how did you start?

moon

Where did you begin to start learning the Tarot? Did you memorize meanings from books? How did you begin? And how did you get to the level you're at now?

And, of course, what do you do to continue learning?

~Jess

Jewel

About 7 years ago I was in a book store and walked through the section that had Tarot decks and the Robin Wood Tarot cought my eye. I started looking around and noticed that most books for begginers focused on the Raider Wait so I bought a book and the Raider Waite deck. Needless to say that in less than 2 weeks I went and got the deck I really wanted (Robin Wood) *LOL* ... I did not connect with the Raider Wait. I then starting buying all sorts of book (most of which I never read *LOL*) on the Tarot ... but finally started going through the deck and keeping a journal of impressions, symbolism that cought my eye, etc. Then I would start researching these things. Later I compared my impressions to those in various of the books collecting dust on my shelves and realized how intuitive the Tarot really is! My impressions varied a bit, but there were many similarities.

I have an inquiring mind and love research ... so my path has lead me to a sort of academic approach to Tarot vs. divination. I am currently brushing up on some basics so that I can take on the larger task of studying various decks in context of the Qabalah and hopefully writing something about it that will make sense and be in simple English related to the Tarot and the Qabalah ... possibly address some of the controversy over the correlation and look into some rumors of the Golden Dawn having switched some cards along the pathways ... what can I say I am a research geek ~giggles~.

I also love collecting decks as the artwork of Tarot fascinates me. I now have about 33 decks and can't wait to get new additions.

Sorry this got so long ...

Kiama

I was 9 years old. I don't really recall excatly how I started out with Tarot. But I do remember saving really pitiful amounts of money for ages and ages until I had about 5 quid, and going to the shops and buying a really cheap and tacky deck.

Well, 8 years on, and I'm still here, so it can't have been a wrong decision.

Kiama

Mojo

Actually, I got you beat by a year, Kiama... started when I was 8.

Found a book in the public library with pictures of the cards. I was fascinated by them and so I went over to the five and dime and bought a package of index cards and went back to the library and traced the card images. Didn't bother to read the descriptions or anything, but I would sit on the beach and flip the cards over and tell stories from them.

Didn't actually read any books on Tarot until I was in college and then I was surprised at how close I had come to the book meanings.

truthsayer

i can't even remember when my interests in divination began. my mother brought me up reading edgar cayce instead of the Bible and other mystical type stuff. it was great! i didn't even realize until i was around 15 or so that other families don't sit around and play w/ dice, dominoes, numerology, automatic writing, astrology, cards, etc. as family fun. a friend's severely fundamentalist baptist father made it his mission in life for about 5 years to make me stop doing tarot, etc. he only set me on fire to learn more to spite him--yeah, i was that kind of kid but it could have been worse than tarot that i was being spiteful about! }> i learned about tarot from my 9th grade english teacher. i was doing a speech on numerology to the class. she asked me if i had ever tried tarot cards. i'd never heard of tarot but i didn't rest until i got my first deck from jcpenney. i saved my babysitting money and bought it for $13! it was the hoi polloi.

how did i learn to read it? practicing and reading my book at lot. looking a the pictures and trying to imagine about what the symbols meant. i also read quite widely and that helps a lot, too. i think expanding your mind in other ways than learning tarot meanings is a definite must. when most kids in my community were learning Bible verses and singing hymns, i was learning Tarot like it was my Bible and my spiritual guide.

Kaz

It started with me buying a deck about a year ago. That was the RW deck, I think now it was not the right deck that I bought, because I had been trying to learn from those cards for about two weeks and these cards just didn't do anything for me. I don't like them to look at, they just don't speak to me. So, I put them away and didn't think about it anymore til I came acros them a couple of weeks ago. Which made me decide to look on the net for a nicer deck, I found this wonderful site here with all those decks and people on the forums and this is quite inspiring.

So, for me it hasn't really started, I took out the RW deck again (haven't got other deck yet) and I decided to get myself the Osho Zen deck, I fell in love with that deck the moment I saw the artwork. Other deck I really like is the Robin Wood.
What I do now with my RW deck is looking at the cards, see if there is a story in it. But I find this hard to do cos I don't like the deck. That's why I am grateful Thirteen is posting the 'card of the day' story in the other forum, that helps me a lot....

Kaz

tiger lily

Wow, truthsayer, I do envy you! Not that my family was fundamentalist christians (in fact, religion was never an issue at all - it didn?t exist ), but I simply had no access to any "occult" stuff whatsoever...

I discovered Tarot in a womens? magazine (sad, I know ;-) ) and went and bought Rachel Pollack?s 78 Degrees which was the only book on Tarot in the bookstore. Unfortunately, they didn?t carry Tarot *decks* and I was too shy to ask, so for two years I had nothing but the book which I read religiously...

Then I finally discovered a Rider-Waite deck-and-book set and began to read for myself with devastating results. It was an on-and-off affair for over ten years.

Then I got a computer and had access to the internet. Yay! I joined tarot lists, ordered books and decks like mad and made quick progress. When I began to read for other people, I was amazed how accurate my readings were. I still have to pretend that I read for someone else to get accurate results for myself...

What I do to continue learing? Well, right now I?m on a plateau, taking a deep breath and looking around. I don?t know how to progress and in which direction, to be honest. I feel restless - I want to discover something new, but can?t find anything on the net that isn?t Tarot 101...

So right now, i?m into Astrology, Numerology and Qabalah... should keep me busy for a while...

Kiama
04 Nov 2001

Quote:Mojo (03 Nov, 2001 09:46):

*Kiama stomps around, pouts, goes green with envy, pouts, and stomps some more.* DAMN!

caraMiaculpa
06 Nov 2001

when i was in middle school, i started questioning a lot of things (hey, i was depressed) and i was desperate to find answers anywhere, but in a non-traditional way. i started exploring paganism with some friends of mine. my family sort of picked up on it, but didn't really approve. but my aunt Tonya was kind enough so that for my 13th birthday, i recieved my first tarot deck (Rider-Waite). mom was not pleased, and threatened to have the cards exorcised or something, but i won out in the end. so here i am nearly 8 years later, still reading, by no means an expert, and the owner of 7 decks. i now collect, which fascinates my friends. i also do readings for them, that way i keep practicing. (on a side note, reading tarot has been a great way to get guys. yes, that's a shallow girly thing, but hey, when you're a 20 year old university girl, there's not much else you think about. classes? *pfft*)

marichan
07 Nov 2001

Hi there!

I was in my freshman year of high school when I discovered the Mythic Tarot & Book set. I was taking Latin classes and enamored of all things related to Mythology since most of our lessons revolved around Roman/Greek Myths. When I first spotted the cards, I made a bee-line for them. Not really familiar with Tarot, I read the back of the box a few times. It wasn't particularly enlightening, but I knew I wanted the cards for the art and the book for the promised exploration of the myths.

Sadly, I left without them that day because I couldn't afford them, and I wasn't sure about asking mom to help me out (it was an "occult" item after all :eek: ). Next trip though, I pointed them out to her, and to my surprise, she knew what they were and actually thought they were nice. Once again, I had to leave without them (we were both lacking in funds), but she eventually purchased them for me (yay mom! ;D ). Once in my possession I read the mythic book from cover to cover, over and over as I found myself in love with the concept, and this was the only deck I had.

Later on (junior year?) my aunt lent me her Tarot of the Cat People (she got it free with a reading - and btw, I still have it ;P ). I tried working with the "little white book" but it didn't compare to the MT book. The size limited the author to "keywords" which I found more hindrance than help.

In college, my resources grew and I picked up about 4 additional decks as well as a few books on the subject. To me, this was a major step forward in the learning process. By seeing how the same cards were interpreted in different artistic manners, and reading books with different approaches to the Tarot, I was able to widen my own perceptions.

To this day I still read as much as I can, be it on-line or paperback. The public library is indispensable as I can read almost all the titles available, and decide before purchasing, which ones I really want to have on my bookshelf. I also occasionally buy new decks, in search of what speaks to me.

The greatest learning tool though, is just reading spreads. Whether it's sample spreads in a book, or spreads people post, learning to interpret the cards in different positions and combinations is what keeps me on my toes! I love the challenge!

-mari :)

Jeanette
07 Nov 2001

I was shopping in a book store this spring, and saw a miniature book with a complete deck of 78 miniature cards (they are so tiny, only about as big as my thumb nail). I was so fascinated and intrigued by them, firstly because they were so TINY and secondly because they were tarot cards. Then while on vacation at the New Jersey boardwalk, there was a shop that sold decks and did readings. I didn't get a reading, but I did buy the Rider-Waite deck colored by Mary Hanson Roberts. My husband said I would go blind if I kept using the tiny cards; he was probably right! When I got home, I got every book I could get my hands on at the library where I work, took notes, made photocopies, etc., for my journal. The neat thing about tarot, for me, is how it's opened a whole new world of thinking and viewing life in general, plus hooking me up with all you great folks :) Now I'm interested in Wicca, other types of divination, astrology, everything! This is obviously a journey that has just begun for me...... Jeanette

Kiama
07 Nov 2001

Jeanette: I know what you mean when you say that Tarot has opened the world up for you. Through the Tarot, I have learned things which I never wouldhave learned otherwise. Ithink it's helped me so much with my A-level studies recetly, what with having to analyse texts for English, and discuss various topics and defend my viewpoint in Philsophy... Without Tarot I wouldn't have got very far. Tarot has insipred me, and given me a good kick up the backside when I needed to be taught a lesson.

It's strange the various scraps of knowledge that I have acquired through the years from the Tarot. I suppose it introduced me to Paganism aswell, and other forms of divination such as the Runes. It's also made mea better critic of artwork!

Anyway, enough of my ramblings...

Kiama

EveAnna
07 Nov 2001

Deleted

blumoon
18 Nov 2001

about 3 years ago i found some tarot cards in one of my mums wardrobe drawers that she had bought from a 2 dollar shop and thought i would start to learn about them, i had seen the cards before but didnt really think much about them

i borrowed a few books from the library, one being my tarot bible so to speak, it really accelerated my understanding and made me see how the tarot IS life

i heard that a friend of my brothers was into runes a few months ago and did some research on them, i couldnt afford runes so i made temporary ones but didnt really get into properly studying them, recently i came across the haindl rune oracle deck online and they caught my eye, it didnt even occur to me that you could use the tarot as runes :)

ive dabbled in dowsing but have put that on the back burner for a while, i am also into astrology, it is such a huge subject to learn about i only know a small amount, i am currently studying numerology and how it works with the tarot, tigerlily said that she is figuring out which direction to go in and i am in the same boat, thats why i am starting to branch out into numerology i guess ;-) the tarot has definately opened my eyes! apart from that i have found out many interesting stories about my relatives that i wouldnt have believed, i always thought my dad thought that stuff like numerology, tarot, etc was a load of bunkum but i found out that many years ago he went to see a numerologist and went to see a tarot reader with my mum and my grandmother, the tarot reader was pretty famous in australia at the time and he lived in the area, and that my mum has been to a few tarot readers since then, there i was thinking all along that my parents were sceptics of the metaphysical hehehe

slinky_jo
26 Nov 2001

i have a long and trippy story to tell you!!!

when i was 17 i half got kicked out of home/half ran away. my very good male friend was having trouble at home, so i snuck him into the family home so he could stay the night. i had a broken collar bone at the time, so even if i had wanted to do anything i couldnt! anyway mum found him in my bed the next morning (with both of us fully clothed, as we'd fallen alseep talking about our troubles), and kicked him out. she then went fully psycho - even called in sick to work, balling her eyes out! she did not want to hear my side of the story - infact, i got a pretty wicked thrashing from her. i got so pissed off that i packed a very small cardboard box of things (like undies and sox, a few books, etc) and scampered off to where another friend was bunking down.

i lived in this weird govt housing project for a month or so. there were about four people my age there, and the guy who actually paid the rent there was this alcoholic gay 60 year old man who proclaimed to be a druid! we got smashed every night on pot, magick mushrooms, and gin - lots of gin!!

this old codger read my tarot cards for me one night. he didnt predict my future, but told me things from my past that i had never told anyone. he also told me "never feel guilty - ever." and i still adhere to those words.

anyway, when i finally got my act together, i moved in with a friend and his cool family (yes, for some reason known only to the goddess, my life centred around males at that time - i think i needed to absorb their strength and masculinity). one day we decided to visit the chinese markets downtown that now do not exist. i cant remember anything of that day except picking up a rider waite tarot deck and buying it with money that i cant remember having.

that night i placed the tarot cards under my pillow - i didnt want to look at them without doing this, for some reason. and that night i had a very freaky experience. i remember waking up in the middle of the night with lightning flashing through the windows, then suddenly all these young choir/page boys were lined up against the wall of the room. they were all in long white gowns and had dark hair in "bowl cut" style. they were all looking at me. i screamed, and my friend woke up (in the camper bed his mum made him sleep in so i could have his bed!!). as soon as he said my name, the strange boys vanished.

weird.

anyway the next day i pulled out the tarot cards from under the pillow and so it began!

i am now ready i think to progress to a new deck. i have had the rider waite for ages and really got a lot from it. but i think im at a stage in my life where i need a new deck. the r/w deck has helped me through my teenage and early twenties when i was stuck at a crossroads. but i've found that i've grown and have made a decision in my life about where im headed, and i'd like to acquire a new deck to celebrate this.

anyway - i hope no one was bored! cheers

The how did you start? thread was originally posted on 02 Nov 2001 in the Talking Tarot board, and is now archived in the Forum Library. Read the threads in Talking Tarot, or read more archived threads.

Kiama

Quote:Mojo (03 Nov, 2001 09:46):

*Kiama stomps around, pouts, goes green with envy, pouts, and stomps some more.* DAMN!

caraMiaculpa

when i was in middle school, i started questioning a lot of things (hey, i was depressed) and i was desperate to find answers anywhere, but in a non-traditional way. i started exploring paganism with some friends of mine. my family sort of picked up on it, but didn't really approve. but my aunt Tonya was kind enough so that for my 13th birthday, i recieved my first tarot deck (Rider-Waite). mom was not pleased, and threatened to have the cards exorcised or something, but i won out in the end. so here i am nearly 8 years later, still reading, by no means an expert, and the owner of 7 decks. i now collect, which fascinates my friends. i also do readings for them, that way i keep practicing. (on a side note, reading tarot has been a great way to get guys. yes, that's a shallow girly thing, but hey, when you're a 20 year old university girl, there's not much else you think about. classes? *pfft*)

marichan

Hi there!

I was in my freshman year of high school when I discovered the Mythic Tarot & Book set. I was taking Latin classes and enamored of all things related to Mythology since most of our lessons revolved around Roman/Greek Myths. When I first spotted the cards, I made a bee-line for them. Not really familiar with Tarot, I read the back of the box a few times. It wasn't particularly enlightening, but I knew I wanted the cards for the art and the book for the promised exploration of the myths.

Sadly, I left without them that day because I couldn't afford them, and I wasn't sure about asking mom to help me out (it was an "occult" item after all :eek: ). Next trip though, I pointed them out to her, and to my surprise, she knew what they were and actually thought they were nice. Once again, I had to leave without them (we were both lacking in funds), but she eventually purchased them for me (yay mom! ;D ). Once in my possession I read the mythic book from cover to cover, over and over as I found myself in love with the concept, and this was the only deck I had.

Later on (junior year?) my aunt lent me her Tarot of the Cat People (she got it free with a reading - and btw, I still have it ;P ). I tried working with the "little white book" but it didn't compare to the MT book. The size limited the author to "keywords" which I found more hindrance than help.

In college, my resources grew and I picked up about 4 additional decks as well as a few books on the subject. To me, this was a major step forward in the learning process. By seeing how the same cards were interpreted in different artistic manners, and reading books with different approaches to the Tarot, I was able to widen my own perceptions.

To this day I still read as much as I can, be it on-line or paperback. The public library is indispensable as I can read almost all the titles available, and decide before purchasing, which ones I really want to have on my bookshelf. I also occasionally buy new decks, in search of what speaks to me.

The greatest learning tool though, is just reading spreads. Whether it's sample spreads in a book, or spreads people post, learning to interpret the cards in different positions and combinations is what keeps me on my toes! I love the challenge!

-mari :)