For Writers: The Hero's Journey Spread

Blackash

I've looked through the archived writer's spreads and I really liked them, but I wanted to see if I could make something with a little more structure. It instantly occurred to me that the perfect place to start would with Joseph Cambell's Monomyth or Hero's Journey. This spread is in no way definite, and considering its purpose is meant to be very freeing. Just a good way of generating ideas for a story that follows the age old path of the Hero's Journey.

To save time and space, I won't spell out most of the steps of the actual journey as this site (and others) do a much better job:

http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/smc/journey/ref/summary.html

This is a rather rigid structure, but take whatever liberties you like in interpretation since the end goal is simply the fostering of creativity and new ideas.

It should look something like this:

*********1**********
******2*****16******
****3*********15****
***4************14**
****5*********13****
******6*****12******
*********7**********
***8**9*****10**11**

Note: cards 4 and 14 are turned sideways to symbolize the line between the conscious/real world and the subconscious/mystical world.

Note: cards 8-11 are all aspects/parts of card 7. They can be omitted if you feel they are unnecessary.

1. The Hero. The person who will take this journey.

2. The Call to Adventure.

3. The Mentor. (Usually referred to as supernatural aid, think Obi-wan Kenobi of Star Wars)

4. Crossing the First Threshold. The point where the hero actually crosses into the field of adventure, venturing into an unknown and dangerous realm...

5. Trials. What the hero must undergo in order to begin the transformation. Often the person fails one or more of these tests, which often occur in threes. (You can place more cards for more trials)

6. Allies. Those who will help the Hero on his/her journey.

7. The Innermost Cave. The lowest point of the journey. Can be considered to be occurring deep in the Hero's subconscious.

8. Pure Love. Usually called Meeting with the Goddess. It is also known as the "hieros gamos", or sacred marriage, the union of opposites, and may take place entirely within the person. Note: Unconditional love and /or self unification does not have to be represented by a woman.

9. Temptation. At one level, this step is about those temptations that may lead the hero to abandon or stray from his or her quest, which as with the the previous step does not necessarily have to be represented by a woman.

10. Atonement with the Father. The Hero must confront and be initiated by whatever holds the ultimate power in his or her life. For the transformation to take place, the person as he or she has been must be "killed" so that the new self can come into being.

11. Apotheosis. To apotheosize is to deify. When someone dies a physical death, or dies to the self to live in spirit, he or she moves. beyond the pairs of opposites to a state of divine knowledge, love, compassion and bliss...

12. Final Ordeal. The Hero puts his/her new knowledge and skills to the test.

13. Treasure. The Ultimate Boon. The achievement of the goal of the quest. It is what the person went on the journey to get.

14. Crossing the Return Threshold.

15. Growth. (Lesson Learned? - Not so sure about this step.)

16. The Outcome. Where the Hero is at the end of his/her journey, or perhaps the beginning of the next journey.

If you have any comments, suggestions on the spread feel free to let me know, and questions are welcome as well.

chrissydogz

i might use this spread if i ever need ispiration for my tarot story. thanks backlash!:)

Blackash

No problem. If you use it, please let me know how it works out. I'd like to know what else this spread might generate into the world.

I suspect this could work well for short stories or novel length stories as well. My attempt at it sounded like a short novel. Something like Alice in Wonderland, only with the Hero as the Page of Cups and darker overtones.

Interestingly, people have also applied the Hero's Journey as a guide of how to live one's own life, so I suppose the spread could be used for general insight into the self readings...I suppose some adjustments would need to be made for that to work though...