Hag stones

Sidhe-Ra

In relation to that also, I've not seen anyone else mention the traditional folkoric use of the hag stone...that is to look through the hole grants visions of Faery. That might be something for you to try in combination with other techniques.

I was lucky enough to be able to gather quite a few hag stones from the beaches where I used to live in Sussex, and indeed some do display quite unique characters! The most beautiful one I ever found insisted on being sent to a friend of mine...sigh. Lovely it was- pure white with tiny crystals inside the hole!

Milfoil

I did mention it in post 482 of the thread I linked to in my first post of this thead so didn't bother reiterating it. Yes it is what hagstones are most well known for I think. Some of the really big ones, where a person can climb through, are said to have special healing properties too.

I try not to journey first thing in a morning, my head is buzzing when I wake up and anything I get is usually pretty rubbish but this morning, hubby left early so I lay there and thought ok, lets do this.

What I saw was quite amazing (you couldn't make it up - sort of thing) but I was interupted so I need to pick it up later and try again. Forgive me for not sharing what I experienced but I am starting to see and understand some of the raw power behind this tiny bit of stone and need to get it in perspective.

Sophie

Sounds exciting, Millie!

One of the hag stones I found on Em's beach I keep for journeying - it works wonders :)

Sulis

I think I mentioned being able to see into the land of The Fey by looking through the hole - I've never experienced this though. Another bit of lore is that you can see the dead if you look through the hole - again, not something I've experienced.

I have a very large hag-stone on my magical working area (I hesitate to call it an altar but that's what some would call it), along with some smaller ones. I like to think that they represent the Divine Feminine because of the shape and the hole they have.
They are very powerful, more so for me than bought crystals but they've never made me feel tense or antsy Millie and I did wear at least one every day for around 10 years and always have one on my person in some way now; I have a small one in all my coat pockets. They just make me feel safe and protected.
I find them to be very warming if that makes any sense.
I've never journeyed with them but I usually use my obsidian sphere for that. I may just try with a large hag-stone though and see what happens. I'm not really one for sharing experiences like that, especially not on the net. I find these sort of things a little too personal :).

Sophie

Sulis said:
I'm not really one for sharing experiences like that, especially not on the net. I find these sort of things a little too personal :).
I'm with you there, and when it comes to shamanic or other forms of magical work, I have adopted the working practices of what I learnt with the ICRC: 'say what you do, not what you see and hear.' Sharing techniques and uses can be useful to fellow practioners - I certainly learn a lot from other people that way - for instance, Em gave me a few uses for hag stones that I've usefully integrated in my own practice. But when it comes to the content of the magical experience... well, as you say, it's personal.

Milfoil

Sulis said:
I think I mentioned being able to see into the land of The Fey by looking through the hole - I've never experienced this though. Another bit of lore is that you can see the dead if you look through the hole - again, not something I've experienced.

After this morning's experience, I am starting to seriously consider what is meant by 'looking' through the hole of the hag stone. I've also tried literally looking and have seen nothing but what is here in this reality. However, when I journey and look through the hole, then follow . . . . ;)

Sulis said:
I've never journeyed with them but I usually use my obsidian sphere for that. I may just try with a large hag-stone though and see what happens. I'm not really one for sharing experiences like that, especially not on the net. I find these sort of things a little too personal :).

Likewise, I have shared journeys in the past before I understood what I was seeing or experiencing because I needed help to interpret it. Now I prefer to keep most if not all of this very personal experience private. If it relates to someone else or was done for their assistance, that's different.

I also have other holey stones, collected over the years and none have ever felt like this one. They all feel light or easy.

Flaxen

Milfoil said:
After this morning's experience, I am starting to seriously consider what is meant by 'looking' through the hole of the hag stone. I've also tried literally looking and have seen nothing but what is here in this reality. However, when I journey and look through the hole, then follow . . . . ;)

It certainly is an interesting experience - glad you gave it a go :)

I don't tend to share personal visions/journeys etc either partly because I think it may well be different for other people anyway and I wouldn't want them to think they have to emulate my experience.

Milfoil

Flaxen said:
It certainly is an interesting experience - glad you gave it a go :)

I don't tend to share personal visions/journeys etc either partly because I think it may well be different for other people anyway and I wouldn't want them to think they have to emulate my experience.

Agreed, and it can be really distracting from one's true experiences to feel that somehow they don't 'match up to' someone elses.

There are times and places where sharing visionary experiences is appropriate, for example, in a circle with others where you are all journeying for the same subject etc.

greatdane

Hag stones in my garden

I just noticed two LARGE (one is at least 15 pounds, probably more) hag stones that someone used to build a long planter in my back yard. Now the house is from the 1800's and these stones look like they've been there awhile, but whether they were put there in the 1800's or after, no way to know for sure. But it's lovely to have them as part of the wall of this, probably seven foot, planter area toward the back of my little yard!

I plan on searching some creek beds around here at some point looking for more. Now that I have one on my mantle and two (at least) in my backyard, I want more :).

tarotbear

Could you tell us what page 'post 482' is on so we can see the picture? Thanks!