have deck, need advice

EARTHLING

i am using a rider-waite deck and have not read in 12 yrs... i read for about 3 yrs. then got into dowsing, pendulums and a few other rituals that i still enjoy.. what would be a simple sort of in depth book from someone RELIABLE on their use...

thanks

Gwydion Arawn Enki
EARTHLING

Grizabella

Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom would undoubtedly be a book you'd really appreciate. :)

rwcarter

EARTHLING,

Welcome to Aeclectic!

You want a simple yet in-depth book about the cards? That's something of an oxymoron, isn't it? :)

Anyway, do you remember the basic meanings of the cards or are you starting over from scratch? Most books that focus on meanings aren't really going to take you in-depth with the cards. (It would also help for you to clarify what you mean by "in-depth" cause that's a vague enough term that it could mean 5 different things to 5 different people.)

There is a Tarot Books & Media Forum Index, which is a starting point to finding info on books. Lots of books use the RWS deck for illustrations.

One thing you should remember about any book of definitions is that those are the author's definitions for the cards. Just because they're written in a book doesn't mean that they're written in stone. As I like to say, "keep what resonates and discard what doesn't."

If you have a general familiarity with the cards, I would suggest focusing on books that help you to determine what your cards mean to you:
  • 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card (Greer)
  • Tarot for Your Self (Greer)
  • The Complete Tarot Reader (Michelsen)
  • A New Handbook for the Apprentice Vol 1 (Connolly)
  • The Handbook for the Journeyman Vol II (Connolly)
  • The First Handbook for the Master (Connolly)

You even have a number of resources here at Aeclectic to help you. Post 4 in the Table of Contents - All About Reading sticky Note at the top of the Using Tarot Cards forum contains a number of link threads that contain info about different ways to learn the cards.

Hopefully some of the above will prove helpful to you. I hope you enjoy your time here at Aeclectic.

Rodney

EARTHLING

i am starting over from scratch.. i want a SORT OF IN DEPTH book... not something that has a lot of excess gab in it... just straight reading...

the basics i am learning again but it is coming back slowly...

rwcarter

Since you're starting over, I think any of the books I already mentioned will help you to develop your own meanings instead of being stuck with someone else's meanings. And since you're using the Rider Waite, the Rider-Waite-Smith forum contains a ton of information on the deck. And for a book of meanings for the deck, you can always go back to the source - The (Pictorial) Key to the Tarot by A.E. Waite.

Rodney

EARTHLING

dam.... i was at half priced books the other day and ALMOST bought that one... going back tomorrow and getting it....

thanks