Gifting a Tarot Deck?

dreamlikediana

I really have been wanting to gift my friend a tarot deck for the upcoming gift giving season. Although I'm not really sure what to get since there are so many options out there.

Let me tell you a little about her, maybe you'll have an idea or two to share?

She's a green hedge witch. When I first met her it was in our work environment at Dave & Buster's. I've pretty much connected to her since the first time I saw her, she had the most gorgeous eyes I've ever saw, and could not stop staring. Our boss could really tell we connected in an instant.

I could never quite shake why she always felt like The Empress to me until I found out she's a witch, like myself. We don't really share it with other people, but she's very motherly. Yet somewhat of a dark person, dark past but she's so gentle, wise and kindhearted.

She always admires that I read tarot cards, and she's always there for me so I really want to gift her a beautiful tarot deck with a guidebook since she's going to be a beginner.

Any help is good help. I was thinking of the Shadowscapes Tarot, but I'm not positive.

feynrir

I think most anyone would appreciate the Shadowscapes for its art alone!

My added suggestions are the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative deck or the Green Witch Tarot. :)

schizandra

Perhaps the Chrysalis Tarot? It's a lovely, earthy deck with a definite pagan appeal.

EmpyreanKnight

For a beginner, nothing beats learning the standards first: either the Rider Waite Smith, the Thoth, or any Marseilles. All of them are available in kits that carry instructive companion books, or you may just buy one of these decks and choose one of the many books available for it.

If you want to focus on decks with a wiccan slant, I'd suggest the Green Witch Tarot (kit), the Silver Witchcraft Tarot (available as deck only, or with a kit), and the magisterial Book of Shadows Tarot Kit (contains the volume 1 As Above deck and a companion book) + Book of Shadows Volume 2 (contains the So Below Deck). As you can surmise, these have very informative companion books, so learning them won't be a chore. You can check out images of these decks to see which has art that might appeal to her.

I'm not really inclined towards wiccan/pagan/druidic/celtic decks, but if I were to choose, it would be the Druidcraft Tarot, which as a kit has a truly awesome book. And the images are nothing to scoff at either, though some are rather risque so it might not be her cup of tea. And the cards are rather large, so that might be an issue if your friend has small hands.

Padma

I bought my Silver Witchcraft deck as a kit...it's a lovely deck :)

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/silver-witchcraft-tarot/

For a first deck, though, I would also go RWS classic with the Pamela ColemanSmith Centennial.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/smith-waite/

There is a subforum here for books, I believe...But also, there is a Green Witch grimoire, which contains all kinds of things, including tarot card meanings and a few spreads.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/350881.Grimoire_for_the_Green_Witch

Tarot of Pagan Cats is nice, too...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pagan-cats/

Barleywine

I gave my daughter Tarot of Pagan Cats for her first deck a few years ago and recommend it as well. I also second the gorgeous Chrysalis, but it has some non-standard, multi-cultural images that go beyond the customary tarot paradigm. The Druid Craft is a good one, but the cards are quite large. If the goal is to present tarot in its "classic" early 20th century form, one of the RWS decks would probably be best to start.

Green Faerie

Can I add a question to this forum? I am gifting a deck to my spouse (not for Christmas, but for a birthday that is coming up), and I am wondering what people do in terms of cleansing and/or blessing a deck before they gift it? I have some ideas, but I would love people's thoughts on that as well, and maybe they will help the OP, too. :)

Serenia

Maybe the Crystal Visions Tarot would be an idea? It is RWS based, so it would be a good starting point for a beginner and could more or less be used with any RWS book, but the artwork might appeal more to her than a standard RWS.

If you prefer to give her a companion book specifically for the Crystal Visions deck, there is one available on the artist's website. (I have to admit it's not excessively meaty, but I like it none the less! :heart:)

dreamlikediana

Really appreciate all the replies! I'm about to do my research on everyone of them and then go from there. But thank you so much!