Satori

Third Group:
The Little Drummer Girls
Milfoil-UK
Anam Cara-USA
Cat*-Germany
Rhombchick-AUS
Cardlady22-USA

Howdy Little Drummer Girls! Make your home here!

Swap ideas for your kits, post your definite No-No's and later when the kits have been mailed and adored, we'll do our reading circles.

You have one week to assemble your goods. The first person in your list gets her goodies first. I leave it up to you to make sure you trade addresses, but will check back to make sure no one gets left behind!!!

Feel free to pop into the other rooms and see what is going on in there. We are a family and we need to stay connected. Use the main thread for group discussion as well.

Have fun!

rhombchick

Yay! Hello everyone!

Little drummer gals eh?
LoL

Milfoil is first up. Can't wait to find out what kind of an oracle you're making.

I'm not sure mine has a theme yet.
Though I do love bright shiny things. Maybe the sparkly oracle, or shiny oracle.... or would that give me a head ache when I try to read....
Or maybe something along the lines of the fantood. Just a bunch of weird things with weird meanings....
Oh so many roads to go down..... :D

cardlady22

Our little group name has already given me happy tears. I always loved the story of the Little Drummer Boy and its song, Pa-Rum-Pum-Pum-Pum.

The only No-No I have is scents since I have allergies. I love tiny things made from just about anything! :grin:

Milfoil

A home of our own. ;)

Well, anything natural, carved, metal, bone, stone, you get the picture - thats great.

No-nos would be perfumed, fairy, angel, fluffy pink stuff. (the first person to send me a fluffy, sparkly pink, Barbie eraser pencil top will be on the receiving end of my Paddington hard stare) :eek:

Other than that, can't wait to see what turns up.

I'm sure I read somewhere that bags were being sent too, I wonder about this - do you all want to send a bag to the next person on the list or make/find your own bag/container for your oracle?

Cat*

Have drum, will travel. :)

Hello, everyone. Happy to be grouped with you!

I'll be dragging some stuff from the main thread over here, and I'll also mix and match the quotes from this, so please don't be confused. ;)

Generally, I believe that anything between 3-5 items per person is fine. A higher number of things doesn't necessarily make for a better oracle, after all. :)

I'll first quote from my post in the main thread:
Cat* said:
Now I'm thinking about the theme of my bag... At first, I was all for total randomness, but I'd actually prefer a natural materials theme (bones, stones, fossils, fur, leather, wood, wool, shells, teeth, seeds, maybe also glass and metal...). I also think I'd prefer smaller items, so the entire oracle could be held in two cupped hands (if barely). I don't require particular shapes or easily recognizable "symbols." Oh, and I would prefer NOT to get any Christian/angel things. I'm also not too keen on fairies but wouldn't mind them.
I'll add that I also have a hard time with many scents, especially artificial and/or strong ones. If in doubt, err on the side of caution or just ask me about the scent you're thinking of! :)

The phrase "blood and bones" keeps running through my head... I'm thinking of taboo stuff, of things that are both scary and fascinating, of death and transformation, of painful but necessary change, and of the creation of something new out of the destruction/remnants of something old. I tend to think of natural materials, but maybe something else feels like a good fit for that kind of energy, so let's say your items should fit at least one of these "themes."

Does this make sense to anyone but me? Am I being overcomplicated?

(I'll say that I'm also thinking of making a pop culture oracle with only plastic toys and such things, so if one of the items you're going to send me fits that theme rather than one of the others, feel free to throw it in.)

Milfoil said:
If each person sends their stuff in a bag to everyone else in their group, each person will have several bags which is a bit pointless. What about if the first person named in the group sends a nice bag to the next on the list and so on until the last on the list sends a bag to the first on the list?
I'm not too sure this would work. We wouldn't know beforehand what size the final bag needs to be. After all, "small" is a relative term for an oracle item... (I also posted this bit in the main thread.)

Milfoil said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that bags were being sent too, I wonder about this - do you all want to send a bag to the next person on the list or make/find your own bag/container for your oracle?
I'd prefer to make my own bag after I've got all the items. Otherwise it would be hard to determine both the size and final look of the bag, wouldn't it?

But I'd be happy to make a bag for one or two people from our group (four sounds unrealistic for the given time frame), so let me/us know if you'd like to get one.

rhombchick said:
I'm not sure mine has a theme yet.
Though I do love bright shiny things. Maybe the sparkly oracle, or shiny oracle.... or would that give me a head ache when I try to read....
Or maybe something along the lines of the fantood. Just a bunch of weird things with weird meanings....
Oh so many roads to go down..... :D
Weird things sounds good to me! I'll see if I can find at least one that's both weird and sparkly/shiny.

cardlady22 said:
The only No-No I have is scents since I have allergies. I love tiny things made from just about anything! :grin:
I'm thinking of including at least one item for you that I actually made myself. No idea what that's going to be, but I'm as curious as you to find out! ;)

Milfoil said:
Well, anything natural, carved, metal, bone, stone, you get the picture - thats great.
I hope that the new snow we just got melts in time so that I can go and find something for you in the park!

Milfoil said:
No-nos would be perfumed, fairy, angel, fluffy pink stuff. (the first person to send me a fluffy, sparkly pink, Barbie eraser pencil top will be on the receiving end of my Paddington hard stare) :eek:
Now I'm sooo tempted... }) ;) (I also now want to make a Trashy Oracle that consists of such things only... :D)

Milfoil in her PM to us said:
why don't we all swap addresses and send out our bits and pieces to oneanother at the same time, then the mail can do its thing and we won't all be waiting for ever for our turn?
I hope you don't mind me quoting your PM here, but I like the idea. Especially since we're one of the wildly international groups. What do the rest of you say? PMing my address to you now...

Cat*

Since we also have an Australian resident in our group, I'll shamelessly and gratefully copy this list of what we CAN'T send there.

Wendywu in the main thread said:
Ok - this is the list of stuff that can't be sent to Australia according to the Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service (minus the bits about fresh meat and food perishables which I assume none of us thought of sending)

• seeds including vegetable and flower seeds, unidentified seeds, birdseed and some commercially-packaged seeds
• gifts, ornaments and toys filled with seeds
• pine cones
• raw nuts
• grains and legumes including lentils, popping corn and cereal grains
• raw/green coffee beans
• all plant material including bulbs, whole plants, cuttings, roots, flowers and stems
• soil, including small souvenir or sentimental samples
• gifts, ornaments and toys filled with straw, plant matter, sand or soil
• dried fruit and vegetables containing seeds or fruit peel, citrus and apple peel) and fruit pieces
• remedies and medicines containing herbs, seeds, bark, fungi and dried plant material*
• dried flower arrangements and potpourri
• dried herbs or leaves
• handicrafts—including wreaths and Christmas decorations—containing seeds, raw nuts, corn, pine cones, grapevines, bark, moss, straw or other plant material
• wooden items with bark or signs of insects present
• all mammals, birds, birds’ eggs and nests, fish, snakes, turtles, lizards, scorpions, amphibians, crustaceans and insects
• souvenirs, artefacts and goods made of animal products such as raw hide, feathers, teeth, bones, wool and animal hair

Milfoil

I'm also not bothered about getting a bag, I have lots and don't really need any more. :) Just the oracle bits is enough for me.

I've found two this morning . . . . ;)

rhombchick

Thanks for copying the no-no's list Cat.
Not that I particularily want any, but seeds are ok if they're an accepted plant in one of those foil bags (the ones that have been factory sealed) if that makes sense. I know because my sister sent me some seeds once from hungary and she included a horseradish root. Customs opened it, confiscated the horseradish but allowed the packaged seeds. She also sends me teas every month, all of which get opened, inspected and passed on to me...
So biological matter is ok, if it's been chemically treated.... like something that's packaged, not stuff off the street or garden path.
Bearing this in mind, I guess a natural oracle is out of the question for me.

I think I will go for the really odd fantood type oracle. Anything completely weird and out of place. Too bad you can't send me random teeth and stuff!!

I will PM my address soon, and I still need to catch up on the main thread.

Sending them all out at the same time sounds great.
Are we going to keep it a secret, or post what we are sending?
I love surprises but I don't want to end up with three 'limbs'...??

rhombchick

P.S. the great thing about customs inspections is that they don't really care what goes out of the country, so I might be able to get away with sending some interesting bits and bobs....
Kangaroo claw anyone??

Satori

Hi folks,

I think you might have misread my intent. I meant that you choose a bag from your stash, put a few things in it to "seed" it and then as the items come in you add to your bag. So the bags shouldn't be sent out....but just wait patiently at home for your to fill! ;)

Have fun!!!

And as for the drums, I meant fun drums, tribal drums, tambourines and percussions and keeping the beats to the battering of the waves, the howling of the winds and the drumming of ocean storms on your window pane. Cardlady, I'm so happy you loved the name!