Hematite Safe Method?

Kosjitov

Hi, I have a slighhhht emergency.

Basically, I have somewhere I have to be tomorrow looking all fluffy fruu-fuu and I have this hematite and what I believe to be sterling silver necklace. Do you know if baking soda will harm hematite? Or would I be good to try the baking soda and aluminum foil method for cleaning this?

Normally I'd suck it up and just try to clean it the normal way but the silvery bits are segmented like beads :( Same thing with the hematite- it's beady.

This is what it looks like: http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g390/kosjitov/JewelsNStones/SSPX0001.jpg

Thoughts? :(

wildchilde

that's beautiful! as far as I know baking soda would not harm hematite, however, I personally have never tried it so you might want to do a bit more research first. If it were me, I would test it on the uppermost part of the necklace to see the reaction and then if all goes well, do the whole thing. To be on the safe side, you may also just want to take a soft non-pilling cloth and gently rub the necklace to shine up the silvery bits without using any kind of cleaner.

Padma

you can also use a *tiny* amount of toothpaste and a very soft toothbrush, and clean it slowly and carefully this way - don't rub too hard! lol...as hematite scores about 5.5 to 6.5 on the Mohs scale of hardness, they should be able to take a small amount of *gentle* scrubbing with no distress.

Having said that, a buddy of mine carries chunks of Hematite in his pockets, along with the usual other pocket accretions like coins etc. and he plays with it all the time. It doesn't seem to scratch or anything...seems like a rather robust stone.

Kosjitov

Lotus Padma, that was actually the first thing I tried, but those beads are VERY tiny and it's seemingly impossible to get all around them!

I tried the baking soda and aluminum foil method out of pure frustration. It did a pretty good job. I think the jewelry was plated silver so it wasn't 100% but it is a far cry from what I had earlier. The tarnish came off for the most part, with a simple rub down the silvery chain part which took me over an hour for just the small parts with the toothbrush! What a relief. The hematite looks fine so we're all good :D

Totally relieved, since I do need this piece for tomorrow! >.<

Padma

Glad it all worked out for you, Kosjitov :) I also hope they do their metaphysical job, and provide you with strength and invulnerability, as well as lookin' purty! lol ;)