Help me interpret this dream?

Mimers

I am hoping that someone could give me some feedback on this dream.

I usually don't pay much attention to my dreams and actually rarely remember them. I had a dream a few weeks ago that I woke up remembering vividly. Also, when I do remember dreams I usually don't dream in color. This dream was in vivid color.

Some of messages are very apparent to me, but a lot of it has left me puzzled. I would appreciate some insight.

There were two other people in my dream that are very important to me. One was my 9 yr old daughter, Rachael. The other was my friend Ray. I have known Ray for 4 yrs now, and we are good friends. The problem is he lives in Chicago and I live in NY. We manage to meet usually a few times a yr due to business trips. The first time I met Ray I knew there were ties. You know, you look at someone and feel like you have known them your whole life. I have feelings of unfullfilled love toward Ray, that leave me very sad at times when I ponder what it would be like if we didn't live so far apart. He has asked me to move to Chicago, but I have 2 children and I would never dream of separating them from their father and family.

Ok, here is the dream. I am in my home town standing in the middle of a main road with Rachael facing north. From the east, bright orange lava is slowly flowing towards us and I know we are in danger. People are fleeing all around us, but Rachael and I are calm. I see the lava flow over the river (I live right along the east side of the Hudson River) and I cry as I see my beloved river evaporate from the heat.

Ray is standing to my left and tells me to get in the car. I see an orange VW Beatle. It is the color of orange sherbert. He tells me that only 2 people can get in the car. I know it will be Rachael and I. Ray tells me that the car won't protect us unless I have the "helmet". I know that this helmet is at my Mother's house (south of me). I leave Rachael with Ray and run to my Mom's. I run back with the helmet. The helmet is an oversized football helmet the same color as the car. I hold it close to me, but don't put it on.

When I get back, the lava is almost to the car. Ray is standing in it knee deep, but doesn't appear in any pain. I shove Rachael in the car and follow her in. We sit in the back. I have the helmet on my lap and my arm around Rachael. The lava is now orange and black. We gently float away in the car to the west. Ray waves good bye as we drift away.

Well its obviously about the choice I made not moving to Chicago. I also see the message that I need to let go of Ray. What about the lava. How in my dream I am so concious of the directions (I am facing North, the lava coming from the east, the helmet at my mom's in the south and the car drifting west.) What about the helmet. And all the orange?

Look forward to some insight.

Thanks,
Mimi

zorya

lots of interesting symbols in this one! i'm not going to try to interpret the dream (at this time, maybe later) but thought maybe i could help a little with some of the symbols.

orange is the color of the 2nd chakra. it represents unity with others, creativity, strength, calmness during stress. when blocked, we can feel isolated, or wanting to be alone. with your lava flow, i wonder if this represented your second chakra opening and the energy flowing.

lava intrigues me because it is fire and flows like water. fire representing beginning, creativity, energy and flowing makes me think of water, ie. emotions, love,channeling, nurturing, openess.

the directions may literally mean going those directions, or perhaps they symbolize the elements and all they incorporate. i'm not going to try to interpret them for you, as many of us interpret the directions differently. the fact that you were so aware of the directions, could mean you are thinking clearly and aware of your choices and where each choice would take you.

i sure wouldn't just 'let go' of this guy. sounds like a friend worth keeping to me. even if you can't be with him literally, you seem to have a tie that transends distance. he was trustworthy (you left your daughter with him). he was willing to give up his life for you and your child. even letting go of the idea of a romantic relationship doesn't have to mean letting go of him as a close friend.

the helmet and car are both the same 'dome' shape. very cave or womb like. very comforting and protective shapes. see again the color orange. the car protecting you both physically, the helmet protecting your head/thoughts. this says to me; if you can 'keep your head', you will both be safe.

again the 'orange' sure ties in with the calmness during stress.

Mimers

Thank you

Zorya,

Thank you very much. Your insights meant a lot to me. As I read your thoughts on the symbolism, I lot came to me.

A very strong part of the dream was seeing my river evaporate from the fire. The river has been my refuge ever since I was a young girl. To see it evaporate into thin air was a very painful thing. I think now that this symbolized that I am letting go of the emotional ties I have felt towards Ray, because they have held me back from moving on. I know I need to and it is painfull.

That my daughter was with me I believe symbolizes my reasons for not relocating to Chicago was because of my children.

As for Ray, I will never let go of him as a friend. I doubt he would let me anyway. If he wants to be with me he'll have to come to NY, otherwise, friends it will be.

Thanks again,
Mimers

Alex

I see

Your fear of losing this man because of practical concerns you have. His actions representing your concerns projected onto him in the dream. You are bound with your daugher and you both are drift away together. He dies, meanig part of you dies as a consequence of the loss. Your conclusion that you must let it go of him is but a reflection of this fear: the pain that will come from losing him.

Hope that helps.

Alex.

Mimers said:

Well its obviously about the choice I made not moving to Chicago. I also see the message that I need to let go of Ray. What about the lava. How in my dream I am so concious of the directions (I am facing North, the lava coming from the east, the helmet at my mom's in the south and the car drifting west.) What about the helmet. And all the orange?
Look forward to some insight.
Thanks,
Mimi

Mimers

You know how your heart feels when you know someone has hit the nail on the head, and you don't want to face it? Kind of like someone is squeezing your heart. Well, Alex, I think you hit the nail on the head. I am afraid of loosing him. Don't want to loose him, but if I don't let go, I'll die, because it is keeping me from moving on with my life.

My Grandma Julia once said to me, "Mimi, dreams are good, every one must have them because they are what make us want to keep on living when every thing is going wrong. But if you spend your life wishing for what you can never have, it will keep your dreams from coming true".

This was her responce when I told her I wanted to be a princess when I grew up. Still waiting for that prince :(

Thanks Alex for showing me what I didn't want to see.

Alex

F. Perlz, the guy who conceptualized Gestalt Therapy, used this technique to help his patients learn more from their dreams: you look at every person or object in the dream as aspects of yourself. You go on asking yoursel: what if I were the car, the lava, the helmet, the daughter or Ray? What do each of these objects, or persons, wish, want, fear...what role do they have in the dream?

It's not an interpretation techinique, as Freud's and his followers, but akin to psychodrama. As a means to learn more about the self without worrying too much about "meanings".

Re your friend and dreams, I've seen more than one couple working out long-term relationships. I guess it's a very personal thing and of course depends on how much people really want to keep the relationship going.

Alex.