For those with depresion/anxiety, what helped you out?

newlillith

I'm studying to be a therapist and can tell you that all the research says medication and therapy used together give the best results.

If you go to SAMHSA.gov, on the right side you can find mental health treatment online or call a 24 hour referral line (if you're in the U.S.).

I have also struggled with depression my entire life and have found two things:

1) It is necessary to remind myself this is temporary. A deeply depressed mood is usually temporary. If you are looking for solutions that shows you're out of the worst of it. That is GOOD.

2) Some depressed people (including me) are vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D may contribute to depression. So I make a conscious effort to do something outside for 10 minutes a day (at least, even if it's cold). Take a walk or just sit on the porch. Even if it's cloudy you'll get some vitamin D from the sun.

A lot of the other suggestions are great, do what works for you. A past therapist suggested making plans ahead of time to go out and then just forcing yourself to do it, no matter how much you don't want to. Slowly, slowly you'll crawl out. Best of luck.

JONIKA

Definitely meds. Without them, it's only a struggle to get better. And basically, let's face it: if you force yourself do something creative and joyful, you may feel good for about 30 minutes and then, you are back in that black hole of sadness and anxiety.

Other things that helped me greatly were:

1. lots of uninterrupted sleep

2. YOGA - I can't stress this one too much. Yoga is a great tool to help with depression/anxiety. Breathing exercises and slow focused movements make a difference...

lillith said:
2) Some depressed people (including me) are vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D may contribute to depression. So I make a conscious effort to do something outside for 10 minutes a day (at least, even if it's cold). Take a walk or just sit on the porch. Even if it's cloudy you'll get some vitamin D from the sun.
Vitamin D3 , at least 5000 units per capsule

newlillith

I agree that at first when you are forcing yourself to do things you often go right back to feeling crappy, but it is a proven technique that works over time. Check with your doctor before starting on Vitamin D tablets as too much can be toxic. The best and easiest (and free) way to get vitamin d is to be outside. I've done the tablets and they just didn't do as much.

VGimlet

For people who suffer from long-term depression I think the best thing is talking to your doctor and getting meds, and therapy.

I cannot stress how important it is to get help. Probably 80 % of my family and DH's family suffer from depression, and a few from anxiety as well. Treated with the same meds, usually.

When I was teetering on the edge of a serious depression, what helped me a lot was;

Music. Listening to music that is specific to putting one's personal frame of mind in a good place. (My list includes Godsmack and Disturbed, and Fleet Foxes :p) I find even if I'm not actively listening, it helps kind of reset my thoughts. Making the playlists gives me something fun and constructive to do, too.

Going to places that make you feel good. For me, that's bottom of my field, and also this little park nearby, where there is a stream, and all kinds of wildlife. Even on a rainy grey day like today those places can cheer me.

I agree with JONIKA - getting sufficient sleep - but not OVERsleeping, which is also a sign of depression.

Find things that DO cut through and make you happy. Your things may vary from anyone elses things, or places, but you probably already know where and what they are.

But in reality, when you are in a deep bad place, the real help will always include talking to someone, and medication.

My personal depression was caused by a specific event, but it got to the point where I was considering seeking help. I was able to pull myself out on my own, but I would have definately gotten help if it had gone on much longer. Living in that bad place is NO FUN, especially when help is out there. I am only saying this because my experience was a little different from folks who have other types of chronic severe depression. It is not neccessarily connected to a specific event, and needs to be treated, for sure.

Some of our family (including my DH my sister and brother, and many more) will be on medication for the majority of their lives, because our family depressions are hereditary and chronic. And taking a pill a day sure beats living in that awful place. Some will only be on for 6-12 months at a time. What works for you may vary.

What is good is that there are a LOT of things you can do to get help now. It is fixable.

CelestialHorse

I don't get very depressed but in the few instances I experinced this, like when I was going through severe complications due to a second kidney transplant, I found the following helpful:

a) going back to playing the piano by getting a very flexible and nice teacher who made it easy for me through encouragement - I used to play the piano but I stopped, so since I didn't have anything to do, I opted to resume studying. I found myself getting up early to practice and play pieces I enjoyed and choose challenging ones.

b) Study tarot - i would buy different decks, study them, do self readings endlessly and journalize them - I notice it made me feel much better

c) eat bananas - surprisingly, a friend recommended this eith her joke that bananas are good which is why monkeys never get depressed

d) take lots of cold water - this one does change my disposition and my energy - makes me more alive and alert and I don't know wjy

e) watch some dvds I enjoy over and over - those that give me a high, not the ones that may you cry - from horror to comedy and sci fi.

f) although I am transplant, when I go out, I wear a mask - and then I go malling - going around, snooping and sniffing for things I dream I would buy when I get better, and then stop by a coffee shop like Starbucks or Coffee Bean, relax enjoy a small piece of cake and nice brewed coffee and watch the world go by

g) take off with my partner and just drive to provinces to take mice pictures of sceneries, people, churches and whatever.

I guess I am lucky because I have a partner that enjoys these things and also does these things when she gets depressed...

h) worse case, I take a bath and while doing so, I imagine that the water cleanses me of all the negative energies causing me to be depressed and then, even if it is difficult, I repeatedly say to myself like a mantra - this will br a great day for me today and I will do wonderful things... it does work.

I found out that for prevention, I set a goal a day, no matter how simple so that I have a direction or sense of accomplishment for the day... I learned it from watching a video of Steve Jobs when he was coping with his cancer. The goals are just small - one page study of a Beethoven piece, download three pieces of music I would enjoy listening to, go to the mall and look for bags, and so on.
Great lots of tips! heh I will try to eat more banas especially and drink more water. I will admit i am not good drinking water much as I should :p Mm baths :D I heard sea salts are good? I should defnitely try to learn something new which would be fun eh? :)

CelestialHorse

Yes. It is incredibly difficult to do but possible. Literally changing one's mind to a different mindset which then affects deeper levels of who we are, which in turn affects what we do and say, which in turn affects how we think, which in turn affects the subconscious, and in turn affects what we do and say . . . .. you get the picture.

Sometimes it's easy to confuse a positive attitude with pretending to be happy, the two are distinctly different. The former is a belief in and determination to be positive whilst understanding that not everything is perfect while the latter is a lie.

I can't help but post this article here, it is so true and makes some good distinctions between thinking and doing.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

It is a harsh viewpoint but it is SO truthful and that is what counts. To quote:

From a Spiritual point of view (to keep this thread here in Spirituality), what do you believe? Sometimes writing it down and looking at what you actually do to make your life what it is can be a start. Then choose something, anything and either change it or enhance it.

Medication - yes but Meditation - YES!

Thanks for thel ink and yes I need tod o both. I am on a new medication just have to wait another week for it to start kicking in :) This will be the 4th medication I have tried haha...but i am on a new anti anxiety medication, it's on a low dose so I don't notice a TOTALLY diff change but it's more like scrapping a little bit of ice off the edge if that makes sense.

I Love that link and will definitely read it. It does get you off your butt which is good :D Now it would be nice if people that think you need them doesn't get that they want you to leave you alone -.- Yeah I have social workers that won't piss off but eh whatever. I'm just stubborn and just have more faith in me than they do with me. Or they think disabled people( I have trouble hearing and seeing) are stupid and incapable.

CelestialHorse

tarot has actually really helped me! before I got back into it, I was really bad at hobbies and interests and doing things which weren't the internet or watching tv. I wasn't doing "constructive" things or reading. Finding a hobby that I can put effort in and study and learn more about has helped. I couldn't do a study course or anything because anxiety / depression had affected me and found it too overwhelming!

in a year I have put some work into tarot everyday and my skills and knowledge have improved! there is visual success about that! Pick something you love and study it or get better at it! lots of people find gardening or being with nature very good in this area. If you are growing vegetables for example, there is also an element of success if it goes well! if it doesn't you learn what how you went wrong and try to improve on that. walking in nature really helps me! I love being outdoors!

I have real trouble with setting goals and really need to work on that more! I had a psychological treatment and they suggested SMART goal setting, think of a goal and make sure its Specific, Meaningful, (Measurable is also used for the M). Attainable, Relevant, and Timely (I will do this within a week for example). Some days I just try and do one thing in a day. Like wash up in the kitchen. At least that day I have done one thing!

Be kind and gentle to yourself! I am very positive and supportive to friends but then really negative about myself! I beat myself up a lot and when something goes wrong it starts a whole cycle of feeling I have failed. Try little steps, instead of massive things!

Last thing is because I am negative about myself, I record things in my brain negatively a lot! oh that was a bad day, oh that went badly. Start a list and at the end of each day write 3 good things that happened or you did that day! You start to realise it's not all bad!

Being mindful and living in the moment is supposed to really help. When you are anxious you worry about the past and future constantly and forget about now! that's an area I am still working on :) Finally remember there is so many people in the world in the same situation as you! Also situations in life, get better and they get worse. I suffered for years and gradually was becoming more and more functional and then in 2011 it all got worse. However things get better from when they get worse! lots of people have really terrible parts of their life, just hang in there through the bad times! :heart:

Thanks :D Yeah negativity is a you know what >.> grr. I should do tarot more and what not. It is fun to learn new things i guess i just get too wrapped up into the bad crap :/ Sure volunteering at SPCA is good but I need more things to do. Im also glad I am working but i hope to get more hours soon, I need a good distraction.

CelestialHorse

Heh yeah I do love yoga. I am seeing a new therapist which is nice. Until the holidays calm down I do look forward to seeing her again. I just met her once but she seems very nice. I will admit counselors in the past 'cept for the one before the new one just wasn't great they were the kind of therapist that just LISTENS and nod their head and THAT annoys me lol. I need feedback and advice. If I wanted a therapist to nod their head and ilsten I am better off saving my money and venting in my journal. XD

JONIKA

Heh yeah I do love yoga. I am seeing a new therapist which is nice. Until the holidays calm down I do look forward to seeing her again. I just met her once but she seems very nice. I will admit counselors in the past 'cept for the one before the new one just wasn't great they were the kind of therapist that just LISTENS and nod their head and THAT annoys me lol. I need feedback and advice. If I wanted a therapist to nod their head and ilsten I am better off saving my money and venting in my journal. XD

It's some kind of a new approach to therapy - instead of them giving you feedback and advice, they want you to talk continuously so you would realize what's going on by yourself...it's really annoying

haleyw

Just seen this thread. So sorry to hear that you are going through this. I've been there too and it's horrendous.

I've suffered with depression on and off for many years and the anxiety was ridiculous. I would lay awake night after night worrying about things that never ever happened. I would be so paranoid and low I thought EVERYBODY hated me. Even my friends and relatives who I am very close to and could not live without. I couldn't walk down the street or get on a bus at one point because I thought strangers were looking at me and talking about me. I had counselling but that didn't really help me and I refused medication back then, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it, if need be now.

Getting back to the thread though, I've just realised from reading this thread that since I started exploring Tarot and all things spiritual I seem to be able to deal with things better. It's a way of exploring things, when you are looking for answers and it makes you remember that everything is going to be ok. I've relaxed, so, so much about life, because of it.

I really hope you are feeling better very soon! :heart: