fun.