Honesty in reading...even if you sense it isn't what the querent wants to hear

graylensman

I've been trying my hand at reading for others in the Your Readings board, using this as practice for interpreting tarot. I just did my interpretation for a young lady here (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=2556707&posted=1#post2556707).

While my reading is honestly what I think the cards were saying, I also get the sense that it really wasn't what the querent would hope the cards were saying (judging by her initial interpretation).

She posted her reading about why she can't move past her feelings for a certain guy. She was confused by what the cards were telling her. So, as I interpreted those very same cards, I came to the conclusion that maybe she should have some sort of relationship with this guy and it could be a good thing for her.

But I don't really know her, or her situation. What if she originally left this guy because he was a jerk? Or a liar? Or abusive? Is this one of those instances where one has to have faith in The Power of Tarot?

So, how do others deal with this sort of situation?

Sinduction

I don't even begin to presume that I know what my sitter wants to hear. If all i do is second guess myself then I'm not a very good reader.

I say what I get from the cards, that's what my job is. :D

misfitknits

i agree with sinduction here. you never know what other people are thinking or wanting to hear, unless you've had a conversation with them previously or something. but in my opinion, even if you've talked with this person or not, i would ALWAYS say what i see in the cards. even if it's not what i THINK the person wants to hear, or even if it's not the most positive message (there ARE ways to deliver a message that's not-so-good).

so bottom line: i would ALWAYS tell a sitter EXACTLY what i see in the cards.

SunriseDesire

I agree...you gotta be honest. When I post my readings, sure I wish for a good outcome, but... I need the truth. Its up the the other person to take the message given and make their own choices.

yirabeth

Agreeing with the others..you gotta say what you see, although you can say it in a nice way as opposed to blunt and hard. Maybe what you say is just what they need in the long run, and they'll thank you for that eventually...or not. That part doesn't matter though...if you can't say what the cards are showing you, then reading tarot isn't for you I think...or rather, reading for others with tarot isn't for you. (generic 'you' not meaning the OP at all!)

On the other hand, you gotta say what the cards say not what you think...LOL This has happened to me; I think something about an issue, but when requested to pull a card/s on it, the cards say otherwise. So, I go with that...I am not infallible but the cards will tell the truth if I'm willing to listen :)

~Yira

celticnoodle

i also agree. it's not always an easy thing to do, but you cannot presume anything and must read the cards as you see them. don't worry about telling them what they may 'want' to hear. your job is to read the cards as YOU see them. not every reading can be happy and jolly. it's just not the way life is.

graylensman

Thanks, everyone, for the supportive replies. It affirms my decision to post what I read.

The irony is, the querent seemed to not want good news! It seemed like she was talking herself out of that in her initial post.

But there were amazing synergies throughout the cards, and I really responded to that as I wrote out my reading. After I posted my interpretation, the lady thanked me and said that my reading resonated for her... so I guess I did the right thing after all. :)

Alissa

When I read, I have to put the "people pleaser" part of my personality in the background. As a libra, it ain't easy but a reading is not about what the sitter wants to hear. It's about what the cards want to say.

For me, to give the best reading I can I have to "get out of my own way."

Learn not to judge yourself or your reader - this helps eliminate a thousand worries (did I shuffle long enough? did I grab the right deck? what color candle should I use? I forgot to light a candle!) as well as a thousand doubts (the sitter doesn't agree with what I just said, the sitter just crossed her arms I think I made her mad, the sitter is frowning at me now what if she thinks I suck at reading?)

Show up. Lay cards. Open mouth. Shut mouth. That's a good reading for me! :D No Analysis!!!

ETA: This is just me, but that is a huge spread she linked to as well. 11 cards can sometimes be way Too Much Information.

gregory

Alissa said:
Show up. Lay cards. Open mouth. Shut mouth. That's a good reading for me! :D No Analysis!!!
Right on ! As soon as you start to second guess, you start to distrust the cards.

Alissa said:
ETA: This is just me, but that is a huge spread she linked to as well. 11 cards can sometimes be way Too Much Information.
That too - I am big on single card readings, myself...