Hmm???

Athena

Hello Everyone!

I feel a little silly asking this question, but I know this is the best place for it :)
In my experience, there has always been a vast difference between Oracle decks and Tarot decks. Am I the only one who thinks and feels this way?
Inside my head I even categorize them as similar, but still different. Even the energy involved *feels* drasticly different to me.
I'm curious how readings go with others when you use an Oracle deck? My Oracle Decks are very spiritual in nature, and the every day person seems to not connect as well. Is this a fault of mine? Am I not doing my job as a Reader???

dalilou

When I use an oracle deck the reading tends to be a lot more intense, possibly because oracles tend to be more spiritually based (?) or the fact that the meanings of the cards themselves are usually more specific or delve deeper with longer explanations and sometimes a prayer to go along with it.
So don't think that you're alone...

Athena

I definitely hear you about it being more intense, which I think is one of the reasons I strayed from straight Tarot for so long.
Which decks do you use, Oracle wise, if you don't mind me asking :)

Glad I'm not alone...

Dee 04

What decks r u referring to exactly????

dalilou

The deck I'm referring to is actually not my own- a friend of mine does readings for me with the Faery Oracle sometimes and will lend me a card for a few hours to meditate on. But other than that, I think she really feels closer to the deck and that helps to make it more in-depth also.
I used to use the Tarot of the Orisha which is not really tarot but closer to a divination deck and the energy in the room was thick and palpable. Almost too powerful.
I've been thinking about getting the Faerie's Oracle or the Goddess Oracle.
I wonder if anyone has an oracle deck they they feel close to?

Dee 04

dalilou:
In the old forum I remember discussing the Tarot of the Orisa with you. I do not read this one but I know someone who does. She'd agree with your experience of the "energy being palpable."

I read Tarot and I am not too familiar with many oracle/divination decks (is it the same thing?).
The only deck I own that is a divination deck is the Medicine Cards. But now I am getting curious...

Dee 04

what i mena by "is it the same thing" is between oracle and divination. I know the difference b/w a Tarot deck and a divination deck.

truthsayer

i've worked w/ several different oracle systems over the years: i ching, playing cards, dice, cartouche, runes, druid animal oracle, medicine cards, sacred path, and maybe more i can't remember. to me what's special about the tarot is that it's like a beloved story that has many different renditions. it's like in mythology, all civilizations have a creation myth and other stories come out of the creation myth. a simpler example is boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back. i can't even count the number of books or movies based on this theme. each will have the author's individual flare but it's still the same theme but told in a fresh way. the tarot decribes the spiritual and mundane stages of growth of human kind. oracle systems seem to have more their individual personal flair that's often based on culture. for example, you aren't going to find a thread of the same story told in the i ching that's told in the runes. the tarot use the same story based on multiple individual interps of the collective unconscious. other tarot decks can be made about different cultures but there is a general predictable pattern as to what each stage is going to be even if the arthor changes the names of some of the cards. you prob won't see this happening in oracle systems. the tarot has a continuing history over the centuries. not all oracle systems have a connection that goes back centuries except maybe the i ching and a couple others. i think it would be pretty difficult to set the i ching up to work like tarot and vice versa. i know there are i ching cards but i don't know if this is an attempt to make an i ching tarot. i know from what i've seen of rune cards, i felt disappointed in comparison w/ tarot or the clay runes. some thing seemed lost in the translation.

keep in my i'm no expert on the differences. this is just my opinion.

Athena

Dee,
Th decks are very different, I mean between Oracle and tarot. One example is there is no cups, swords, or any of that. Most Oracle decks are set around a theme, one of my favorites being the Druid Animal Oracle, which is thee most beautiful cards (in my oinion). The cards have pictures of animals, then the oracular meaning for the spread, and then ancient stories passed down about each particular animal. The Druids believed that animals were very sacred, and that each one had a lesson or wisdom that it could teach people.
So, basicly, there is a theme, and the interpretations are much longer, and intensely spiritual if you can open up to the power of animals. Plus, I have found that animals are intensely attracted to the area where I give my readings. They almost look at you like "yeah, now you're starting to get it." :)
It is likewise with other Oracle decks. Like the Faerie Oracle, which I also have. It not only gives you oraclular guidance and the possibility of friendship with the fey folk, but it can also teach you to be more aware of your own surroundings. And if you are lucky, to actually see the fairies!!
I suppose the overview of Oracle Decks is to open one's mind in different ways, depending on what deck you use.
I just find that when I try to give a reading to an every-day-person, when I start talking about the power of the salmon, they look a little weird at me. (Not that I'm not used to weird looks :) ) Plus, there is an energy in the room that I just don't get with the Tarot. For me, it is almost like coming in contact, or being watched by a higher power. I feel connected to the world.
I hope this helped, Dee!

Athena

Dee 04

That is very interesting Athena - the way you describe the difference in energies. I already knew the difference b/w Tarot and Divination decks. My question was "is an oracle deck the same as a divination deck" and your answer seemed to have been yes. I find this interesting since as divination decks I only own the Medicine Cards (which I love) and I will purchase the Soul Cards 1 and 2 tomorrow.
What about them, in your opinion, do you find them more spiritual?