Have you ever used tarot cards for spells/magic(k)?

Have you used tarot for spells/magic(k)/rituals?

• Yes- for spells

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Yes- for magic(k)

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Yes- for rituals

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Yes- several/all of the above

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • No- not interested at all

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • No- but I might be interested in future

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters

Darkmage

'Let Me Google It For You' has been around for ages. It's useful. ;)

Yup, questions like that mean your google-fu needs work, grasshopper. ;) Look around--I've heard people use playing cards for magic, too, and it's not much of a leap from that to Tarot.

I got this in just the other day and may try some of these in the coming days with a few playing card decks past their prime. http://www.amazon.com/Deck-Spells-Playing-Rootwork-Conjure/dp/097196128X

Morwenna

Ooo! Why past their prime? Does the book recommend chopping them up??

If not, sounds good. I have a lot of NEW decks! :D

Back OT, I've been thinking lately about using more for quarters and such than just the Aces. There are some decks that use specific attributes for the Courts regarding elements and such. Certain rituals might benefit from that kind of specialization.

Darkmage

It does, unfortunately. It even has a chapter called 'Bend, Fold, and Mutilate.' Some call for the cards to be burnt(!), written on, cut, etc. The reason I say the cards are past their prime is that they've got a permanent bend in them and the faces are beginning to wear away. TBH I got them as a set--they had one of those lovely plastic canvas playing card boxes with two old decks inside at one of the local antique stores for $10. It'd cost me at least $20 to actually make the box, so I got it. If I use the old beaten up playing cards in there, Lord knows I've got plenty of 'standard' decks that would fit in it just fine.

As for the original subject, don't forget the RWS and Thoth both come from a GD framework. My magic deck is the Radiant RWS. It just felt right. *shrug* So even though it's a mass-market one, I don't use it for reading for anyone but myself and no one else is allowed to touch it.

Tanga

I haven't read that particular book but spinning around until you get dizzy is a pretty standard way to charge sigils in Zos Kia (A.O. Spare's chaos magick).

:) Yes.
And it's not my thing.

I've got moving fluffy creatures though that love to get mixed up with one's feet which I wouldn't want to step on. :joke:...To be perfectly honest, the most fun way to charge sigils is with orgasms.

Me too for fluffy creatures. And ah - orgasms are not my thing either here. ;).

...Take using cards, I'm experimenting with sorting cards which epitomize the desired outcome into a pile...then sorting through those, to find the best of the bunch, then stacking them- gradually reducing to just one or two absolutely essential ones directly under the one. The process itself gives it strength.

I also think this is why doing someone elses spell/magick/routine/words never works as well as concocting a bespoke one for yourself?

Plus work done with tarot really starts with the best choice of deck for the job...

I like that sorting idea... hmm. Thank you.
And yes - bespoke is best. (says the Queen of bespoke :joke: ).
And I have several magickal decks now, that are not used for anything else.
@Darkmage - nothing wrong with using the RWS. Again - it's the correspondences that best suit you as an individual that are the coolest. :)

It depends on your style. Tyson and Kraig are very much Western ceremonial magicians. Renee leans more toward Wicca. Haven't read James' book but I've heard good squeaky noises about it.

Ahh - must get Renee then... (I have Tyson - which I love).

...I've been thinking lately about using more for quarters and such than just the Aces. There are some decks that use specific attributes for the Courts regarding elements and such. Certain rituals might benefit from that kind of specialization.

I don't always use Aces. Depends on what "fits" for the spell, and from the deck I've chosen.

Sar

Nobody knows about some simple folk magi trick with cards?

La'al quiet fella

Tarot and magic

Tarot and magic by Donald Michael Kraig might be of interest to anyone wanting to use tarot for spells and magic?
978-0-7387-1

G6

Janina Renee's Tarot Spells

I found Janina Renee's Tarot Spells, illustrated with the Robin Wood Tarot, at the used bookstore for $5, so I guess it was meant to be. I'll let you know more as I do. At first glance, it seems like a lot of useful topics/situations that spell work may help resolve.

Kat Moon

Not Yet but Interested

I have never thought to use the cards in my spells. That sounds like a great idea. Any tips for someone just starting to use this kind of magic?