Here's what I know of the lenormand so far

Lil Red

This thread was split from Coffin Talk

Here's what I know of the lenormand so far:

1) There are a couple of traditions of lenormand, but it is best to stick to one
2) You have to frame your question well or else it will not make any sense.
3) It's like learning how to form sentences, so we're back in English class again :joke:
4) It's not like tarot cards and has a huge differences.
6) It is used for mundane purposes (I think)
7) Cheat notes are the playing cards, so if you know cartomancy then you are already ahead of us :p
8) Daily draws are the way to go so having a lenormand journal is preferable.
9) Combinations are important
10) Do not make your own definition or else you are not sticking to the tradition, but more of an oracle.

And that is what I know so far from speaking to other people and reading about it on blogs though I may be wrong. Oh well, I'm still learning. :D

Ryver

I have mixed feelings on that list, like number 10, 6, 1, and even 6 if 6 means mundane only.

For 10, and maybe I'm misunderstanding the phrase "make up your own definition" I think cards always speak to the reader so there will be times when your own journal will start to reveal new keywords to you for certain cards or combinations. Internet didn't exist when the tradition started so at some point people had to add to the tradition as they discovered by experience and possibly intuition mixed with wisdom which card/s indicate online activity.

And for 1, I'm not sure I am interpreting this one correctly either. I do agree (Thanks Rana George) that it is best to decide what cards says X to you and stick with that rather than trying to see it in multiple cards but I don't think I'd agree with necessarily sticking with someone else's preexisting system of keywords for every card just because they wrote it down before you.

I am emphatically nodding my head to 2, 3, 4 , 7, 8, 9 (you didn't have a number 5). I do struggle with 7, playing cards a bit since there are so many playing card systems and I have yet to settle all that in my head and Lenormand practice yet. For number 8, the daily journal teaches me so much, I don't see how I could be getting along without it.

Question framing (2) has been really interesting. I got used to vague "tell me about..." questions with Tarot and now am tightening up my entire focus, a good thing for more than just reading.

Teheuti

1) There are a couple of traditions of lenormand, but it is best to stick to one
2) You have to frame your question well or else it will not make any sense.
3) It's like learning how to form sentences, so we're back in English class again :joke:
4) It's not like tarot cards and has a huge differences.
6) It is used for mundane purposes (I think)
7) Cheat notes are the playing cards, so if you know cartomancy then you are already ahead of us :p
8) Daily draws are the way to go so having a lenormand journal is preferable.
9) Combinations are important
10) Do not make your own definition or else you are not sticking to the tradition, but more of an oracle.
It's a great idea to come up with your own list like this! I'm not going to quibble about minor points. Here are my major differences.

6) Lenormand works great for mundane questions. It can also be used for more psychological or philosophical ones, although, personally, I find Tarot to be richer for those (this is a very personal choice based on what works for me).

7) English and French playing card meanings DO NOT correspond to the Lenormand cards in terms of meanings (if they do as a whole, please show me!). The old German Sheepshead or Jass cartomancy system does; both decks appear on the original Game of Hope. Spades (Green Leaves) is the best suit, along with Hearts (the same). Clubs (Acorns) is the worst suit. Diamonds (Bells) is very risky with a mix of bad and good. (Aces and 10s don't always follow suit.) Some people use only Court Card associations (making allowances for the German suits), and others, once they get the difference, will note how many of each suit are present. Others just pay attention to the playing card numbers and use them for deriving a final sum card.

8) Daily spreads are good for practice, but often operate at a whole different level than you'll find when doing readings for others - and especially when using larger spreads. Perhaps a better (or alternative) practice is to draw cards for the plot of a TV show or movie, or to try to predict the characteristics of who will win a reality show. (I use Lenormand for plot and to describe a person, and Tarot for the central theme/conflict of a movie or play and for character motivations.)

10) You will accrue meanings through use, but if you start with and really get to know the core keywords, then your later additions will work closely with the key ideas.

Tarot tends to be read symbolically - the images are multi-valenced with infinite meanings even when they follow a particular 'archetype.' Lenormand is more emblematic (and developed out of the emblematic tradition). There are specific meanings to each emblem (constrained to a limited range). They tend to be more moralistic (as are emblems) in that some cards can be deemed positive and others negative (with some variation depending on surrounding cards).

Of course, you can choose to read the 36 Lenormand cards any way you want.

Lil Red

Apparently I forgot number 5. I knew I was forgetting something. :joke:

Hhmm, I need to rewrite my list cause what you guys says makes sense though I had no idea that even cartomancy has other multiple meaning.
Okay, so it will definitely be a good idea that I discard the cartomancy at the moment, especially since it makes no sense in juggling to forms of divination. I feel that things will get confusing along the way. Also, I finally received "The Essential Lenormand" by Rana George so I can finally sit down and take my time to digest the material.

Ryver

Hhmm, I need to rewrite my list cause what you guys says makes sense though I had no idea that even cartomancy has other multiple meaning.
Okay, so it will definitely be a good idea that I discard the cartomancy at the moment, especially since it makes no sense in juggling to forms of divination. I feel that things will get confusing along the way. Also, I finally received "The Essential Lenormand" by Rana George so I can finally sit down and take my time to digest the material.

I'm really grateful that you posted your list. I hadn't really organized my thoughts on the system or how I view my progress. This thread in general and that list you posted are both a tremendous help to me on this.

I don't do much with the playing cards either as I'm about to comment below Teheuti's quote.

7) English and French playing card meanings DO NOT correspond to the Lenormand cards in terms of meanings (if they do as a whole, please show me!). The old German Sheepshead or Jass cartomancy system does; both decks appear on the original Game of Hope. Spades (Green Leaves) is the best suit, along with Hearts (the same). Clubs (Acorns) is the worst suit. Diamonds (Bells) is very risky with a mix of bad and good. (Aces and 10s don't always follow suit.) Some people use only Court Card associations (making allowances for the German suits), and others, once they get the difference, will note how many of each suit are present. Others just pay attention to the playing card numbers and use them for deriving a final sum card.

8) Daily spreads are good for practice, but often operate at a whole different level than you'll find when doing readings for others - and especially when using larger spreads. Perhaps a better (or alternative) practice is to draw cards for the plot of a TV show or movie, or to try to predict the characteristics of who will win a reality show. (I use Lenormand for plot and to describe a person, and Tarot for the central theme/conflict of a movie or play and for character motivations.)

Thanks for the info about the card systems, I've been keeping my use of the playing cards light while I get the hang of the rest of the system. I tend to use them as you described for finding a sum card and also look at things like suits, pairs, and a wee bit on court cards. Other than that, I haven't been attempting "read them.

I am starting to notice a different in the daily reads and reads done for specific questions in the way the cards need to be evaluated. Perhaps I will try the TV show idea.