For those with depresion/anxiety, what helped you out?

Bhavana

I have had my bouts with depression. I never did well with the medications and gave up on doctors a long time ago. I guess as you get older, you just deal with it. No one is happy all the time, and some of us are happy much less of the time....but when things get really bad, I just figure I don't have to live with it forever, life is short, time flies, I'll be old and dead soon enough, might as well just hang in there and enjoy what I can, muddle through what I can't.

I do have a few things that help me, though - one is yoga. It definitely takes the edge off of life. Another thing, and this might sound hokey, is to get out there and do something for others...for those less fortunate than yourself. Call your local animal shelter and see if they have a volunteer dog walking program, or better yet, join an animal therapy group and take pets in to see seniors at nursing homes. If you don't like animals, do some other volunteer work in nursing homes or for disadvantaged children. Sometimes you may feel so bad you'll have to drag yourself to such activities, but once you get there, it really is helpful to reach out to others and try to make their days a little brighter. There are a lot of lonely people in places like this, and just a little conversation and attention brightens up their day, and you will feel good doing it!!

Another thing is to try something creative, even if you are not a creative person. Photography, art of any kind - those sorts of things. Especially outdoors, someplace beautiful. But, try to do these things with others, not alone. Sitting on a beautiful beach all by yourself can be depressing too.

Now, if you have a chemical imbalance, then it must be treated and there is no substitute for that, but even during treatment, one can still take control over their life and sometimes just doing something to take the focus off of ourselves makes a big difference. When it comes to therapy, it never helped me to sit and talk with someone about how bad I felt. To me, that was not much different than just lying around the house and wallowing in my misery, feeling sorry for myself. What helped me, as hard as it was to get going, was to get busy.

Aeric

I suffer from low self-esteem that leads to depression, and I eat to cope. To combat both, I started going to the gym regularly so that I de-stress and burn calories, and developed better eating habits so that if I do eat poorly, I force myself to exercise to help counteract the effects.

I actually started reading Tarot again for guidance and to help organize chaotic, jumbled thoughts that were leading to lack of confidence, direction and focus. That's why I'm back on here after seven years. I hadn't expected to return to Tarot, but I dug the decks out of the closet on a whim and have been able to focus more acutely and apply my mind because of the patterns and guidance in spreads.

Lee Bursten's Gay Tarot has really pulled me out of a rut.

Annabelle

I have been dealing with depression and other mental issues for a long time. What has helped?

- Years of therapy (I saw a psychologist as well as a psychiatrist)

- Losing a LOT of weight

- Being much more active

- Taking a fairly high dosage of anti-depressants (I have been on them for years with great success)

- Learning to meditate and relax

- Getting a better job with a better boss

- Becoming more mature and more skilled at dealing with life and its many surprises

But the real key for me was the anti-depressants. None of the rest of what I've accomplished (losing weight, changing jobs, etc. etc.) would have happened without that. I love my meds . . . and I am very open about that. I. LOVE. MY. MEDS.

CelestialHorse

some such great posts with advice! saving all the great tips or myself :)

St John's Wort does help some people, it's like a natural ssri! however becareful if you are taking it with anti depressants, anti anxiety or birth control pills. It's not good with them. Becareful also if you buy herbal teas for calming and take other drugs. Quite often they contain St John's Wort. St John's Wort has tested to be the same effectiveness as other anti depressants interestingly with less side effects or withdrawal problems!

Bach's Rescue Remedy seems to work so well for some people and other's completely fails! its worth giving it a try! there is homeopathic and other remedies for calming and that emergency calming down dose!

In the UK they sell Kalm's which is basically a herbal sedative. That seems to work or completely not work for different people too. It does make you very drowsy and takes at least 3 weeks of taking to work. Kalms herbal ingredients are Valerian (sedative), Gentian (muscle relaxant), and Hops (sedative). It's not addictive but you shouldn't take it constantly, just short term.

Like seeing a Doctor, if you are seeing a counsellor, therapist or psychiatrist, you might have a good or bad experience. you don't know! I know lots of people here and me have had a bad experience with one or more people, but I have had good experiences too! If you are seeing a new professional and had issues before don't let it prejudice them before even giving them a chance. Unfortunately with trust and personal things you won't make a connection with everyone or they are just rubbish at it! like tarot readers, you won't make a connection or like every reader! but this doesn't mean they are all bad! some are, some are good! I had counsellor who was a wonderful man years ago. He kept checking every 6 weeks if our relationship was going okay and if I wanted another therapist. I didn't! however when I had my terrible treatment experience I was never offered alternatives or had our "relationship" evaluated lol!

the truth of it is that all of us are different people with different personalities! so you have to find the things that make you feel better! it's different for each person! when I had CBT we made a list of what makes you feel better. One of mine was a nice cup of tea or listening to music or phoning a friend. I have friends who have found the perfect medication and it improves their life so much! other people like me can't find anything medically that helps! You have to experiment and give everything a chance :)

I heard you can't take St John's wort if you are on medication. I am on Celexia (For Depression and I heard it may work for anxiety). I think Celexia helps keep my head above water but I still get my sad moods but eh part of it is just my thinking, part of it not me doing anything and who knows, I wonder if it is chemicals but I will say, on all medicines I took, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, the higher I go up, the worst I feel. Has anyone ever experienced that? :/ I went up on Paxil because I thought it would help me handle stress better with my alcoholic sister but nope it didn't. In the long run I felt like crap.

Looking up Bach's Rescue Remedy ! Is it safe for me to take even though I am on a medicine like Celexia? I know they warn you against trying other things :/

I know this is silly but I am scared to death to telling a therapist that I went to psychics and wasted tons of money because I will they will judge me but I guess losing all that money was traumtic to me(It was money that was won from social security income), and if I didn't spend it on psychics I'd still have a lot but it's a life lesson learned I guess. Course I need to work on guilt. I don't let it rule my everyday life, but back of my mind I wish sometimes if I didn't do it. Thanks! I do want to get a book on CBT :) I need to get into EFT some more.

Coming to the conclusion after a lot of repression and burying my head in the sand that I am in a big black hole. My life revolves around work and forcing myself to get up to work to pay the bills, and get patients telling me to cheer up because I am repressing all the thoughts that want to come out
- you are ugly and disgusting
- you are shit at your job
- no one here likes you, they only talk to you because its work and they have to and everytime they laugh or joke with eachother at work its just a stab in the back that you are not 'one of them'
- you go home and don't talk to anyone
- its pointless trying something because you will be shit at it
- you are in love with man that lives hundreds of miles away, thats how crap you are
- you can't go back to your family because you are so 'sorted' and 'independent' that they cant cope with the idea you are in fact falling apart
- you have so much to be proud of technically, so why are you so shit at everything...

and I try to keep doing 'something' but its all just to stop my brain from hearing the deep sadness that I have. I just bury it, pretend its not there, its just a passing feeling, its just me being stupid and insensitive as other people have bigger issues...

I have had feelings like this before and it took me a long time to get over them by myself, and Im wondering this time if I should tell my doctor. And I am reading all these posts with how I can get out of this hole and see the good side again. I want to change this, now I have accepted the fact I feel like it.
I'm so sorry :( I totally know how you feel. Sometimes I wish I could have friends out of the co workers but I have one but we don't hang out. We just chat, do our work, then I go home doing my own thing. Course it's my fault I am extremely shy but I think it's fear that keeps me aka social anxiety for asking to hang out. Plus I guess they are a lot younger than me like high school age, I'm way past college age :/ My work is a job, helps pay the bills but not what it wants, I feel ugly too but I bet you are way prettier than me :) Don't feel alone though!

(((Inanna)))

It is a rare human being who does not feel as you do at some point in their life. Other people, especially the well-meaning ones, will try and 'jolly' you out of it but like you said, it can feel that you are in a black hole where you suck in all that positivity but can't do anything with it.

Some years ago, I experienced feelings very much like you are having now. For me, it was triggered by the death of a grandparent and I sank into a deep depression. I began to believe that my friends didn't really like me, my family didn't really love me, that I was a disappointment to everyone etc. I did get over them eventually, thanks in part to very supportive family and friends who kept reassuring me. Also, one friend made a very telling comment to me - she remarked how much sadder and negative I became when I hung out with a particular person. I stopped seeing that person and gradually became more like myself again.

There can also be a hormonal component to these feelings so it might be worth checking that everything is as it should be in that department.

One thing that did help, was seeing a counsellor/therapist for a few sessions so I could express how I felt without the fear of offending/upsetting/letting people down. I tend to keep all negative feelings to myself so that often even close friends and family don't really know how I'm feeling. A therapist was a good way for me to let some of those pent-up feelings out.

I hope you find something which works for you. :heart:
It's interesting how some things trigger something, what is more weird is, what is REALLY triggering that feeling that just comes out of no where? Even if you don't hear a thought can you still get that horrible feeling? Glad therapist helped and I can see how some doesn't help people :(. I had a few just were meh and one that I really like. I haven't found mine yet. I tried going to one place but UGH the lady that does the scheduling can't do her dang job. My doc did recommend a lady but she doesn't take medicare :/ Meh I should give her a call eh? I did call another place a couple weeks ago but heard nothing..actually that was more than a couple weeks ago.. >.> (It's a pet peeve when when people don't call back lol)

((((inanna_tarot)))) See the doctor. NOW ! The best think I EVER did was go into hospital. I only had to do that once and it spelt the end of a lifelong series of major episodes.

I used to - now I use 5HTP. Mostly because I was given a load by someone who turned out allergic to it (- nothing MENTAL - he came out in a rash ! now HE is on St John's Wort.) I take it in the winter as I am liable to get SAD. The rest - I have been through the mill, the drugs and the hospitals - and one thing I will say is that the therapists (of all sorts) who actually gave me advice were the least useful. Because it is something you have to do for yourself. Doing what someone else thinks might be a good idea - may not be, for YOU.

If the therapists are being a PIA - try a good CBT workbook - the one in the Dummies series is REALLY good. They help you to see what YOU need to change to make yourself feel better; they also highlight (by your answers to their questions !) triggers that send you spiralling down again. And a book cannot advise - so you have to do it yourself.
I want to get that CBT book. I tend to be a little happier when it's warmer, but is it easy to tell if you have SAD when you already to have depression? That's what I wanna know.

CelestialHorse

There are three main (with lots of offshoots) areas of counselling and psychotherapy.

Freudian - where the therapist listens to then analyses what has been shared so as to give the client a different perspective.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) - where the therapist, after listening to the client, offers specific tasks which the client can do to break behavioural patterns and habits. It can be very useful but sometimes doesn't get to the root of the problem unless you have a really good therapist with multiple therapeutic modalities under their belt. Things like Anorexia and OCD can respond well to CBT.

Person Centred Counselling - where the client is encouraged to talk about everything and anything they want to relating to how they feel. The therapist listens and reflects back certain key aspects so that the client can hear what they say in a different way, thereby the client finds their own way of understanding what is going on and how to progress or change.

All have their place but the PCC is the most commonly used. It has been interesting to find that people on this thread have not always found it to be a complete healing in itself.

But with any of these, it is the person themselves who must acknowledge and initiate the healing. You can talk around it all you like but in the end, the hard work of change can only be done by oneself.
Never heard of PCC! Maybe that's the therapy I don't like, I like feedback so I dunno. You can do CBT on your own right? :) I am not sure what kind of therapy that I DID like with the one but I didn't like the therapists that just sat there shaking their head, listening and not giving much feedback. I rather write that in a journal then spending $$ on it. But I'm picky XD

Good advice. Get your vitamin D the natural way. The latest research on the vitamin D thing is that people aren't deficient like was the rage for awhile. As someone else said, too much can be toxic. Every time I turn around, though, there will be someone pushing vitamin D capsules and one of the counselors at my grand-daughter's school just prescribed it for her without any testing first! If you go the vitamin D route, be sure to spend ten minutes outside a day and get yourself tested before you take it orally.
I take 1,000 IU of vitamin D, is that enough? :/ Heh yeah ya know I think it's hard to say what would be too much depending on your weight/body size. I just read in the thread here to take 5,000. I'm small/slim (5'0) so I dunno what would be good. There have been a few times though the doc took my blood and found I was way below the vit D level that I should be at :/

Speaking of vitamins and such, my current shrink is having me try out something called Deplin as an adjunct to other meds...it's a "medical food" of high dose L-methylfolate which apparently some people with chronic depression have deficiency in/trouble absorbing. Apparently it's something you can test for, but so expensive to do so it makes more sense to just try out/see if it helps. Sadly my insurance doesn't cover so had to order from discount online pharmacy and thus just starting...don't know that it will do much (though he says some of his other patients responded quite well) and the price thing is an issue, but...another possible thing to be aware of i guess :0
Deplin eh? Can I buy that at a grocery store or have to get tested to see if I am low on it? Course like I said in other recent posts I have to be careful. i.e I can't take St Johns Wort but to think of it I doubt St.John's would work for the mild depression I have :/

Meditation,
Medication,
Yoga,
Sometimes doing a read helps,
Do things to boost your confidence, like an online IQ Test.
RPG video games work well to get your mind off reality.

I had a friend, (actually a chatty daily customer back when I worked service) who overcame his depression and drinking habits with RPGs. He was under house arrest and bored as hell. His wife had left him and his daughter who left for college stopped talking to him. After a previous incident (the same that lead to his house arrest) he was banned from buying alcohol.
TV was repetitive and was starting to make him sick. His daughter's old PlayStation was still attached. He had no idea what he was doing, so he played the game already in the system, Final Fantasy VII. It became his new addiction.
After sometime he became stuck in the game, not knowing what to do he called his daughter. For the first time since the family left him he was able to talk to her. The calls became a weekly event. They would talk about games, college, and life. He said they have never bonded like this before.
When I met him, he was in his late 50's and still heavily into gaming.

But be warned, sometimes you can loose touch with the real world if you do it too much.

Thought I'd share. Take care, depression sucks.
Neat thanks! :) Hm finding a new hobby is good, but money is tight so have to find free stuff of course meh, but maybe there are some things I can do for free to keep up my time or things I can get for cheap? :) I do need to go yoga more. I mostly do it for my back due to my scoliosis (Where the spine curves and it can be painful, the worst scoliosis curve would require surgery :(

CelestialHorse

Hey! I am a social work student in the mental health field, and have also been a patient, so I feel like I should throw in my informal 2¢.

You mentioned that your work schedule is erratic. That can definitely have an impact, because it's hard to get into a healthy routine when you can't plan ahead. Do you think there might be some ways to work around this? Creating a schedule for yourself of healthy, pleasant activities (edit: such as those suggested here!) - and doing them, even if they feel like shit - is probably one of the best DIY things a person can do for depression, and hopefully you can find a therapist who has a cognitive-behavioral orientation (which is much different from "talk therapy") and can work with you on doing this.

For example, you could schedule the hours when you aren't "on call" as best you can, e.g. you can promise yourself 15 minutes of yoga before you've eaten breakfast, or reading 15 pages of a book per night, or turning off the internet at 8 pm.

These sorts of changes are no substitute for medication and guidance from a (good) therapist/psychiatrist, but if you're in the US or Canada, I know it can be hard to find a decent one right away (or afford one).

Hope you're doing better!

I need to create a schedule too, I tend to do better on them :) I just don't know what keeps us from doing healthy things, I saw in my anxiety for dummies book, it said write down your excuses and what why, I said lack of motivation or lazy, or I wonder, will it really make me feel better? Will it change my life around? Course I think fear is the worst inner demon for me right now and probably for others too :(

CelestialHorse

Just wanted to give you lovely people here on AT an update.
After your advice and kindness I got to the doctor and made an appt - we talked about the way I feel and how in the cold light of day I know its silly to feel all these things, but when I am at home it overwhelms me and controls me. We talked medication, other alternative therapies and we even talked about time off work which I refused to do as I found work hard enough a hurdle - to then take time out and have to go back again, I would have found even worse.

So I had a few regular appts with my doctor to discuss how things were progressing and I have to admit things were not really moving despite using all my tricks and his advice. We thought possibly some medication to just help me swim rather than drown in emotions.

And then I, after a pretty horrendous 2 weeks at work severely banged my head against a cabinet, giving myself concussion, brain scans in case of bleeding (so I have a brain now, Ive seen it!) and having forced leave off work to recoup. And in that time something 'clicked' and changed. I stopped doing anything spiritual and just stopped, in silence and saw how stressing out and anxiety didnt make me any better at work or at home, and that its best just to let it go.

For the first 2 weeks after this, I felt weird, I guess I felt 'normal'. I didnt walk to walk praying to all the gods that I wasnt going to get told off about work the night before, or the work to come in the day ahead... I didnt feel worried about how I was going to manage another night at home or how to pretend to my parents everything is fine. I stopped applying for jobs in far off places to run away from this feeling.... the moment I stopped running away from feeling these things and actually sat with them, their power over me slowly melted away.

Took a near miss brain injury, but I am feeling much better now.

And now dipping my toe back into the Tarot world again. I do feel scared that by using tarot again and holding my soul up the mirror again I will feel those old feelings, but I just try to only work with Tarot when I feel in a positive, grounded mindset, and not try to use it as a comfort blanket - pulling cards until it says things are going to be ok. I have stopped looking at the cards for the future outcome of the day, but divine guidance to help my soul shine each day.

Glad you are trying to get advice but sorry to hear about hurting your head :( Heh it is pretty to cool to see xrays of things in a way isn't it? I never seen my brain but I've seen my heart (I had a heart murmur) and I had my spine x rayed or teeth (Sensitive teeth). Interesting eh? :)

Tarot can be pretty fun!

We just have to push ourselves sometimes to do things :( I hope your med works. It is scary though to figure out what will work for you. I was on Paxil for YEARS then I realized it wasn't working and it freaked me out a little bit because I was like I feel weird because I worry if I wll find something to work and I think I have :) I still have depressive states but eh like my mom and therapist said, medicine is only helping you a little bit. TO be honest though, I rather know I am healing myself rather than my meds TOTALLY controlling it all and making me a robot but then again, when you are in the lowest mood you wonder if the med is working :(

CelestialHorse

Awesome list I found online, but # 1 first and foremost us that you need to go to a doctor and phychiatrist or psychologist!!! Right away! Then this:

"21 Tips to Keep Your Shit Together When You’re Depressed.

A while ago, I penned a fairly angry response to something circulating on the internet – the 21 Habits of Happy People. It pissed me off beyond belief, that there was an inference that if you weren’t Happy, you simply weren’t doing the right things.

I’ve had depression for as long as I can remember. It’s manifested in different ways. I did therapy. I did prozac. I did more therapy. My baseline is melancholic. I’d just made peace with it when I moved, unintentionally, to a place that had markedly less sunshine in the winter. I got seasonal depression. I got that under control. Then I got really, really sick. Turns out it’s a permanent, painful genetic disorder. My last pain-free day was four years ago.

So, this Cult of Happy article just set me off. Just… anger. Rage. Depression is serious – debilitating, often dangerous, and it’s got an enormous stigma. It leaves people to fend for themselves.

It’s bad enough without people ramming Happy Tips at you through facebook. There is no miracle behaviour change that will flip that switch for you. I know, I’ve tried.

A friend of mine suggested that I write something from my point of view because, surprisingly, I manage to give an outwards impression of having my shit together. I was shocked to hear this. And I find this comical, but I see her point. I’m functioning. I’ve adapted. I’m surprisingly okay. I think the medical term is “resilient”.

So, here it is.

My 21 Tips on Keeping Your Shit Together During Depression

1) Know that you’re not alone. Know that we are a silent legion, who, every day face the solipsism and judgement of Happy People Who Think We Just Aren’t Trying. There are people who are depressed, people who have been depressed, and people who just haven’t been hit with it yet.

2) Understand that the Happy People are usually acting out of some genuine (albeit misguided) concern for you, that it’s coming from a good place, even if the advice feels like you’re being blamed for your disease. Telling you these things makes them feel better, even if it makes you feel like shit. (If they insist on keeping it up, see #12.)

3) Enlist the help of a professional. See your doctor. You need to talk about the ugly shit, and there are people paid to listen and help you find your way to the light at the end of the tunnel.

4) Understand that antidepressants will only do so much. They’re useful, they’ll level you out and give you the time you need to figure out your own path to getting well. They can be helpful. There are lots to choose from. They may not be for you, and even if they are, they take some time to kick in. Conversely, they may not be for you. Work with your doctor.

5) Pick up a paintbrush, a pencil, an activity you got joy from in the past and re-explore that. Or, sign up for the thing you always wanted to try. There is a long history and link between depression and creativity. It’s a bright light of this condition, so utilize it to your best advantage.

6) Eat nutritionally sound, regular small meals. If you’re having trouble eating, try to focus on what you’d like to eat. I went through a whole six week episode of tomatoes and cream cheese on a bagel twice a day. Not great, but it was something – helpful context, I’m a recovered anorexic. Conversely, if all you want to do is scarf down crap, try to off-ramp it by downing a V-8 and doing #9 for 15 minutes, and see how you feel. Chucking your blood sugar all over hell’s half acre is going to make you feel worse.

7) While you’re doing #3, get some bloodwork done. If you’re low on iron or vitamin D, or if your hormone levels are doing the Macarena… these can all contribute to zapping your energy or switching your mood to Bleak As Hell.

8) If you’re in bed and the “insomnia hamsters”, as I like to call them, are on the wheel of your head, watch Nightly Business News on PBS. This has the effect of Nyquil. Swap out your coffee for herbal tea. If you just cannot sleep, try the next tip….

9) Learn how to meditate. Start by focusing on your breathing. Not sleep, not thoughts. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Meditation is focusing on being present in your body, not careening around in your brain. It may not be as good as sleep but it will give you some rest and recharge you.

10) Face a window as often as you can – at work, at home. Look out into the world. Watch. Observe. Try to find something you find pretty or interesting to focus on. And, handily remember that one in five of those people out there feel the way you do.

11) Cry. Better out than in. Sometimes it’s not convenient or career-enhancing to cry, so find a private place as best you can and let the tears go. Carry Kleenex and face wipes and extra concealer if you wear makeup. You can always claim allergies.

12) Any “friend” who resolutely believes that your depression is because you’re lazy, because you’re not trying hard enough, who blames you for not bootstrapping out of it- that friend needs to be cut off. Polite (#2) is one thing, but there is a limit. You don’t have to explain, you can just not respond. You feel badly enough, you don’t need their “assistance”.

13) Limit your time with people who drain you. You know who they are. Often you don’t have a choice- but you can put the meter on. And, subsequently, be aware of what you’re asking of those close to you.

14) Everyone has shit they’ve got to deal with. What you have been saddled with is your shit. Recognize, just as you’re not alone, you’re also not unique. The grass may look greener, you may be jealous or envious of others who don’t have to deal with depression, but you likely do not know everything that’s going on with them.

15) Let go or be dragged. This is an old Buddhist saying. It’s a very useful way to frame aspects of depression. Betrayal, anger, fear… letting go is a process – often a painful and difficult process - but it’s ultimately going to show you the path out of this terrible place. Repeating the mantra can help when you’re feeling gripped by these feelings.

16) Wear clothes that make you feel confident. It takes as much time to put on nice clothes as it does to put on sweatpants. You will want to wear the sweatpants. Fight the urge. The whole “look good/feel better” campaign isn’t limited to cancer and chemotherapy. Or women.

17) Avoid fictional drama and tragedy like the plague. No Grey’s Anatomy, no to The Notebook, or anything that won a Pulitzer prize. You’ve got enough going on In Real Life. Comedy only. Or trashy stuff. Old episodes of WonderWoman? I’ve got the box set. Mindless drivel, like the latest CGI blockbuster. Or clever, funny books. David Sedaris. Jenny Lawson. Fiction exists to elicit emotion, and the emotion you need to express most right now is laughter.

18) Simple exercise, if you can. It can be something as simple as taking the stairs up a flight, or walking around the block. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, it doesn’t have to involve climbing a mountain or running a marathon. Baby steps.

19) Depression will lie to you. Depression will try to tell you what others are thinking. That you are unloved and unworthy, that others think little of you or don’t care – or even wish you harm. You are not a psychic. Keep repeating that. “I am not a psychic”. Repeat. The only way to know what another person is thinking is to up and ask them.

20) If you are well and truly losing this battle, reach out to someone. I’ve been the random friendly-but-not-close person who has fielded the occasional outreach. I like to think I’m not judgemental and generally resourceful, and others have thought the same, so they called and asked. You know someone like me. And they will help you.

21) Forgive yourself. I’m writing out all these tips, and I can’t always muster the strength to even stick my nose outside, or walk up the stairs, or eat my vegetables. Today, I got outside for ten minutes. I will try again tomorrow. And I will try again the day after that.

This list will not cure you. This list will not flip on the happy switch. God, I wish it were that easy. The theme here is to not to unknowingly sabotage yourself. All these little things? Like your blood sugar, or watching nonstop episodes of House, or endless Try Harder lectures from your Perpetually Perky sister?

They all make dealing with depression just a tiny bit harder than it needs to be. And it’s hard enough, all on its own.

"

Yeah depression sucks. I feel like sometimes I am on the one step "Okay I know I have depression, I need help, I want help, I got self help books but I'm not moving but I need to get going >.>

1.It is good to know you're not alone :) It does help a bit and I do wonder if there are people that act happy that have depression.

2.I wonder how really happy people do it, maybe they are chemically balanced or have a mask on? Or they are in the present, is it possible to stay in the present? Sure you can be in the present like I am now but when I go to sleep my mind will wander to something else.

3.I do need to see someone but need to do it harder to find someone, I haven't had any luck since I moved here but eh self help books are helping but like I said, I really need to get going and use the advice.

4.Yup I heard that about medication. It is hard though, how do you know if it really IS working or it's just "you"? I mean I still laugh and smile sometimes but I still get moments of depression *shrug* but I have noticed the higher dosage I go, the worst I feel. Maybe that's because of the mild depression?

5.I do miss drawing/painting and music videos :)

6.I have told this to a few people like family but when depressed I want to eat less but I am "fair" right now so I am eating normal so it's all good but I love the idea of small meals, I heard that on the Dr.Oz show :)

7.I do have a tendency to get low vit D :(

9.I do want to meditate more, I got one for chakras specifically :D It's over whelming though because there is SOOOO Much out there! :O Its like tarot cards so much for everyone.

12.I hate it when people give me advice sometimes but they don't seem to understand depression that I have or say things "Let it go" etc. It's like.......I don't know how and it's not that easy.

14.Yeah that makes sense, if people act like they're happy and loving life like on FB or twitter or whatever is probably wearing a mask or just don't want to air their dirty laundry right? I do feel jealous a little bit like they got everything I want. :/

15.How do I start to let go? I guess I am not sure where to start, heh I love my one tarot spread how to get up and get going, someone said the one card said to start baby steps because it is over whelming there is some things I want to do, but just have to figure out where to start.

17.I HATE drama, the news, etc that stuff. Don't like it so I'm good there.

21.Yeah I guess that depression is saying DO NOT FORGIVE YOURSELF. Interesting how depression lies to you and you're right with the above, I am not psychic, etc. Honestly I rather not know what others think of me.

Padma

if you take vitamin D for depression, the dose is 4,000 IU a day but you *MUST* take it with omega oils in order for it to be really effective. I have found this combination to be unbeatable for SAD and it also helps my depression during other times of the year. Also I find exercise to help immensely! Walk outdoors as often as you can - at least 3 miles and every day, if you can manage that. The earlier in the day the better. It helps to release a lot of stress and negative thought, and it sets your system in motion - burns calories, gives energy, and release all kinds of endorphin's that are mood-enhancing. Myself I use that time of day (walking, early) to ask a lot of questions to my higher self, and also to meditate and to give thanks. It raises my mood so much! I walk fast too, which really pumps my blood - feels great! And I try to notice as many nice things as I can - birds, plants, animals. Good luck!

Laura Borealis

Bhavana mentioned something I didn't see anyone else bring up - helping others who are less fortunate. I've had depression my whole life, but the first really serious low was when I was around 19-20. I was suicidal, on the verge of snuffing it, and even when I got past that I was in a very bad funk for several months. I got a job as a nurse aide (not as therapy - it was the only job I could find besides truck stop waitress). It was hard work, night shift, and it totally blew in many ways, but the fact that I was making a difference in the lives of many people helped me so much.

After that I found other similar work - a Meals-on-Wheels type program, a soup kitchen, that kind of thing. The work pulled me out of myself and my self-pity. I met a lot of people who were living with actual hardship and keeping a positive attitude. Like the old guy who was wracked with constant pain, couldn't walk, most days, and lived in a tiny, run-down trailer. If he couldn't make it to the door, he would receive his daily meal from me through the window, always with a smile and asking me how I was. There was the lady who gave me tomatoes and zucchini from her garden all summer long, because she didn't think she should get a hot meal for free. I was barely making ends meet so those vegetables were incredibly welcome. I didn't have time on my route to do much for anyone, but I'd take out trash, change light bulbs, that kind of thing. Sometimes I'd go back after work and do more to help people out. They had given me so much, it was the least I could do to give back.

I've tried St. John's Wort and... what was the one Gregory mentioned? and getting enough sun for Vitamin D, I've tried eating yellow veggies (that's what my mom's always telling me to do)... I've been to therapists (who talked mostly about themselves) and I've been on meds (Zoloft, Welbutrin, something else I can't remember). The Zoloft helped at the time, the veggies are no doubt good for me, the St. John's Wort and the counselors did squat. But getting off my ass and helping other people was amazing therapy. I recommend it.