Golden Botticelli Study Group

Etoile

Hello everyone,

Since the Golden Botticelli deck seems to be one of those lovely, yet hard-to- interpret-intuitively decks, I would like to start a study group for it. I specifically have in mind studying the minors (pips) first, as they are the hardest to read (the majors are far easier to read, by comparison).

I know there aren't many of us with this deck, so it will be a "post as you can" study group. Anyone that would like to post a card, feel free to do so!

Hope you can join us,

Etoile

Ambrosia

Hi Etoile.

Im in!
I agree that we should study the minors first, and I look forward to discussing this deck.
I also think we should start a new thread for each card whenever the fancy takes us, to keep the ball rolling and so we don't have to wait for others to join in if we are ready to move on.

All the best :)

ETA~
In order to understand this deck better, it can be quite helpful to study the paintings each card is based on. However, with some cards it can be hard to find information about the character portrayed, as often the artist has used a secondary or supporting character from a painting.
It can also be difficult to discover which particular painting the image is taken from.
A lot of the images used in the deck though, are easy to find with a quick google search through Botticelli images.
Once you know the title of the painting it is easier to do some research about the painting.
Also I have found the court cards to be a problem as most of the queens are the same person, and facial expression is almost non existent and at least very similar throughout the deck.
Everyone looks like they are in the same mood to me lol, but hopefully we can persevere and find some insight into this deck that will help us in our intuitive reading.
This deck needs to be read intuitively I feel, as a lot of the images just dont match traditional meanings at all.
I also feel we may benefit from a numerological study in relation to this deck.

Ambrosia

So ive decided at this stage I will use the deck for all my readings and meditations etc, and when a card comes up I am having trouble with, I will post my thoughts about it.
Ive been using the deck since you suggested the study group, and funnily enough, so far so good. Last time I tried to work with it, it stumped me.

I still want to study the whole deck, but at this stage, to keep my interest, id like to concentrate on the images which i'm having trouble with.
Of course, if anyone adds a card i'm ok with, i'll be happy to add my two cents too.

Etoile

Ambrosia said:
Hi Etoile.

Im in!
I agree that we should study the minors first, and I look forward to discussing this deck.
I also think we should start a new thread for each card whenever the fancy takes us, to keep the ball rolling and so we don't have to wait for others to join in if we are ready to move on.

All the best :)

ETA~
In order to understand this deck better, it can be quite helpful to study the paintings each card is based on. However, with some cards it can be hard to find information about the character portrayed, as often the artist has used a secondary or supporting character from a painting.
It can also be difficult to discover which particular painting the image is taken from.
A lot of the images used in the deck though, are easy to find with a quick google search through Botticelli images.
Once you know the title of the painting it is easier to do some research about the painting.
Also I have found the court cards to be a problem as most of the queens are the same person, and facial expression is almost non existent and at least very similar throughout the deck.
Everyone looks like they are in the same mood to me lol, but hopefully we can persevere and find some insight into this deck that will help us in our intuitive reading.
This deck needs to be read intuitively I feel, as a lot of the images just dont match traditional meanings at all.
I also feel we may benefit from a numerological study in relation to this deck.

I couldn't agree with you more on the court cards. Trying to read that same lovely, yet melancholy and far-off gaze that a lot of the female images seem to have is very difficult. I believe I read somewhere (probably here!) that Botticelli used the same woman for many of his paintings, so no wonder I couldn't discern a difference between the queens. The only one who is slightly different is the Queen of Cups. When I started reading the forums and found that others were looking at the queens' expressions, etc I was completely stumped as to how that was going to work for this deck. Whew, we've got our work cut out for us. I also fervently wish there was a more in-depth book with this deck. It would have clued me in quite early to the fact that even though you might *think* this is a RW-clone, it certainly isn't!

I also wanted to state that I have changed the opening study group message to say that people should add new threads whenever they want (per your advice). That will keep things moving. Since I have lots of questions about this deck, I will probably be posting new threads quite often!